• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Lance Alworth gets his Super Bowl ring back

SAN DIEGO - A 1971 Super Bowl ring belonging to former San Diego Charger Lance Alworth was found at an auction house in Laguna Nigel -- 21 years after it was stolen, authorities announced Tuesday.

The ring was on exhibit at Trophy's Restaurant in Mission Valley, along with other local sports memorabilia, when it was stolen in 1992, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

On Sept. 7, Alworth received a call from a woman who demanded $40,000 for the return of the ring, sheriff's officials said.

Detectives with the sheriff's Encinitas station launched an investigation and the trail led them to Palm Springs, where they detained six people but the search was not over.

The ring was eventually located at an auction house in Laguna Nigel, where it was scheduled to go up for bid on Nov. 20. The auction was expected to open at $44,000 if the ring was not tracked down on Oct. 24.

"I really appreciate this ring more than you'll ever know," Alworth said. "It's pretty special, and I thought I'd never see it again."

No arrests were immediately made but the investigation was ongoing, according to Caldwell.

10News reporter Hannah Mullins asked what the ring symbolized after all these years, and Alworth responded, "Never give up."

"I feel pretty fortunate to have it back," Alworth added.

Anyone with information about the ring was asked to call Rodriguez at 760-966-3504 or San Diego County Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.

The case has been handed over to the San Diego County District Attorney's Office.
  • Boltdog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Lunar Surface
    • Nutrition Consultant
    • Send PM

Coach Kentera talked about this on 1090 tonight. Seems now that Lance has his ring back, it won't fit on his ring finger anymore. Wonder if they can re-size those types of rings while leaving all the fancy settings intact? Glad he has it back though--Lance is always a class act....
    Fighting for Carson...and Wilmington...ity:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

My grandpa who passed 5 years ago and lived 60 years in SD was the biggest Alworth fan. It's good to see him back around the team.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
      X