• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Deeper look at the roster and needs.

(Note: not listing any fringe players on a 1 year/expiring deal)

Offense

QB -
    1) Rivers looks good for the next 3-4 years.
    2) Sorensen should take over as the backup next season when CBJ's contract expires.

No changes over the offseason

RB -
    1) Woodhead still under contract for another season. I would look to extend him, seems tailor made for this type of offense.

2) Matthews still under contract for another season guaranteed. We all know his issues. Clearly he's unreliable.

3) McClain - Is virtually never on the field. I expect him to be cut.

We should see multiple additions over the offseason.

WR -
    1) Allen - Solid for years to come.

2) Brown - Solid 3rd WR IMO

3) Royal - Still under contract for 1 more season, potential cut candidate. Inclined to retain him at this point provided he can remain healthy.

4) Floyd - Guaranteed for next season, cut candidate his final season.

5) DX - I would love to retain him if we can get him on a vet min deal. He's pretty much a lotto ticket.

Don't expect to see significant changes over the offseason. Possibly 1 draft pick.

TE -
    1) Gates - Having a bounce back year, actual worth his salary. Don't think there's anyway the franchise allows him to leave. He will retire a Charger

2) Green - Clearly has shown signs of being a weapon. Injury away from showing it.

3) Philips - Meh. He hasn't shown much, not on the field all that often. Signed for 2 more seasons.

No Changes.

OL -
    1) Fluker (RT) - Position is set for years.

2) Clary (RG) - Has proven much more effective at RG than at RT. Despite his play, I wouldn't retain him at his 6.25 cap figure. If he keeps playing at this level, I would work out an extension to lower his overall cap numbers. Somewhere in the 4.5 mil/yr range seems in line with other OG's at about his level of production. If we do cut him, that frees up 4.55 to replace him in FA. Ideally they make a deal and don't have to eat the dead cap space.

3) Hardwick (C) - He's playing at a probowl level. 5.65 cap number next season, 3.9 million savings. Don't think we'll have an option of cutting him this upcoming season (last on his contract). We have no one behind him. My priority draft pick on the O line following LT is a C to groom behind Hardwick for the year.

4) Rinehart (LG) - Already hurt on the season, which was the big knock on him coming into the season. More suited to be a backup IMO because it just doesn't seem you can rely on the guy. A near vet min contract would be in order for next year as he has proven he can play fairly well.

5) Troutman (LG) - Shown flashes of being able to play in the league. I would actually prefer he retains the starting position the rest of the way to get a good read on his long term starting potential.

6) Dunlap (LT/RT) - Signed for another season. Has proven solid in pass blocking, not so great in run blocking. Ideal swing OT.

7) Harris (LT/RT) - Had a decent game vs. the Cowboys, but gave up a brutal blowby sack vs. the Raiders at a crucial time. Something we saw all too often last year. Actually think he may benefit from moving inside ala Clary. Cut candidate dependant on the draft

8) Becton (LT) - He didn't suck in his short amount of game action (aside from the penalty). If we can make a backup out of him, that would be ideal. Cut candidate dependant on the draft.

I expect 2 additions to the group at LT and OG/C over the offseason.

Defense

D Line
    1) Liuget - Has underperformed so far. Improved play vs. the Raiders, but still much left to be desired. Still under 2 more seasons of team control.

2) Reyes - Virtually invisible this season. Sophomore slump? I don't see him getting double teamed that often and he's not winning 1 on 1 battles. In any case not going anywhere, under team control for 2 more years.

3) Lissemore - Starting to get more snaps and getting noticed. Signed for 3 more seasons at dirt cheap prices. Solid rotational run stuffing end.

4) Geathers - Has seen sparse amount of snaps after the Houston game. Inactive vs. Raiders. He may get a shot at starting if Cam continues to play so poorly.

5) Jerideau - On IR, still under team control. Cut candidate.

I expect to see us shore up our NT position this offseason. Cam clearly hasn't been the answer and there's really no point signing him to an extension based on his play. I wouldn't rule out a young veteran option (or two) being brought in on a 2-3 year contract.

OLB

1) Ingram - Should fill the starting OLB role on the team next year.

2) JJ - Has been our best defensive player so far this season. Still solid play from him at SOLB.

3) Freeney - 3.5 million saved if cut. Ideally he splits time with JJ to keep both of them fresh. Cut candidate.

4) T. Williams - Hasn't shown much so far. Was very raw coming in so not all that surprising.

5) Keiser - signed through 2014. Don't expect much out of him. Cut candidate.

I expect the team to use it's 1st or 2nd round pick on a OLB as long as the value is there. We need SPEED on the edges. With the popularity that the read option has gained, we just can't afford to not have someone on the edge that can actually chase down a mobile QB. Come on down Mr. Barr!

ILB

1) Te'o - Will be here for the next few seasons. Incomplete

2) Butler - Injured and poor play to start the season. His extension price keeps going down. ILB's are one of the more readily available positions available in the draft and in FA. He sure isn't worth the price tag some of you were predicting in the offseason.

3) Gachkar - ST demon, signed for the min. Cut candidate.

4) Mouton - Can be cut for virtually his entire salary. He's gone.

We will need a massive infusion of bodies here. I can see Te'o being the only player retained if Butler is let go. Speed is of prime importance here. 3rd round picks seem ideal for this position.

Cornerback

1) Cox - Signed for 3 more years. Not going anywhere.

2) Wright - Signed for another season. Hasn't shown he can stay healthy. We still don't really know what we have in him.

3) Steve Williams - On IR. Fastest of the CB group. Ideally takes over NB duties.

4) Patrick/Crezdon - Cut please.

CB needs a major infusion of talent. Draft picks, vets, both.

Safety

1) Weddle - Think they are asking too much of him. Just leave him in the damn secondary already.

2) Gilchrist - The safety experiment is failing so far. He's either too slow to play the position or can't recognize the play in time. Either way, he's been a colossal failure so far when he's asked to be the last line of defense.

3) Taylor - Your guess is as good as mine. Personally don't think he's the solution back there.

4) Addae - Tries hard, just seems like a step too late. Ideally suited to be a backup.

We need a serious infusion of play making ability at S. I would make a run at signing Jarius Byrd long term this offseason. The revolving door needs to end.

Conclusion
    In order to fill our NEEDS, we need like 8-10 draft picks. Obviously it's not going to happen in one offseason. This doesn't even take depth into account.

I expect about 20 new players on the 53 man roster again this upcoming offseason.
    Last edited by Beerman; 10-07-2013, 11:57 PM.
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Good analysis but I think a few of the young players might impress by the time the season is over with more experience under their belt and that might change the outlook.

I agree that Freeney is a likely cut candidate and English is worthless (what in the world did AJ see in this guy?). An OLB with the 1st pick is almost a no-brainer at this point but they're going to need to either draft another later in the draft or bring in some promising free agents. And we still have to cross our fingers that Ingram is going to pan out. Who knows what we even have in him right now.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Pretty good analysis, Beerman. Anyone know what the cap for the Chargers looks like next year? I know they are still eating part of Gaither and Meachem's dead money, right? But will the cap be as dire as it was this year?

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

Good read. I'd like to see TT shore up some of the roster sooner rather than later. Go ahead and extend Clary and make his contract more cap friendly, than move on Butler. He knows haw many draft picks he does have at this point, so make a couple of subtle moves to position yourself.

FWIW, and this is just a hunch, but I think Freeney retires and OLB will by far be our biggest hole.
        sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Pretty good analysis, Beerman. Anyone know what the cap for the Chargers looks like next year? I know they are still eating part of Gaither and Meachem's dead money, right? But will the cap be as dire as it was this year?

TG
          The cap does not look good next year. I think they have to cut some guys to free up more money. Maybe restructure Weddle.

With the draft they can probably expect 2-3 starters. And a few more in free agency but I haven't been impressed with TT in free agency so far. He seems better at acquiring no name guys for depth. Hopefully that improves in year 2.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            The cap does not look good next year. I think they have to cut some guys to free up more money. Maybe restructure Weddle.

With the draft they can probably expect 2-3 starters. And a few more in free agency but I haven't been impressed with TT in free agency so far. He seems better at acquiring no name guys for depth. Hopefully that improves in year 2.
            Sadly, I agree. And after reading Beer's post, I'm actually LESS hopeful about this team in the near future. We are quite the talent-less mess. May need to just suck it up and start a MAJOR rebuilding effort - and call it that. Not this stupid "retooling" thing.

But...that's not good for business. So it ain't gonna happen. Which is why we'll probably always suck.

Apologies to all for the maximum downer post.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

C'mon now. Do we even know what the cap is going to be next year? People on this board have already determined that next years draft will be a bust, TT will suck in his FA signings and we won't have the cap space to keep our core players. All this without knowing where we will pick in the draft, who will be available in the draft and as a FA or what the cap will be set at next year.

You guys must have one helluva magic 8 ball.
              sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

No one has predicted the draft will be a bust or the free agent signings will suck.

Depending on the site used and the unknown as to next years league cap the Bolts have anywhere from 6-9mil under the cap. Not much
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Depending on the site used and the unknown as to next years league cap the Bolts have anywhere from 6-9mil under the cap. Not much
                  Weddle and Rivers can both restructure, Clary possibly? Personally, not as concerned about the direction of the team in the short run as some, I think the team makes some significant strides as soon as next year. The power of Rivers I guess. If he's traded, I might go completely baking on TT.

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Possible extension/restructures 2014:

Philip Rivers (Cap number: $16,666,666)

2010 $6,600,000 $5,110,000 $0 $0 $0 $11,710,000 $28,240,000 ($16,530,000)
                    2011 $8,400,000 $5,110,000 $0 $0 $0 $13,510,000 $16,530,000 ($3,020,000)
                    2012 $10,200,000 $5,110,000 $0 $0 $0 $15,310,000 $11,420,000 $3,890,000
                    2013 $7,000,000 $6,776,666 $0 $0 $0 $13,776,666 $11,310,000 $10,800,000
                    2014 $13,800,000 $2,866,666 $0 $0 $0 $16,666,666 $4,533,334 $13,800,000
                    2015 $15,750,000 $1,666,668 $0 $0 $0 $17,416,668 $1,666,668 $15,750,000
                    Eric Weddle (Cap number: $10,100,000)

2011 $1,000,000 $2,600,000 $0 $0 $0 $3,600,000 $19,000,000 ($15,400,000)
                    2012 $5,000,000 $2,600,000 $0 $0 $0 $7,600,000 $15,400,000 ($7,800,000)
                    2013 $6,000,000 $2,600,000 $0 $0 $0 $8,600,000 $7,800,000 $800,000
                    2014 $7,500,000 $2,600,000 $0 $0 $0 $10,100,000 $5,200,000 $4,900,000
                    2015 $7,500,000 $2,600,000 $0 $0 $0 $10,100,000 $2,600,000 $7,500,000
                    Clary (Cap number: $6,250,000 - Cap savings: $4,550,000)

2011 $1,800,000 $1,700,000 $0 $0 $0 $3,500,000 $6,800,000 ($3,300,000)
                    2012 $2,850,000 $1,700,000 $0 $0 $0 $4,550,000 $5,100,000 ($550,000)
                    2013 $4,000,000 $1,700,000 $0 $0 $0 $5,700,000 $3,400,000 $2,300,000
                    2014 $4,550,000 $1,700,000 $0 $0 $0 $6,250,000 $1,700,000 $4,550,000
                    Possible cuts 2014:

Dwight Freeney (Cap number: $5,125,000 - Cap savings: $3,500,000)
                    Eddie Royal (Cap number: $6,000,000 - Cap savings: $4,500,000)
                    Le'Ron McClain (Cap number:$3,333,334 - Cap savings: $2,500,000)
                    Ryan Mathews (Cap number: $3,112,000 - Cap HIT: $155,500)
                    Larry English (Cap number: $2,407,500 - Cap savings: $1,542,500)
                    John Phillips (Cap number: $1,841,666 - Cap savings: $508,332)
                    Marcus Gilchrist (Cap number: $1,258,600 - Cap savings: $914,400)
                    Jonas Muton (Cap number: $984,477 - Cap savings: $766,137)
                    Johnny Patrick (Cap number: $700,000 - Cap savings: $700,000)

Total cap savings: $14,775,869

There are a number of lower salary players after Patrick but I stopped there.

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                      Weddle and Rivers can both restructure, Clary possibly? Personally, not as concerned about the direction of the team in the short run as some, I think the team makes some significant strides as soon as next year. The power of Rivers I guess. If he's traded, I might go completely baking on TT.
                      I believe Rivers restructured at the beginning of the season, but I agree Weddle is a candidate to restructure.

Great analysis Beerman. It's shocking to me how many players on D are under performing. Butler is losing money with his play this season IMO. Also can't believe how bad Luiget and Reyes are playing, but their play needs to improve drastically. As of right now I would like to see the Chargers go D in the first two round, then OL in round three, but there is a lot of the season left.

Does anyone remember what IR Ingram was placed on? I thought it was the half season one but I am not sure

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                        Does anyone remember what IR Ingram was placed on? I thought it was the half season one but I am not sure
                        Ingram is on IR designated to return.

Comment

Working...
                        X