• Show
Clear All
  • BlazingBolt
    SLAM DUNK!
    • Jun 2013
    • East County San Diego
    • Bolt fanatic
    • Send PM

Isn't a power run your highest percentage play inside the 1. Inexcusable to not try it with the game on the line.

On the road you maybe even go for it on 4th down.

Even if we go for it on 4th get stopped and lose I don't think McCoy gets slammed for passing up the Fg and ot.
    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

O'Connell reviewed the plays on the show after SNF. The first play, the counter dive with Woodhead, was called into by Rivers. It had worked in the past, but there wasn't enough push to get Woodhead a seam to drive to. (Why Woodhead was in there after being banged up on the previous play...don't understand it.) The second play, the fade to Gates, was set up for a single man on Gates, which it did, but the coverage was just too tight. If he waited a bit, maybe Mathews could have gotten loose in the flat. The third play, the rollout right, just was a f'ed play call, shrinking the field of play, and asking Rivers to do something that he just doesn't do well and no one was gettng open.

I think sometimes simple is enough, and a power play should have done it. Run it right on the strength of the line, and if they can't make it, at least they get the respect for the call, and not piss off the OL and the fan base.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

I hope the coaching staff can use this as a learning experience and become even better for it. Most of us have acknowledged, to varying degrees, that this is a retooling year. We've been enjoying and enduring (depending on the outcome) the development (and accompanying growing pains) of the players, but I forget sometimes (because he's done such a great job for the most part assembling his staff and coaching his players) that our head coach is also a rookie and will also make the occasional rookie mistakes. It's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when it results in a loss like this that really should have been a win, but if the coaching staff and the team grow from this and avoid repeating these mistakes on the way to becoming a legitimate perennial contender, I can live with it.
        Adipose

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

How about just putting this on the coaches even before that final drive in regulation to tie, what happen to the formula we used against Indy, Jacksonville? Remember running the ball controlling the clock, best defense for us is having our offense on the field more. We ran effective the 1st half I though for sure Matthews was on his way to a third 100 yard rushing game, he was averaging 5 yards a pop.

For whatever reasons they practically abandon the running game and Matthews was rarely seen on the field the second half, was there an injury we didn't know about or is this a re-ocurring lapse in coaching.

Count 3 games coaching cost us with our talent level on defense there is little room for error.

1. Houston game got way to conservative on offense in play calling with a lead

2. Tenessee bad, bad, bad defensive formations on the last drive your best play-maker in the secondary Weddle not in position to make a play, and leaving the recent free-agent pickup early in the week one on one coverage for a game winning TD by the Titans

3. On the goal line 3 shots you have to give Matthews at least one shot to leap over the pile. Bad, Bad, Bad call on the road you have to play to win. Hell Herm Edwards period "You Play To Win The Game" HELLLO!

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 3h
            Per @ESPNStatsInfo the #Chargers have scored on 2-of-11 snaps from the 1-yard line this season (18%).

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 3h
              Per @ESPNStatsInfo the #Chargers have scored on 2-of-11 snaps from the 1-yard line this season (18%).
              And the two plays they scored on were power runs IIRC. :banghead:

Comment

LOL this made me laugh out loud so hard. God this franchise is so cursed its not even funny. You cant really ever get shit out of carpet once its been ground in. No matter how much you try and clean it or mask the smell. Once you think you got it out, the smell will come back when you least expect it. They need to replace the whole carpet...

Comment

• RobH
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Tokyo, Japan
                  • University English Lecturer
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
                  LOL this made me laugh out loud so hard. God this franchise is so cursed its not even funny. You cant really ever get shit out of carpet once its been ground in. No matter how much you try and clean it or mask the smell. Once you think you got it out, the smell will come back when you least expect it. They need to replace the whole carpet...
                  That's why we take our shoes off when entering a house in Japan.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                    That's why we take our shoes off when entering a house in Japan.
                    I spent my 20's with Asian roommates, most of it on Haight ST in SF which is probably the dirtiest sidewalk in the US. We do the same in this house.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                      Makes me puke.
                      just go for it.
                      six inches ain't that much.
                      That's what she said?
                      she said it makes her puke? Or 6 inches ain't that much? seems a contradiction there.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                      X