Why we lost this game and a season long issue...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Why we lost this game and a season long issue...

Our red zone conversion rate is a travesty. We settled for three FG attempts in the first half which cost us dearly. We couldn't convert vs Washigton. We had issues at Tennessee.

Time and time again this year we haven't been able to finish drives. Play calling, stupid penalties, blown o line assignments, and just bad execution overall have contributed.

I know everyone wants to keep blaming the D, but man our offense is really the culprit for most of our losses this season.

We have definitely made strides this season, but it's clear we need more pieces. For starters, we don't have a single WR that really can just go up and catch a TD. We lack that mismatch.

That's also why I am advocating they switch to more of a two TE set. It's time to start using Greens ability to create a mismatch in the red zone. All the guy does is make big plays. He's being criminally underused ATM.
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

I agree.

Plus scheming to cover up personnel weaknesses can only go so far. It's still impressive that the offense is playing as well as it is, but I think we all know this offense is not an elite one yet. I think defenses are starting to catch on to what the Chargers like to do. At some point you need the physical mismatch to dominate.

I think we were all excited about Vincent Brown's potential but he's been a big disappointment this year. But with the injuries to Floyd and DX, they have to keep starting him, which sucks. This offense would be so different with Floyd/DX on one side, Allen on the other and Royal in the slot or like you said, with Green on the field with Gates.

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think the "take what the defense gives you" philosophy mostly works outside 20 yrds of the goalline, after that they really aren't going to get you much. At some point the team needs to learn to impose it's will around the redzone. if it's a run for a yard, don't chicken out of it just because the defense is expecting run. The only thing we've done is go from one Offensive system that moves up and down field then falters when it matters in the redzone, to another Offensive system that moves up and down the field then falters when it matters in the redzone.

we also have the conundrum of relying too much on passing because we have a qb that i don't think we'll be able to learn to be a power running team or develop into one currently (it's the reverse of us not being able to develop a passing attack since it was easier to rely on a great rb/running game)

Comment

• MassGeneralBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I keep harping this but when get down the redzone need to have a dominant power running game that not only can impose its will but the playaction off the fake that will freeze defenses. I like Woodhead but I want to see a real dedication to developing Matthews this season and see if he can be the workhorse this team so desperately needs from the running game. Sorry but Woodhead is not the guy u build a running game around, this team likely won't make the playoffs this years so better develop the young guys and see if need at all to draft a RB or can Matthews be the guy?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
          It's time to start using Greens ability to create a mismatch in the red zone. All the guy does is make big plays. He's being criminally underused ATM.
          Green also missed some key blocks. That one where Miller took down the RB behind the LOS sticks out.
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• madcaplaughs
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

We played a superior team, with superior talent. I like the Chargers a lot more than last year. At least I have some hope when watching games. We need a left tackle, 2 pass rushers, and a cornerback, badly.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

well, the DID run it in for 2 TDs yesterday, even with depleted/shuffled OL.

Anybody know what happened to Hardwick? TV announcers were clueless he even went out of the game and never returned. All they talked about was Dunlap going out- and even called the shuffle wrong initially saying Clary was swapped to LT.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Buck
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

It would help if we had Malcom or still had VJax. Gates isn't able to out jump 100% of defenders anymore. That fade to him in Washington...ugh

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

If you think about it, it's not really all that surprising. We are missing our number one and two receivers and our line is in a constant medical mess. I'm not sure they are capable of imposing their will with that patchwork group. Having said that, I'd still like to try ramming it down their throats behind Fluker.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

I agree that the Red Zone offense has been the most dissappointing aspect of the team this season.

If the Chargers are better in the Red Zone...we may have won a couple of those games we lost...despite all the other issues.

The team has shown talent and ability to move the ball on anyone...just need to figure out how to finish consistently.
                    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• RTPbolt
                      Charger Fan till the end
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Carolina
                      • Send PM

We lost because we couldn't execute the plan with the players we had. As other stated we are on 2nd tier players starting. We had OL dropping like flies yet again. We were up against a superior team matchup wise. Frankly we tested Denver. Kept them to under 30 points for the first time this year. We weren't far from beating them. A couple things change and we could have one that game. Doesn't change we aren't really setup to go far this year.

It will be interesting to see how we do against KC. I think we actually matchup pretty well to them. If we can stay aggressive on our defense and hold their offense to 1 dimension we have a pretty good chance. Our offense can move the ball down the field ...we need to get in the endzone more but its always harder the closer we get to the line given our spread out offense is better than tight formation offense....we just aren't setup well to power run right now with the injuries we've had on the OL.

As much as we could say its our offense that lost it..its far more an issue that our defense just cant hold up with the talent we have healthy. Losing your two best pass rushers and having typically 1 to 2 of your best CBs (which arguably are not top tier talent) out on a regular basis is a recipe for struggling for any defense. We just cant expect miracles with this defense. Give us another injection via draft and FA and maybe we might have something. We have a good base on a team level....we are competitive and need a few more building blocks to come together to be a strong team again but I dont think its outside of reality to see that happen even next year to be an Indy type of team...young but good. We already can challenge any team IMO but will on average lose half the battles due to our talent being the difference maker in the 4th quarter.

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Our red zone conversion rate is a travesty. We settled for three FG attempts in the first half which cost us dearly. We couldn't convert vs Washigton. We had issues at Tennessee.

Time and time again this year we haven't been able to finish drives. Play calling, stupid penalties, blown o line assignments, and just bad execution overall have contributed.

I know everyone wants to keep blaming the D, but man our offense is really the culprit for most of our losses this season.

We have definitely made strides this season, but it's clear we need more pieces. For starters, we don't have a single WR that really can just go up and catch a TD. We lack that mismatch.

That's also why I am advocating they switch to more of a two TE set. It's time to start using Greens ability to create a mismatch in the red zone. All the guy does is make big plays. He's being criminally underused ATM.
                        The coach seems to prefer Phillips over Green. Personally, I have to find a way to get Green and his 21.1 ypc average in there more and you would think his size and athleticism would create matchup problems in the red zone.

Comment

Working...
                        X