• Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    We're gonna a Grampa Simpson QSmiley.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Looks like Ghelken ran with this theme

There is a way to how the Chargers have won.

They've done it missing linemen. They've done it missing linebackers. They've played through injury. They've played on a short week, traveling to the East Coast. They are running the football with physicality.

Something is happening, Philip Rivers can sense.

In that, the quarterback is not alone.

An identity has formed about the type of team the Chargers believe they are becoming. San Diego enters the bye week having seen its share of adversity, and yet, it has won consecutive games for the first time all year, the two coming cross-country in six days versus the Colts and Jaguars.

Challenge can make a white towel easy to throw.

Each win suggests fight is in this team's fabric.

“I think we're becoming tough,” Rivers said. “I think we're getting tough. I know that word can be overused, but there is something about being tough, mentally, physically. Just be tough. Find a way. Make it work. I think it's a mentality you have to have.

“You have to have it when you're hurt. You have to have it when you lose some tough games. You have to have it when you're 2-3. You have to have it when you're 4-3. Hopefully, we can carry the toughness and get us another win.”

The Chargers became a younger team this offseason.

A focus for General Manager Tom Telesco was, when having veterans, making sure they were the right ones to lead.

An example was set the way Jeromey Clary finished the Titans game in Week 3 and played the past three games with what the team has called a clavicle injury. He moved from right tackle to guard in April when the Chargers drafted D.J. Fluker. Clary has slid to right tackle twice mid-game this season in an injury pinch.

Whatever the team needs.

Tight end John Phillips, a fifth-year veteran in his first on the team, was one injury away Sunday from playing offensive tackle.

That is fine.

“Do what you're told, right?” Phillips said. “Go out there and make it happen.”

Rookie nose tackle Kwame Geathers was one injury away from playing guard.

That is fine.

“Whatever the coaches needed from me, I was ready to go,” Geathers said. “I think the older guys would have told me what to do and keep me straight. I was ready to give it my all.”

Wide receiver Eddie Royal did not practice at all last week. He walked in a protective boot Saturday. He played Sunday and was back in the boot Monday.

Weddle had a blister that became a callus that became a problem. The toe required a shot before the past handful of games. He underwent a medical procedure Monday morning in which the callus was numbed and sliced off.

When the bye ends, he will return to a practice field he never left.

To learn how to take care of his body, Fluker says he watches Weddle. To learn how to be a pro, rookie linebacker Manti Te'o looks around.
      He faces 10th-year center Nick Hardwick every practice. He has 11th-year outside linebacker Jarret Johnson to his side.

“You see their work ethic,” Te'o said. “You see it when they're tired, when they're dinged up, when they're still going. They don't use any excuses. They're just 'yes, sir' guys who bust their butts. Those guys have been in the league for a long time, and they're still grinding like that, and I just got here. It's a big reality check for us. We have great examples, not only those two guys.”

Safety Darrell Stuckey addressed the team Saturday, the night before the Jaguars game.

The special teams captain talked about the NFL being a league filled with uncommon men. This team must be willing to take uncommon measures to reach a result that separates itself from the rest.

For coach Mike McCoy, these wins have been more than about the outcome.

It's been the way.

"I think the character of the football team has come out in the past couple weeks," McCoy said. “There are some great leaders here, some good veteran players who set the tempo for everybody."

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
        We're gonna a Grampa Simpson QSmiley.
        :qsmokey:
        : qsmokey :

Also, congratulations to Q for being our first user to receive his own smiley! (Please note the 'adios' included in the smiley).

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          I was talking about Kobe Bryant...
          I know that I was talking about Black Mambas.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            I know that I was talking about Black Mambas.
            :bump:

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

:bump:
              Dr. Beer...are you a real MD? Or do you just PLAY doctor all the time?

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Haha. I have wished I could do that sometimes.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Looks like Ghelken ran with this theme
                  I've been running with this the whole time on this board IRT getting rid of Phillips but sometimes you really need to clear out some of the vets to change culture.

I don't think it's reading too much into Weddle's words to say that NOW he is the veteran and leader of the defense so they care about outcomes, whereas last year he wasn't the veteran and leader. The only ones on this defense longer were Phillips and Jammer. Just going off personal experience, Shaun Phillips is a douche.

Comment

Working...
                  X