Are y'all beat? Have y'all quit??? It Mongo TIME!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Are y'all beat? Have y'all quit??? It Mongo TIME!

Time to get up and K O this Donkey Chops!!!

Manning is going down Sunday!!! This is payback time. We win this game we can take our place in the postseason if we follow it up vs the Chiefs!

(As a fan I see this game, Sunday, vs Denver, as the oppertumity to show we can play with anyone dispite depth and tallent, it could validate the new system and provide momentom to shape this teams destiny! Lets use this space to rally like we hope they do Sunday!
    Go Rivers!
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Butler is back! Look out Fourfead!
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

We certainly have enough to win this game at home....also enough to lose it but IF we can just control things with our offense and make just enough defensive plays we can win this despite mister forehead. Lets hope we can at least hit him enough to make him pay for sitting in the pocket. Best bet is keep him off the field and make a few plays (turnovers defense!).

Denver is a good team but has serious weaknesses on D. You keep their offense off the field and they can be beat. It will always be a close one IMO but they can be beat in the 4th quarter if we finish.

Did I say they can be beat enough?

Comment

• Hard Charger
        Chargers fan since 1977!
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I was expecting this.....

HC

Comment

• ICE
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard Charger View Post
          I was expecting this.....

HC
          Perfect!!!
          Some people say the Bolts shouldn't even be in the playoffs....

Comment

I've got to at least try to Photoshop a Charger helmet on to Mongo.

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ICE View Post
              Perfect!!!
              Wish we had Alex Karras in his prime on our defensive line. And yes, I'm old enough to have seen him play. Even was at the game when Iowa beat Oregon State in the 1957 Rose Bowl.
              Last edited by Geezbolt; 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                Wish we had Alex Karras in his prime on our defensive line. And yes, I'm old enough to have seen him play. Even was at the game when Iowa beat Oregon State in the 1957 Rose Bowl.
                Geeez

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Time to bring back dis Coopers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Chargers plan to rough up Manning

By Eric D. Williams | November 8, 2013 11:30:16 AM PST

SAN DIEGO -- Defensive coordinator John Pagano has an easy solution for slowing down Denver quarterback Peyton Manning when the Broncos travel to Qualcomm Stadium this weekend to face the San Diego Chargers.

"Drop 11 [guys]," he said, laughing. "If they complete it, I'm going to be really disappointed."

That's what it might take for the Chargers defensively to contain a Denver offense that has been pretty much unstoppable this season.

Lyons/Getty Images The Colts were able to get pressure on Peyton Manning and disrupt Denver's potent offense. Denver's franchise quarterback is on pace to throw for nearly 5,838 yards and 58 touchdowns -- both would be NFL, single-season highs. At 37 years old, he leads the NFL in passer rating (119.4), completions (237) and is second to Philip Rivers in completion percentage (71.2).

San Diego's defense is tasked with figuring out a way to disrupt the machine-like precision of Manning and a high-powered Denver offense averaging a league-high 42.9 points a contest.

"You've got to get lined up and play defense, because the minute he sees you're all out of whack, that's when he takes full advantage," San Diego defensive lineman Corey Liuget said. "So you have to be lined up in your defensive front and know your coverage calls."

While Manning's ability to quickly decipher defenses and accurately deliver the ball on time and on target is unmatched, he has shown a human side.

Like every other quarterback, Manning's play dips when he's moved off his spot and driven to the ground.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Manning has been hit/under duress on 40 dropbacks this season. In the Broncos' lone loss (Week 7 at Colts), Manning was hit/under duress on 13 dropbacks, including four sacks.

In 2012, Manning was hit/under duress on 63 dropbacks (4.2 per game). His season-high was seven (Week 3 loss vs. Texans).

"You always want to hit him," San Diego safety Eric Weddle said. 'You want to hit any quarterback that you can. Sacks are always great from the outside looking at them, but if you're hitting him and getting him off of his spot and force him to run around by creating havoc, quarterbacks don't like that. Then that starts getting their timing off, and they feel like if they hold onto the ball too long they're going to get hit.

"So it's always important to get in his face, hit him as much as possible."

The trick to slowing down Manning is being successful in playing that cat-and-mouse game of whether to bring pressure or play coverage. Manning has seen every blitz imaginable, so defenses have to do a good job of disguising their intentions so he doesn't pick you apart during his pre-snap reads.

And when San Diego does blitz, they've got to get home.

"He does such a great job of getting the ball out," Weddle said. "He knows when pressure is coming --maybe not all the time -- but he can feel it in his time clock. He goes through his progressions the best out of any quarterback you go against.

"If the flat is there -- if the first read is there -- he's going to take it no matter what. He's not overzealous. He's not going to try for the shot if it's not there. He's not going to hold onto the ball if it's not there. When he does hold onto the ball, it's because the coverage may be good and he really doesn't have anywhere to throw it."

Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano echoed Weddle's comments. Even though older brother Chuck Pagano's defense was successful in containing Manning in Denver's only loss this season to the Colts, Pagano said he didn't put in a call this week.

Pagano already has a pretty good idea of what to expect from Manning -- and what his defense needs to do to slow down Denver's offense.

"Our theme of the week is disguise and disrupt," Pagano said. "Disguise and show the different type of looks, and disrupt as much as we can -- whether it's in the run game or in the passing game.

"And you've got to be able to put pressure on this quarterback. If he sits in the pocket and has the comfort that he needs, it makes it a long day for anyone."
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Derek Cox returns to starting lineup

By Eric D. Williams | November 7, 2013 7:55:18 PM PST

SAN DIEGO -- Defensive coordinator John Pagano said inconsistent play and failing to make impact plays were two reasons he decided to bench cornerback Derek Cox during the San Diego Chargers' overtime loss to Washington last week.

"He's had opportunities," Pagano said. "We've got to go make plays. And he's got to learn to finish some of those plays. And has he made plays? Yes he has. There's been many times that you see it. Now, in the back end, those are the plays where you get exposed the most, because it's usually a long pass play or something where you end up giving up a touchdown where you're the last line of the defense.

"But overall, I'd probably been a little more disappointed with the consistency from the back end, and not being able to put together complete games."

Pagano said Cox returned to his customary position as the team's starting cornerback for Wednesday's practice.

"It's about competing," Pagano said. "It's about going out there and being competitive, and doing the things you have to do week in and week out. That's what this business is all about. It's one of those situations where he handled it well, and we moved on from it."

Cox said he took the benching in stride, and is focused on improving each week.

"Consistency is the key," Cox said. "You look at great players and that's what it boils down to -- they're consistency week in and week out. And making your plays when the opportunity is there, so I'm right in tune with that mentally, and what I demand of myself."

Whisenhunt discusses goal-line play calling: Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt talked to reporters on Thursday, and as you can imagine, most of the questions asked were about his curious play-calling at the end of regulation in San Diego's loss to Washington, when the Chargers failed to score on three straight plays from a yard out.

"When they don't work you are going to be second-guessed on them," Whisenhunt said. "That is part of this business. If you could tell me I could have back every play that didn't work and I could run it again, sure I would like to do that. Are you kidding me?

"But you can't do that. You have a plan, you stick to the plan and more times than not for us this year, fortunately, it has worked."

Whisenhunt said that Ryan Mathews not receiving a carry on any of the three plays at that goal line is not an indication of how he or the rest of the coaching staff feels about the team's leading rusher.

"I feel great about Ryan," he said. "There has never been any indication that we haven't felt great about Ryan. Last time I checked he's the only back in the league this year to have two consecutive 100-yard games. I don't understand why you wouldn't feel good about him.

"We have complete confidence in him and in my mind. He is a good football player."

Whisenhunt said he expected the ball to be spotted closer to the goal line after Danny Woodhead's touchdown was reversed. And had he known the ball would be spotted a half-yard further away, he might have made a different call than what ended up being a first-down run to Woodhead that Philip Rivers audibled to out of a spread formation.

Whisenhunt also said the decision not to go for it on fourth down was Mike McCoy's call, but he had a play ready if McCoy had changed his mind.

Injury update: Outside linebacker Jarret Johnson was back on the injury report on Thursday. Johnson was a limited participant with a hamstring injury, the same issue that forced him to miss to miss two games earlier this season.

"Something kind of flared up, but we'll give you an update tomorrow," McCoy said about Johnson.

Offensive lineman Chad Rinehart (toe) was a limited participant for a second straight day.

Defensive end Lawrence Guy (toe) offensive lineman Mike Remmers (ankle) and receiver Eddie Royal (toe) did not practice.

Linebacker Donald Butler (groin) and punter Mike Scifres (knee) were full participants
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Derek Cox returns to starting lineup

By Eric D. Williams | November 7, 2013 7:55:18 PM PST

SAN DIEGO -- Defensive coordinator John Pagano said inconsistent play and failing to make impact plays were two reasons he decided to bench cornerback Derek Cox during the San Diego Chargers' overtime loss to Washington last week.

"He's had opportunities," Pagano said. "We've got to go make plays. And he's got to learn to finish some of those plays. And has he made plays? Yes he has. There's been many times that you see it. Now, in the back end, those are the plays where you get exposed the most, because it's usually a long pass play or something where you end up giving up a touchdown where you're the last line of the defense.

"But overall, I'd probably been a little more disappointed with the consistency from the back end, and not being able to put together complete games."

Pagano said Cox returned to his customary position as the team's starting cornerback for Wednesday's practice.

"It's about competing," Pagano said. "It's about going out there and being competitive, and doing the things you have to do week in and week out. That's what this business is all about. It's one of those situations where he handled it well, and we moved on from it."

Cox said he took the benching in stride, and is focused on improving each week.

"Consistency is the key," Cox said. "You look at great players and that's what it boils down to -- they're consistency week in and week out. And making your plays when the opportunity is there, so I'm right in tune with that mentally, and what I demand of myself."

Whisenhunt discusses goal-line play calling: Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt talked to reporters on Thursday, and as you can imagine, most of the questions asked were about his curious play-calling at the end of regulation in San Diego's loss to Washington, when the Chargers failed to score on three straight plays from a yard out.

"When they don't work you are going to be second-guessed on them," Whisenhunt said. "That is part of this business. If you could tell me I could have back every play that didn't work and I could run it again, sure I would like to do that. Are you kidding me?

"But you can't do that. You have a plan, you stick to the plan and more times than not for us this year, fortunately, it has worked."

Whisenhunt said that Ryan Mathews not receiving a carry on any of the three plays at that goal line is not an indication of how he or the rest of the coaching staff feels about the team's leading rusher.

"I feel great about Ryan," he said. "There has never been any indication that we haven't felt great about Ryan. Last time I checked he's the only back in the league this year to have two consecutive 100-yard games. I don't understand why you wouldn't feel good about him.

"We have complete confidence in him and in my mind. He is a good football player."

Whisenhunt said he expected the ball to be spotted closer to the goal line after Danny Woodhead's touchdown was reversed. And had he known the ball would be spotted a half-yard further away, he might have made a different call than what ended up being a first-down run to Woodhead that Philip Rivers audibled to out of a spread formation.

Whisenhunt also said the decision not to go for it on fourth down was Mike McCoy's call, but he had a play ready if McCoy had changed his mind.

Injury update: Outside linebacker Jarret Johnson was back on the injury report on Thursday. Johnson was a limited participant with a hamstring injury, the same issue that forced him to miss to miss two games earlier this season.

"Something kind of flared up, but we'll give you an update tomorrow," McCoy said about Johnson.

Offensive lineman Chad Rinehart (toe) was a limited participant for a second straight day.

Defensive end Lawrence Guy (toe) offensive lineman Mike Remmers (ankle) and receiver Eddie Royal (toe) did not practice.

Linebacker Donald Butler (groin) and punter Mike Scifres (knee) were full participants
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X