• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Keenan Allen mentored by Wes Chandler

There were plenty of reasons Keenan Allen was thrilled when he was drafted in the third round by the San Diego Chargers.

Among others, he relished the opportunity to play with Philip Rivers, remain in California and enter an offense he thought had the chance to be something special.

However, one reason some may not know is that he became a big fan of the Chargers due to his wide receivers coach his final year at Cal; the legendary Wes Chandler, who is a member of the Chargers Hall of Fame.

"He was always talking about the San Diego Chargers so I felt comfortable when I was drafted here,” Allen

said. “I knew I was coming into a good organization and that everything was going to be run the way it is supposed to be run. I know it’s a business, but I knew I was coming into a great situation.”

So what was it like to learn at the hands of the Chargers’ great?

“It was pretty dope to learn from a legend like him,” the rookie receiver said. “Just to learn his precision and techniques and everything he could throw at me, he’s a Hall of Famer for the San Diego Chargers so I tried to take it all in. We built a great relationship and I still talk to him now.”

Chandler played seven seasons for the Bolts from 1981-87. He caught 373 balls for 6,132 yards and 41 touchdowns. Chandler also holds the top two spots in Chargers history for most receiving yards in a single game, recording 260 against the Bengals in 1982 and 243 vs. the Seahawks in 1985. A three-time Pro Bowler with the Bolts, at the time of his retirement he ranked 12th in NFL history in receiving yards and 13th in receptions. So far, Allen is off to a stellar start of his own Chargers’ career. He has 26 receptions for 399 yards and two touchdowns.

Besides growing close on a personal level, Allen is eternally grateful he got to have one year under Chandler’s tutelage, stating that he helped him develop into a far better receiver.

“He is pretty much my mentor, so to be able to follow his footsteps and come to the Chargers, that is special for me,” he said. “He taught me how to get in and out of my breaks faster and how not to lose a step when getting out of my break. He taught me about head deception and how to look off a defender by not looking where I’m going but to look him in the eye instead.”

Overall, Allen couldn’t imagine what type of receiver he’d be without his year paired with Chandler.

“I think I’d be a very different player,” he said. “So I’m very grateful for the opportunity I was given to learn from him and get to know him.”

• OhioBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Wow that is awesome you can kind of see some of Chandler's attributes in Allen. Chandler was a smooth reciever who made yards after the catch.

Comment

• Buck
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Allen quits very early on running plays I've noticed. Pay attention for it next game.

Comment

• ICE
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Thanks for posting that BKR. Did not know Wes was his coach at CAL. Loved Wes and love what Keenan is showing. Great job by TT. Still wish we could have kept JJ though
        Some people say the Bolts shouldn't even be in the playoffs....

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

This is ironic, because speed notwithstanding, I have always thought Allen's movements and technique were incredibly similar to Wes Chandler. They both have very fluid motion/movements. In fact, I even made that point/those comments to Mad Dog and Viejo Bolt at Chargers Training Camp this preseason. Do you remember that, VB?

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I didn't know Chandler was at Cal, so I found it interesting that he had worked with Allen. I think Allen still has a ways to go. But he's showing a lot of positives.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

Interesting to read that he was working with Chandler for a year. Granted I never saw him play, but you gotta think having a HOF WR teaching you the position is a good thing. It makes A LOT of sense now that he was one of the most pro ready WR's coming out of college. His route running is fantastic and generally takes years to develop.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

I think we all wish we had WR like Hines Ward ...

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Chandler had very good speed but ran tremendous routes, as well. Loved watching him play. His '82 season was cut short by the strike, but he would've put up record numbers that year if he'd played a full season.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

JJ was one of my favorite players. From the start. He was just a guy you were drawn to as a fan. Infectious. I was so very sad when he was stupidly traded. But then we got Wes.

Wes was not the same player Jefferson was, but he was outstanding in his own way. A great complement to Joiner (another one of my favorite Chargers) and Winslow (a jerk. Talented jerk) Chandler was so, so fast. And so smooth. I could never forget JJ, but Chandler almost made me.

I guess one lesson Wes did not teach Allen was that all Chargers hate the Raiders.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• boltguy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Keenan Allen reminds me more of Keenan McCardell. Maybe KA has a little more escapability, but similar speed.

Comment

• ICE
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        JJ was one of my favorite players. From the start. He was just a guy you were drawn to as a fan. Infectious. I was so very sad when he was stupidly traded. But then we got Wes.

Wes was not the same player Jefferson was, but he was outstanding in his own way. A great complement to Joiner (another one of my favorite Chargers) and Winslow (a jerk. Talented jerk) Chandler was so, so fast. And so smooth. I could never forget JJ, but Chandler almost made me.

TG
                        Great post Heatmiser! Totally agree. We could have done much worse than Wes but JJ was on another level IMHO. Sad that he faded in GB after the trade.
                        Some people say the Bolts shouldn't even be in the playoffs....

Comment

Working...
                        X