• Show
Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

OT: Hurry-up Offenses

I don't enjoy watching these hurry-up offenses when used for an entire game. I understand the need at the end of the first half or a game when time is of the essence, but to me they're not that much fun to watch. I think they'll fizzle out at the pro level because teams don't suit up enough linemen to maintain the speed of the plays. At the college level though, they suit up more players and many teams are using the hurry-up.

The no-huddle is different. I don't mind it because the chess match is still in play and I guess the chess match is what I miss with the hurry-up. Thoughts?
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

I really like our version of the hurry-up offense, where the primary purpose is to give Rivers more time to survey the defensive alignment & audible out of the primary play-call if necessary. That being said, the hurry-up offenses used by other teams appears to be just hurrying/not-huddling for the sole purpose of trying to get the defense on their heels....which is nice, but this can really tire out the offensive personnel. The cool difference that McCoy's offense brings to the table is that sometimes the ball doesn't even get snapped until just before the play clock runs out, thus serving two purposes----Rivers gets to call what he deems to be the most appropriate play for the situation/defensive alignment, & the rest of the offense gets to catch their breath a bit.

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      I really like our version of the hurry-up offense
      We don't run a hurry-up offense. At all.

What we do run is an offense that often doesn't huddle, gets the play called quickly, gets to the LoS quickly... but that's not a hurry-up. If anything, we run a slow-down offense, milking the clock for all it's worth and making all sorts of adjustments at the LoS based on what the defense is showing.

I know, I know, some of you will shout 'Semantics!', but semantics are important.
      Adipose

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

I agree Panama. Our offense allows the "chess match" to continue and I enjoy watching that. I like to see the QB try things to get the safety to react so he can make some pre-snap reads. But the defense has the time to do some scheming of their own.

What prompted this was watching the Oregon/UCLA game. I just don't enjoy watching the Oregon offense. Then when you get two teams running the hurry-up for the whole game I really don't like it. Don't even have time to take a leak!

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think the Chargers offense is better described as (at times) no huddle rather than hurry up. What I don't understand is why the team doesn't use the no huddle all the time.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
            I agree Panama. Our offense allows the "chess match" to continue and I enjoy watching that. I like to see the QB try things to get the safety to react so he can make some pre-snap reads. But the defense has the time to do some scheming of their own.

What prompted this was watching the Oregon/UCLA game. I just don't enjoy watching the Oregon offense. Then when you get two teams running the hurry-up for the whole game I really don't like it. Don't even have time to take a leak!
            TiVo/DVR?

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Semantics!

Comment

• homeless simpson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

i notice we try to draw the other team offsides a whole lot more per game this season.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                  i notice we try to draw the other team offsides a whole lot more per game this season.
                  I haven't noticed the hard count being used all that much at all, actually...

...or do you think that the reason they so often snap the ball with under 5 seconds on the play clock is because they are trying to draw the defense offsides?
                  Adipose

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    I haven't noticed the hard count being used all that much at all, actually...

...or do you think that the reason they so often snap the ball with under 5 seconds on the play clock is because they are trying to draw the defense offsides?
                    what i meant was, Rivers makes a really hard count but we still run the play anyway, not that the play was necessarily just to make them jump offsides.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Raiders suck

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

While I agree we don't run a true hurry up offense, there's no denying the advantages we have when we actually do need to speed up the tempo.

Comment

Working...
                        X