• Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

ESPN Mid Season Report card

As the San Diego Chargers head into the bye week on a two-game winning for the first time this season, is the glass half-full or half-empty for Mike McCoy’s team?

I really like this new blogger that ESPN hired for the Chargers this season. He's on point virtually all the time. Great assessment of the team IMO.

As the San Diego Chargers head into the bye week on a two-game winning for the first time this season, is the glass half-full or half-empty for Mike McCoy’s team?

You certainly could argue for half-full just looking at the offense. Led by a resurgent Philip Rivers, the Chargers are in the top 10 offensively in total yards (No. 5, 402.9 yards per game), passing yards (No. 6, 294.1 yards per game) and third-down efficiency (No. 2, 49.4 percent).

Defensively, the Chargers are in the top 10 in perhaps the most meaningful statistic, points allowed (No. 9, allowing 20.6 points a game). Defensive coordinator John Pagano’s defense also has gone 11 quarters without giving up a touchdown.

Still, San Diego has allowed 378.6 yards a contest (No. 23 in the NFL) and forced just four turnovers. They’ve been resilient and resourceful defensively, but not dominant.

And the Chargers need to get healthy on the defensive side of the ball as they head into the second half of the season. Key players like outside linebackers Jarret Johnson (hamstring) and Melvin Ingram (knee), along with inside linebacker Donald Butler (groin) are still nursing injuries.

The Chargers still face the meaty part of their schedule, with three of their next four games on the road and five AFC West divisional games left on the schedule, including two each against Denver and Kansas City.

So McCoy understands that while his team is playing better, there’s a tough road ahead.

“It’s a long year,” McCoy said. “Now is a time where you’ve got to start talking to the younger players, because we’re making the turn now, and it’s coming at a good time.

“But we’ve got a lot of football left. So No. 1, we’ve got to take care of our bodies and enjoy the time off that we’re going to have at the end of this week. I think they are improving every day and have done a lot of good things.”

With that, here’s a look at midseason position grades for the Chargers.

QUARTERBACKS

Rivers
    Rivers’ turnaround this season has been remarkable. McCoy and offensive coordinator Ken Whishenhunt have done a nice job tailoring the passing game around the 31-year-old quarterback’s strengths, and it shows in his statistics this season.

Through seven games, Rivers leads the league in completion percentage (73.9) and is second in the NFL in passing yards (2,132) and passer rating (111.1).

But the head-scratching decision to try and run for a touchdown at the end of the first half against Jacksonville is Rivers at his worst. As a 10-year veteran, Rivers cannot let the competitor in him make decisions that are bad for the rest of the team. Rivers could have easily been injured on that scramble, making the choice to run an even more costly decision. Know and understand your limitations.

Rivers also threw three interceptions against Oakland, one of the worst teams in the league. Though he is playing at an elite level, there’s still room for improvement.
    Grade: B-plus

RUNNING BACKS
    With back-to-back rushing games of more than 100 yards, the emergence of Ryan Mathews as a focal point of the offense has been fun to watch. The Chargers have had more rushing attempts than passing attempts in the past two games. Let’s see if that continues during the second half of the season.

Mathews has 446 rushing yards, and is averaging 4.1 yards per carry. Even more impressive, Mathews has just one fumble on 110 rushing attempts.

The signing of Danny Woodhead during the offseason has proved one of the best additions during free agency. Woodhead has 40 receptions for 311 yards and three touchdowns, which is first in receptions among running backs in the NFL.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Allen
    Keenan Allen has been one of the pleasant surprises for the Chargers. With Danario Alexander and Malcom Floyd suffering season-ending injuries, Allen has stepped in to fill the void, posting 26 catches for 399 yards and two touchdowns through seven games.

Slot receiver Eddie Royal has created some big plays, with 22 receptions for 285 yards and a team-leading six touchdowns. And Vincent Brown also has been consistent, with 26 catches for 265 yards.

The Chargers are No. 4 in the league in passing plays of 20 yards or more with 28. San Diego has just three passing plays of 40 yards or more, so they could produce more chunk plays in the passing game. But that’s a minor critique.
    Grade: B

TIGHT ENDS
    At 33 years old, Antonio Gates is healthy and back playing at an elite level. With a team-leading 42 receptions for 497 yards and two touchdowns, Gates is second in the NFL among tight ends in receptions (Cleveland’s Jordan Cameron has 45 receptions). Gates has a great rapport with Rivers, and also has held his own blocking in the run game.

Second-year pro Ladarius Green only has five receptions, but he’s averaging an impressive 22.6 yards per catch.

OFFENSIVE LINE
    With as many injuries as this group has suffered, the offensive line’s performance so far in my opinion has been commendable, and the most impressive feat for the Chargers this season.

Offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris deserves credit for keeping this group playing at a high level. Center Nick Hardwick is the only member of the offensive line to start every game this season. The Chargers have had five different starting offensive line combinations in seven games, and five different players see time at left tackle.

San Diego’s offensive line has given up just 11 sacks, which is tied for second-best in the NFL (Outfuckingstanding)
    . The addition of second-year pro Johnnie Troutman at left guard has helped San Diego run the ball more effectively, although Troutman’s five false-start penalties in three starts needs to be cleaned up.
    Grade: A-minus

DEFENSIVE LINE
    Liuget
    Liuget
    This group is the most improved unit on the defensive side of the ball, with defensive ends Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes anchoring this group. Both have played well against the run, and by pushing the pocket have allowed pass-rushers like Thomas Keiser and Larry English to get sacks.

After a slow start, the Chargers have 14 sacks in the past four games, including a season-high six-sack effort against Jacksonville. And San Diego has not allowed a 100-yard rusher this season.

LINEBACKERS
    Starting middle linebacker Donald Butler has missed three games with a groin injury. And even when he has been active, Butler has not made many game-changing plays. (So true)

The same can be said of rookie linebacker Manti Te’o. Although he missed most of the preseason and the first three games of the year with a sprained foot, Te’o by his own admission has not played up to his potential, with just 17 tackles, no sacks and no forced turnovers in four starts.

Besides Liuget, Jarret Johnson has been San Diego’s most consistent player on defense. Johnson is tied for the team lead in sacks with Liuget (3).
    Grade: C-plus

DEFENSIVE BACKS
    Weddle
    Weddle
    Versatile safety Eric Weddle leads the team in tackles with 47, and has been a steadying influence in the back end with his consistent approach each week. But this unit has just two interceptions this season. The Chargers also have given up 27 passing plays of 20 or more yards, which is fourth-worst in the NFL.

The Chargers have not scored a defensive touchdown this season. Cornerback Derek Cox understands that he has to play better, particularly with the contract he received in free agency (four-years, $20 million). The return of Shareece Wright gives San Diego some much-needed speed in the back end. And in limited roles, Johnny Patrick and Jahleel Addae have been effective.
    Grade: C

SPECIAL TEAMS
    Kicker Nick Novak has only missed two field goals, and both were blocked. However, Novak has just eight touchbacks on 38 kickoffs (21.1 percent) -- which is the worst in the NFL. Punter Mike Scifres has 11 punts inside the 20 yard line, but is averaging just 43.9 yards a punt. The Chargers have not gotten much out of the return game to help improve field position.
    Grade: C

COACHING
    In his first season, McCoy has paid attention to the little things, instilled confidence in his players and surrounded himself with an experienced coaching staff. He’s made his share of mistakes, but overall has San Diego headed in the right direction.
    Last edited by Beerman; 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM.
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

My keys to the 2nd half:
    1) Health of the LB's - Te'o needs to keep improving. Butler has got to revert to the impact player we've all seen flashes of. He has got to be that guy every week starting with the Washington game. JJ needs to get back on the field. Keiser is brutal in coverage and really should only see the field as a pass rusher. Would allow us to keep Tourek on the pine. English needs to stay healthy and keep improving (he has steadily started to make plays weekly).

2) Health of our OT's - I think it's become fairly clear that these guys can actually booked the line and be effective doing it. Now they just need to stay on the field.

3) Secondary improvement - Wright needs to stay on the field. It's been night and day since his return vs. the Colts. We are by no means a shutdown group, but there has been some slivers of improvement - particularly by Gilchrist.

4) Reyes - We've seen flashes of him breaking out of his sophmore slump. Gonna need a big 2nd half from him to keep offenses honest and not be able to double Liuget every down. I said it before, our interior D line is the engine of the D. If Reyes and Liuget aren't playing at a very high level, the entire D suffers and our pass rush goes with it.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      My keys to the 2nd half:
      1) Health of the LB's - Te'o needs to keep improving. Butler has got to revert to the impact player we've all seen flashes of. He has got to be that guy every week starting with the Washington game. JJ needs to get back on the field. Keiser is brutal in coverage and really should only see the field as a pass rusher. Would allow us to keep Tourek on the pine. English needs to stay healthy and keep improving (he has steadily started to make plays weekly).
      2) Health of our OT's - I think it's become fairly clear that these guys can actually booked the line and be effective doing it. Now they just need to stay on the field.

3) Secondary improvement - Wright needs to stay on the field. It's been night and day since his return vs. the Colts. We are by no means a shutdown group, but there has been some slivers of improvement - particularly by Gilchrist.

4) Reyes - We've seen flashes of him breaking out of his sophmore slump. Gonna need a big 2nd half from him to keep offenses honest and not be able to double Liuget every down. I said it before, our interior D line is the engine of the D. If Reyes and Liuget aren't playing at a very high level, the entire D suffers and our pass rush goes with it.
      Going against our divisional foes with KC having our LB's at full strength is key, stopping Jamal Charlse is the key, we need our LB reading and attacking the ball carrier. Jarret Johnson will be key in containing the outside runs.

Against Denver our secondary has to be on there game I believe this is a game you would really like to have that quick nickel back (Steve Williams IR) to stay with Wes Welker this guy kills you with the short recepetions that keep drives going. We also have to contain with their TE who is having a breakout season, and you can't forget their other recievers Decker and Thomas.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

key to stopping jamal charles starts with cam thomas not being driven 10 yards off the ball.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Not sure everyone has seen this, but just another way to show the O line has played reasonably well this season.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Rivers is completing 74% of his passes, people. That's nuts. I think I give the guy an A- despite the 3 INTs and the bonehead run last week.

This is my favorite line of the whole piece. I think it accurately depicts my views on the D:

They’ve been resilient and resourceful defensively, but not dominant.
            Of course the Twin Towers(TM) would probably argue with that depiction, they would be wrong.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

And San Diego has not allowed a 100-yard rusher this season.
              Pretty good for a team with a nose tackle that sucks big time.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Well in fairness, why bother with the run when people are completing passes all over the yard?

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  Well in fairness, why bother with the run when people are completing passes all over the yard?
                  You would think that wouldn't ya! I don't think we'll ever really have a bad run defense if JJ and Liuget are playing. It may not be completely dominant, but those guys are shutting down rushing attempts to the strong side.

I'm actually surprised at how well they did vs Indy without JJ. I thought we were going to get run over.

RG3 will be a whole different beast though. We have had issues with running QBs due to our lack of speed at OLB. They will have to keep his ass contained.

Comment

• Zot
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    Yea...I can't see how anybody can give this defense an overall C+. From the losses to Houston and Tenn I'd give the secondary a base score of F. Factor in the rest of the games and I'll give the overall defense a D-

I would have to say the biggest overall positive for the team is TOP.

Last edited by Zot; 10-25-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

A 32 team bell curve would not have us in the middle of the curve, true. I would add that as what little tallent we have had and lost due to injury we have been able to improve as a defence on the whole IMO.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Opera singer and web developer.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Zot View Post
                        Yea...I can't see how anybody can give this defense an overall C+. From the losses to Houston and Tenn I'd give the secondary a base score of F. Factor in the rest of the games and I'll give the overall defense a D-

I would have to say the biggest overall positive for the team is TOP.

I suppose it depends on how you grade. Relative to our expectations of what a good defense is, your grade is fair. I think relative to expectations for a defense that has undergone a youth movement and is thin, I think a C is more appropriate.
                        Adipose

Comment

Working...
                        X