How are the touted rookie OTs doing so far?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    I don't have an issue with the Fluker pick. I really like the kid. But I've read some articles praising the play of Star Lotulelei. We didn't have a chance at the other offensive linemen, but did pass on Star.
    That's definitely a valid point. I wish we could have both. I do think Star is much more valuable in a 4-3 D like the Panthers.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      So TT got the best o-lineman and WR in this draft so far? Not bad for a rook.
      But he blew it on Jenkins.

Comment

• Knucklebear
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Here's Pro Football Focus's ranking of the O-linemen drafted in the first round. You can argue with PFF's ranking system but it really looks like Fluker was a steal and is having the best rookie season.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Fluker is probably playing the best of the OTs taken. Some other OL guys have looked really good but they're interior guys. I don't really like the coulda/shoulda draft game. But there seem to be some good DL guys as well.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

I am still perplexed as to why we repeatedly run to the weakside vs. the strong side behind Fluker and Clary. It just doesn't make sense in my mind. The only thing I can come up with is that they don't want Dunlap doing any backside run blocking. He let quite a few guys run through during the preseason that caused some issues and it was mentioned by McCoy that backside run blocking in general was an issue.

My other more sinister theory is that McCoy and Wiz are setting up the league with false intel so we can switch it up for the 2nd half of the season. It just hasn't made sense that we don't exploit Flukers supposed strength more. Particularly in the red zone. We've been stuffed running to the left twice now behind Troutman's missed blocks.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              I am still perplexed as to why we repeatedly run to the weakside vs. the strong side behind Fluker and Clary. It just doesn't make sense in my mind. The only thing I can come up with is that they don't want Dunlap doing any backside run blocking. He let quite a few guys run through during the preseason that caused some issues and it was mentioned by McCoy that backside run blocking in general was an issue.

My other more sinister theory is that McCoy and Wiz are setting up the league with false intel so we can switch it up for the 2nd half of the season. It just hasn't made sense that we don't exploit Flukers supposed strength more. Particularly in the red zone. We've been stuffed running to the left twice now behind Troutman's missed blocks.
              Doing my best Steve impersonation:

With the zone blocking scheme MM and the Wiz are using, where we run isn't neccesarily determined in the play call itself. By using zone blocking and lining up Mathews deep, we allow Mathews to make a pre snap read and determine his path based on the defensive alignment he see's before him. Also, by being so deep, he can adjust his route as the blocks form before him. The result has been some really nice cut back lanes that Mathews exploited very nicely in the Indy game. It seems we only do this with Mathews, which may be because he has shown some impatients in allowing his blockers to do their jobs. You see a more direct and conventional approach in short yardage or when Woodhead is used in the run game. Of course all this is all predicated by the fact that Rivers can adjust the run play, and blocking, in his own presnap read which to the RB really just informs him which way Rivers is going to turn to hand the ball off, left or right. In the Indy game we were very effective in this, and just because Rivers turn left and hands the ball off doesn't mean that the RB will go left. We've implemented a little delay counter that will allow for a cutback to the right, thus taking advantage of the strength you have pointed out. :smile:

How'd I do? Not long enough, eh?
              sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

This table is all the way at the bottom

Team RB Carries LEFT END LEFT TACKLE MID/GUARD RIGHTTACKLE RIGHTEND
                1 BUF 173 3% 9% 74% 12% 2%
                2 HOU 172 10% 16% 53% 12% 9%
                3 PHI 161 19% 12% 44% 7% 17%
                4 DEN 159 11% 14% 49% 18% 8%
                5 SD 155 14% 9% 63% 6% 8%

Am I the only one surprised that we have so many RB carries? I didn't realize we have run the ball so often.

The next thing to note is that we've run between the OG/C on 63% of runs this season. 9% higher than the NFL average. Those tendencies likely led to us being able to break those big outside runs in the Indy game.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                  Doing my best Steve impersonation:

With the zone blocking scheme MM and the Wiz are using, where we run isn't neccesarily determined in the play call itself. By using zone blocking and lining up Mathews deep, we allow Mathews to make a pre snap read and determine his path based on the defensive alignment he see's before him. Also, by being so deep, he can adjust his route as the blocks form before him. The result has been some really nice cut back lanes that Mathews exploited very nicely in the Indy game. It seems we only do this with Mathews, which may be because he has shown some impatients in allowing his blockers to do their jobs. You see a more direct and conventional approach in short yardage or when Woodhead is used in the run game. Of course all this is all predicated by the fact that Rivers can adjust the run play, and blocking, in his own presnap read which to the RB really just informs him which way Rivers is going to turn to hand the ball off, left or right. In the Indy game we were very effective in this, and just because Rivers turn left and hands the ball off doesn't mean that the RB will go left. We've implemented a little delay counter that will allow for a cutback to the right, thus taking advantage of the strength you have pointed out. :smile:

How'd I do? Not long enough, eh?
                  Somewhere, Steve is smiling.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Chargers best lineman currently is Hardwick. So run up the middle behind him. I guess it makes sense.

I have no idea why it seems like the Bolts run to the left, no matter who is playing there or the other side. Unless it is dictated by the defense they are seeing?

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Chargers best lineman currently is Hardwick. So run up the middle behind him. I guess it makes sense.

I have no idea why it seems like the Bolts run to the left, no matter who is playing there or the other side. Unless it is dictated by the defense they are seeing?

TG
                      They're saving the runs behind Fluker for the playoff push!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        They're saving the runs behind Fluker for the playoff push!
                        So no running behind Fluker until 2015?
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Wheels
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

The only issue I have with the saving the runs plays to the right for later use, is that it's only a surprise for like a game or so. So they are sacrificing production now to surprise one team.

Comment

Working...
                          X