Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

results so far

These poll results would be very different I think had it unfolded differently. If we went for it and make it- everyone praises McCoy. Went for it and got stuffed-mixed opinion. Misses Kick or it gets blocked-many criticize decision while some defend McCoy.

I think it was a fascinating decision. I do think it shows McCoy as more of a conservative coach overall, one willing to rely on kickers. I thought it was over the top for Posner to be tweeting that it was absolutely the wrong call to make in that situation. He even replied to me saying it made him question McCoy going forward. I felt it was up to McCoy and who he felt the most confidence in. He should know his players, his team, and know the right call I feel. If it works out he made the right call and if he is wrong it's on him for making the wrong decision. I guess I am not as harsh a judge of McCoy as Jay Posner.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      Last week's decision to take the penalty was the right call. Statistically speaking, the percentages are in the defenses favor on 3rd and 14 over 4th and 1 or less.

That is why I wanted the Chargers to go for it instead of the FG, though I don't know what the percentages were for this situation. But it worked out this time for us.
      Regarding the Raider game: I would agree with that if you are simply talking about conversions percentages but if you only judge it on that you are ignoring many other factors of field position and score and time. You can't assign the odds in that decision with out considering more than just a percentage that assumes the team tries to convert. I guess this conversation is totally off topic but I feel it was clearly the wrong decision accepting that penalty. Decline- they may punt or else take a gamble where they risk a ton on one play (we still had the momentum at this point) Accept-give them a free down possibly 2 if they get to a 4th and short again and force your defense to make consecutive stops to kill the drive (3rd 3rd down 4th down).
      Last edited by BlazingBolt; 10-14-2013, 11:45 PM.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
        Regarding the Raider game: I would agree with that if you are simply talking about conversions percentages but if you only judge it on that you are ignoring many other factors of field position and score and time. You can't assign the odds in that decision with out considering more than just a percentage that assumes the team tries to convert. I guess this conversation is totally off topic but I feel it was clearly the wrong decision accepting that penalty. Decline- they may punt or else take a gamble where they risk a ton on one play (we still had the momentum at this point) Accept-give them a free down possibly 2 if they get to a 4th and short again and force your defense to make consecutive stops to kill the drive (3rd 3rd down 4th down).
        Based on the field position and time in the game, I think McCoy felt like they would go for it on 4th down. I was pretty sure they were going to as well and I think that was the motivating factor in taking the penalty.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

You pay the kicker to make THAT KIND of kick. Not PAs, not chip shots in the middle of the 1st quarter. Or even 50-yarders in the middle of the 1st quarter. But late-game, game-deciding kicks. That kick was within Novack's range; he's part of the team. It's his JOB to make those kicks.

If he can't, then I'm sure he can work at Kaeding's restaurant.

Comment

• Charged up
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

At the time I would have ran it. Our running game had been blowing them off the ball almost all game. RM was running hard. I am glad we won and made the kick, but had Nick missed that would have given them excellent field position.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

That's why he's the head coach. He gets to make that call.

Just like Marty got to make that 4th and 13 call, or whatever the hell it was against the Patriots that year.

Novak was nails...that Kick was perfect, so it was the correct call. If he misses, well then he's open to criticism.

I actually said to my son as they were lining up "Fake FG"? but then I realized we'd never do that with Scifres holding. And, I didn't expect it, but that's the time to try something like that.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                Just like Marty got to make that 4th and 13 call, or whatever the hell it was against the Patriots that year.
                4th and 11. How could you forget that? I know I've wanted to but...

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                  4th and 11. How could you forget that? I know I've wanted to but...
                  I just remembered it was ridiculous, and then anger clouded the details. I still don't understand it.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I would have gone for it. Nothing against Novak, but 50 yard field goals are no gimme's, we have had two FGs blocked already, Colts blocked one late last week. If Novak misses, Colts get the ball at the spot of the kick. And almost no time comes off the clock for a FG.

Going for it, I would have done a QB sneak. Rivers should be able to get the half yard needed. If he doesn't, the clock is running up some time until the change of possession and the Colts have the ball on the 32 or so as opposed to where the FG would have been kicked from.

Of course, I was wrong, Novak came through and Mike McCoy made the right call. It is why he is the HC and not me. By the way, I did like the third down call. It was a good play, just very, very well defended by the Colts.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

I'm in the " Go for it" camp. If for no other reason than we've found so many ways not to win over the past 3 years, I thought it would be easier to run for 1 yard than kick a 50 yard field goal.
                      I'm a great deal more confident though with Novak in those late situations than I ever was with Keading.
                      And although this group may not be great, they sure are fun to watch.
                      Go Bolts!

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

I think it's true there's no correct call here, it's a judgement call, so I voted that way. However, I preferred going for it, only because if Novak misses, the Colts have the ball around the 50. Either play was likely to just about ice the game if executed properly, so I perceive less risk in going for it, saving about 17 yards of field position.

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                          I think it's true there's no correct call here, it's a judgement call, so I voted that way. However, I preferred going for it, only because if Novak misses, the Colts have the ball around the 50. Either play was likely to just about ice the game if executed properly, so I perceive less risk in going for it, saving about 17 yards of field position.
                          They would have got the ball at the 40, spot of the kick. Personally, I would have gone for it there, but agree there is no right or wrong. Novak nailed it, so obviously he can.

Comment

Working...
                          X