• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bolts4lyfe
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2017
    • Send PM

I too think it would be wise to try to trade T Williams or Inman for a draft pick, their value is probably the highest it may ever be, Say we trade T Will

We'd still have
    Allen, Williams, Benjamin and Inman and keep one more spot open for a guy like Andre Patton or Artavis Scott, both who I think may impress in TC

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Id actually like to keep TWill as part of our 3 headed monster. I think this will be Benjamins last year. I love TWill. And hes still raw. I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd rounder. Hes a RFA in 2018 so we can place a high tender on him for next year. Let him continue to get better and increase his value. But the thought of a 3 headed monster plus Henry to finish Rivers career really helps him to possibly achieve his dream of going to a SB. Not too mention protection in the even we lose Allen again. The Williams tandem would be pretty solid imo.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

I'd rather have a proven NFL player than a late round draft pick.
        It's just that with Allen (1), Mike Williams (2), Tyrell Williams (3), Inman (4), Benjamin (5) we are pretty much at the point where if any rookie shows anything, to keep them we let a vet go. If you wait until the end of camp, no one is going to trade for them, they will just wait and see what they can get off the waiver wire. If you do it now, you get credit for having young players with upside. We aren't going to get a top draft pick, but a middle round 4th or 5th is not unreasonable. It's not much, but it beats the nothing you get if we end up cutting them.

If I was going to, Tyrell Williams has the most value, but that cuts both ways. He is coming off his 2nd year, and it was a very steep learning curve coming from Western Oregon. He has some annoying habits, but when you consider how far he has come, he can still get a lot better.

Inman probably has the most immediate value for another team, although ESPN is running and article that he is out the next 6 weeks after having surgery.

Benjamin regressed enough that anyone who would want him would be willing to wait. But he has had very little quality playing time as a WR, so I don't think it is impossible for him to develop. He needs to really work on his route release off the line, especially vs press coverage. People forget he did not get much quality work in Cleveland because of the Browns putrid QB situation.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

With our injury history I wouldn't be letting any WRs go any time soon.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If Benjamin isn't motivated to be more than a #5 WR, I'd cut him, give the spot to a STer.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Benjamin was a fail as a PR (a long line of guys who were premier returners who suddenly sucked when they became chargers....coaching?) so I can see why guys are down on him. But as a WR he was far better than I expected. This is a pure speed guy who is just now learning how to run his routes and adding more routes to his repertoire. And he has RARE speed, the kind that scares teams. He is also about 165 lbs and not built for the playing time he was forced to see last year and he did play hurt for a large part of the season because there was no one else. I think it would be foolish to cut him loose. With better health in the WR corps, Benjamin can play the role he was supposed to play which is to take the top off the defense, take short passes the distance, and spell the starters. With a better ST coach, we may see the real Benjamin on punt returns.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Benjamin was a fail as a PR (a long line of guys who were premier returners who suddenly sucked when they became chargers....coaching?) so I can see why guys are down on him. But as a WR he was far better than I expected. This is a pure speed guy who is just now learning how to run his routes and adding more routes to his repertoire. And he has RARE speed, the kind that scares teams. He is also about 165 lbs and not built for the playing time he was forced to see last year and he did play hurt for a large part of the season because there was no one else. I think it would be foolish to cut him loose. With better health in the WR corps, Benjamin can play the role he was supposed to play which is to take the top off the defense, take short passes the distance, and spell the starters. With a better ST coach, we may see the real Benjamin on punt returns.

TG
                in addition to the mentioned FAIL as a PR (he was scared of contact for 1 thing), he also has lousy hands for a WR and I remember at least 1 drop that was in his hands when he was wide open behind the defense. I remember all the people salivating over prospects of landing this guy last year- MAINLY for his PR skills- and being the lacking deep threat to justify a big FA spend on him. Reality is he's a frail 1 trick pony (straight line speed only) and can't run routes or even catch when the ball gets to him. Not the kind of WR Rivers always depends on and IMO not playing up to his contract numbers.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

in addition to the mentioned FAIL as a PR (he was scared of contact for 1 thing), he also has lousy hands for a WR and I remember at least 1 drop that was in his hands when he was wide open behind the defense. I remember all the people salivating over prospects of landing this guy last year- MAINLY for his PR skills- and being the lacking deep threat to justify a big FA spend on him. Reality is he's a frail 1 trick pony (straight line speed only) and can't run routes or even catch when the ball gets to him. Not the kind of WR Rivers always depends on and IMO not playing up to his contract numbers.
                  That's exactly how I remember Benjamin last year. I don't trust him at all. But I'm not throwing the ball for the Chargers this year so who cares what I think. The good news about drafting Williams and getting Allen back healthy is we don't have to depend on Benjamin quite so much. So that's where I agree with HM. Hopefully with less playing time he'll be more apt to do things right. His "body/lack of instincts to avoid crushing hits" isn't designed for full time play IMO.
                  For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                  X