• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Texans cut three players for smoking pot

Before anyone becomes indignant, just remember whether it was a cigar or a cigar full of dope, these three guys apparently broke team rules. And they did it right before a game. And they got what was coming to them. Marvin Lewis is probably on the phone right now with their agents. From ESPN:

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans rookies Sam Montgomery, Cierre Wood and Willie Jefferson were released Monday, two days after violating team rules while at the Texans' team hotel in Kansas City.

Three sources who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com that the violation occurred due to marijuana use.

Wood, Jefferson and Montgomery were inactive for Sunday's 17-16 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, the Texans' fifth consecutive loss.

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Aaron M. Sprecher
    Sam Montgomery was a third-round draft selection this year but did not appear in a game for the Texans.
    "I don't understand why they did it," Texans outside linebacker Brooks Reed said. "They had the opportunity of their lives and they just kind of threw it away. I don't have too much to say about it. It's really unfortunate. We lost a lot of depth for that game. They were great players and they had a lot of potential. We're just going to find more guys that are more dedicated to the cause."

Jefferson's agent, Chad Cannon, told ESPN.com that the players were smoking a cigar in the team hotel and that illegal drugs were not involved.

"We're discussing the possibility of filing a grievance," Cannon said. "I need to be in touch with them and really figure if that's the best route to take."

Montgomery told Comcast SportsNet Houston that he walked into a hotel room where Wood and Jefferson were smoking a cigar on Saturday and was later called from a meeting by head coach Gary Kubiak.

"I won't discuss team rules and those type of things," Kubiak said during his Monday news conference. "I'll make decisions based on a body of work in everything I do. I've got five months of work invested in those three young men and made a decision today to move forward."

Montgomery was a third-round draft pick by the Texans and was inactive for the first seven games of the season. He came into rookie minicamp out of shape and suffered an injury shortly thereafter that limited him in offseason workouts and practices.

After the break following offseason workouts, Montgomery showed up at training camp -- again out of shape -- and began training camp on the non-football injury list. Wood, an undrafted free agent, was the Texans' third running back, and his absence became critical against the Chiefs when starter Arian Foster aggravated a hamstring injury and could not finish the game.

Backup running back Ben Tate also suffered an injury. He finished the game, but had X-rays afterward, and was spelled at times by fullback Greg Jones.

Jefferson, an outside linebacker, was also one of four undrafted rookies the Texans signed after training camp. He began his college football career at Baylor before being kicked off the team, then finished his college career at Stephen F. Austin.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Just for smoking pot? Ridiculous!
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The grievance should work out real well.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I would bring Montgomery in .... 0 tolerance FU policy. But he has great upside and we sorely lack depth.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          I would bring Montgomery in .... 0 tolerance FU policy. But he has great upside and we sorely lack depth.
          Hes been such a failure that I dont even know if he has any upside
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Three guys ONE cigar? There Agent couldnt come up with anything better?

The two UDFA's and the third round pick couldnt afford three cigars?

Come on man!!!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
              Hes been such a failure that I dont even know if he has any upside

Personally thought he was mis-cast as a 34 DE. He had some skill as a 43 DE. Thought he would end up at OLB. Wonder what they saw.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

weed isnt a big deal which is exactly why they deserved to get cut.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  He admitted he didnt play hard every week at LSU. Took it easy against lessor opponents. IMO he is too dumb to be paid in the NFL because he admitted that before the combine.

No thanks.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The transition to the New San Diego Chargers is complete.

Comment

So stupid. Wood looked like a great RB in preseason.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        He admitted he didnt play hard every week at LSU. Took it easy against lessor opponents. IMO he is too dumb to be paid in the NFL because he admitted that before the combine.

No thanks.
                        You can't fix stupid.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X