• Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    the 'great' Flipper Anderson
    Out of curiosity, why do you qualify 'great' by placing it in quotation marks. "Flipper" Anderson was a great WR!
    Adipose

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      Maybe OIP is right and I misremembered it; maybe he only tied the record. The record in question is most 200-yard games. I had no idea he'd gone over 300 when I posted. I shut off the game when Detroit failed to pick up the crucial first down under 2 minutes down by 3. I had to make my entrance! If I'd stuck around, I would have caught a great ending ... and failed as a professional opera singer. (I only made it by a couple of minutes as it was!)
      He tied Alworth on that record. Both had 5 games with over 200 yards
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        Out of curiosity, why do you qualify 'great' by placing it in quotation marks. "Flipper" Anderson was a great WR!
        He played 10 seasons (but only a mere 7 were productive) and had a grand total of 267 career receptions; not even 40/season (based on the 7 good years). He exceeded 1000 yards only twice (and in one of those season, 336 came in one game) and never had more than 7 TDs in any one season (which he did once).

Those are hardly the numbers of greatness, IMO. Good, complimentary WR, yes. But great? No.

See for yourself: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...A/AndeFl00.htm

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          He played 10 seasons (but only a mere 7 were productive) and had a grand total of 267 career receptions; not even 40/season (based on the 7 good years). He exceeded 1000 yards only twice (and in one of those season, 336 came in one game) and never had more than 7 TDs in any one season (which he did once).

Those are hardly the numbers of greatness, IMO. Good, complimentary WR, yes. But great? No.

See for yourself: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...A/AndeFl00.htm
          Well, I can't argue with the stats. I guess I can't even really make the "different era" argument. My memory remembered him being far more dominant and productive, but clearly I was wrong.
          Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

How did Anderson and Ellard compare to receivers of their time. Today's NFL is all about the pass so receivers today are going to usually have better stats.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Robert Quinn really turned out to be a beast. I took a lot of flack for loving him so much.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

lol, I remember that. I wish we had Tate right now.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Golden Tate is a punk. Glad he's not a Charger
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Raiders DC Jason Tarver is Raideresque

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis might understand his defensive coordinator's thought process, but it does not mean he endorses what Jason Tarver was caught doing in his team's eventual 21-18 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. And Tarver himself issued a mea culpa for his actions.

[+] EnlargeJason Tarver
                    Kyle Terada/USA TODAY Sports
                    Raiders defensive coordinator Jason Tarver apologized Monday for his gestures directed toward officials in Sunday's game.
                    Tarver flipped a middle finger, on separate occasions, at the officials after a personal foul was called on cornerback Mike Jenkins for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell with 8:48 left in the third quarter.

"It was just an emotional outburst by a coach in the heat of the game," Davis told ESPN.com. "We don't condone those actions and we'll handle it in-house."

Tarver, meanwhile, issued his apology in a statement Monday afternoon.

"I apologize for my action on the sideline of yesterday's game," Tarver said in the release. "It was in the heat of the moment, and I regret drawing attention away from the Raiders players and what they accomplished."

The flag, by the way, was picked up and no penalty was levied after all.

The Raiders, not the NFL, are expected to impose discipline on Tarver, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In 2010, Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil was hit with a $40,000 fine for flipping off the refs when he disagreed with a penalty against his team.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen was asked in his weekly news conference about Tarver's actions and apology.

"I don't know if it's one of those things you just say, 'Let's forget about it,'" Allen said.

"Listen, he's made his statement about what's happened. I think the only thing I'll say is I think he's done an outstanding job with this defense. I think he's a fiery and emotional guy and I think our players have really taken to that, and I think they've embraced that type of attitude and he has the defense playing at a high level right now."

Comment

Working...
                    X