• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Aztecs get commitment from Cheathem

Easily puts them in the top ten in recruiting for 2014 even without figuring in the transfer from Arizona:

• Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Whats his story? I mean... if he's really a top ten talent.. was he not drawing attention from the "major" schools? Did he just decide he wanted to go to a mid-major?

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
      Whats his story? I mean... if he's really a top ten talent.. was he not drawing attention from the "major" schools? Did he just decide he wanted to go to a mid-major?
      He likes schools with parking issues, hot women, and beer gardens.
      Or am I talking about the 20-year-old version of me.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
        No, he is ranked in the 75-80 range and follows a commitment from Malik Pope (#17 in the nation) and Trey Kell (also in the nation's top 100 freshmen recruits). Only 5 other teams have landed 3 top 100 players for 2014, Louisville, Georgetown, Ohio State, Maryland and North Carolina. For 2014 we also landed a 3 star point guard out of Canada who is considered an ascending player. We also have a transfer from Arizona, Angelo Chol, who is going to give us a big body inside. Even without including the transfer, that recruiting class is solidly in the top ten in the nation. Then you have to figure on guys already on the roster like Winston Shepard (#22 recruit last year), Skylar Spencer, Matt Shrigley, Dakari Allen, D'Erryl Williams, JJ Obrien, Dwayne Polee, James Johnson. That is a helluva lineup to look forward to.

SDSU is a well established program out here in the west and plays in a very competitive conference. Players like the fact that they are given quite a bit of freedom on offense and they have a recent history of sending guys to the pros. Also, if you have never been to Viejas for game then you are missing out on a great atmosphere.

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

MWC is not currently considered a mid major.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
            MWC is not currently considered a mid major.
            Not in basketball at least.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

San Diego State adds another star

By Joel Francisco | ESPN.com

As the early signing period approaches, there are few hotter teams in the West than San Diego State. The Aztecs snagged yet another gem in Zylan Cheatham (Phoenix/South Mountain), after earlier reports had him being New Mexico-bound.

Coach Steve Fisher exhibited some savvy when he lost ace recruiter Tony Bland to USC. Once Bland decided to join Andy Enfield at USC, Fisher lured his former recruiting catalyst Justin Hutson back in the fold after Hutson spent two years with UNLV. To say the recruiting results since Hutson's return have been stellar would be an understatement.

Cheatham is the final piece to a quality quartet that includes ESPN 100 recruits Malik Pope (Elk Grove, Calif./Laguna Creek) and Trey Kell (San Diego/St. Augustine [awesome!]), as well as an underrated point guard in Kevin Zabo (Wolfeboro, NH/Brewster Academy).

Cheatham is an ultra-athletic combo-forward who affects the game in multiple ways. He can defend multiple positions, rebound in traffic, drop off the nifty assist and hammer down a thunderous dunk too boot. In Fisher's transition-oriented system, where he recruits versatile prospects, Cheatham is yet another example of that type of player who should excel in that environment.

The Aztecs class has a little bit of everything: an underrated scoring point guard in Zabo, a sharp shooting guard in Kell, a wing-type with immense upside in Pope, and they finished the class off with a jack-of-all-trades type in Cheatham.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

Up until this last post, I thought this thread was about the Aztecs football team. Goes to show how little I know about college and prep sports.
                Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Is there a Dewey and Howe on the team?

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    Up until this last post, I thought this thread was about the Aztecs football team. Goes to show how little I know about college and prep sports.
                    Aztec basketball is pretty big in this town. They pretty much sell out every game. So much for saying this city wouldn't support an NBA or NHL franchise.

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

NBA is a different animal, 41 games (a bunch not so meaningful) at much, much, much higher prices.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                        NBA is a different animal, 41 games (a bunch not so meaningful) at much, much, much higher prices.
                        San Diego, I think, is Cantonese for high prices.

Comment

Working...
                        X