• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Fumble Stats - Woodhead versus Mathews

Slow day at work so I decided to look this up. Note: I use total fumbles and not just fumbles lost for this comparison:

Current Year

Mathews 2013: 131 Rush + 8 Recpt = 139 Touches. Fumbles = 1. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0072

Woodhead 2013: 59 Rush + 53 Recpt = 112 Touches. Fumbles = 2. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0179

Past Two Years

Mathews 2012-2013: 315 Rush + 47 Recpt = 362 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0083

Woodhead 2012-2-13: 135 Rush + 93 Recpt = 228 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0132

Career

Mathews Career: 695 Rush + 119 Recpt = 814 Touches. Fumbles = 13. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0160
    Woodhead Career: 324 Rush + 153 Recpt = 477 Touches. Fumbles = 4. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0084

So, over the last two years Mathews has hardly been the fumbling machine some portray him to be and his numbers are actually better than Woodhead's.
    Last edited by Den60; 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM.
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    Slow day at work so I decided to look this up. Note: I use total fumbles and not just fumbles lost for this comparison:

Current Year

Mathews 2013: 131 Rush + 8 Recpt = 139 Touches. Fumbles = 1. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0072

Woodhead 2013: 59 Rush + 53 Recpt = 112 Touches. Fumbles = 2. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0179

Past Two Years

Mathews 2012-2013: 315 Rush + 47 Recpt = 362 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0083

Woodhead 2012-2-13: 135 Rush + 93 Recpt = 228 Touches. Fumbles = 3. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0132

Career

Mathews Career: 695 Rush + 119 Recpt = 814 Touches. Fumbles = 13. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0160
    Woodhead Career: 324 Rush + 153 Recpt = 814 Touches. Fumbles = 4. Ratio of Fumbles/Touch = 0.0084

So, over the last two years Mathews has hardly been the fumbling machine some portray him to be and his numbers are actually better than Woodhead's.
    Might want to re-add those numbers.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
      Might want to re-add those numbers.
      Changed it. The ratio was correct but I was doing cut and past to save time and didn't change the number of total touches.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

RM is comming along nicely in that way, yet it seems he is not used at key points in games, like he is still missing the trust of his coaches.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Suffice to say, when Den60 wants to make a point with one of "his guys" (Mathews, Butler, Ingram, Green) he's a master ball washer. And just the opposite is true if the player is NOT one of "his guys" (Rivers, Te'o, Fluker). Now he's even picking on one of our own players (Woodhead) to make a 'point' about Mathews. Good reading.

Comment

• thelightningwill
            Go Aztecs and Pads
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

He's fumbled less this year. I may have to take back my call to cut him.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              Suffice to say, when Den60 wants to make a point with one of "his guys" (Mathews, Butler, Ingram, Green) he's a master ball washer. And just the opposite is true if the player is NOT one of "his guys" (Rivers, Te'o, Fluker). Now he's even picking on one of our own players (Woodhead) to make a 'point' about Mathews. Good reading.
              No, just pointing out how people can become clouded in their opinions. Do you have a problem with these stats? Do you think they are not accurate? And in no way am I dissing Woodhead at all. Did I ever say Woodhead was a fumble factory? No.

Comment

No, just pointing out how people can become clouded in their opinions.
                You? Pointing out how people can become clouded in their opinions? This is like Philip Rivers giving a class on contraceptives.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

No, just pointing out how people can become clouded in their opinions. Do you have a problem with these stats? Do you think they are not accurate? And in no way am I dissing Woodhead at all. Did I ever say Woodhead was a fumble factory? No.
                  LOL! Don't get so defensive. It has nothing at all do to with "clouded" opinions. You're spinning the numbers in a way that would make Yuba proud. And no amount of spinning is going to make Mathews any more than what he is: A high and costly first-round underachiever who wasn't worth the price we paid for him. It's amazing how you moan about giving up a FOURTH round pick to move up to grab Te'o, yet seem to be all too forgiving of the price (a high 2nd-round pick) to move up for an injury-prone guy who STILL hasn't figured out how to stay on the field on 3rd down and who HAS had problems holding on to the ball.

Those are the only 'stats' that matter to me.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    LOL! Don't get so defensive. It has nothing at all do to with "clouded" opinions. You're spinning the numbers in a way that would make Yuba proud. And no amount of spinning is going to make Mathews any more than what he is: A high and costly first-round underachiever who wasn't worth the price we paid for him. It's amazing how you moan about giving up a FOURTH round pick to move up to grab Te'o, yet seem to be all too forgiving of the price (a high 2nd-round pick) to move up for an injury-prone guy who STILL hasn't figured out how to stay on the field on 3rd down and who HAS had problems holding on to the ball.

Those are the only 'stats' that matter to me.
                    I simply put up stats that show over the last couple of years Mathews has taken care of the ball. It has nothing to do with Yuba (and I think people should refrain from posting about someone who is not allowed to defend himself on here, just my opinion), it has nothing to do with Rivers, or Fluker or Te'o or anyone else. It has to do only with Mathews and fumbles and whether or not he deserves the reputation that he is a fumbler and if that should keep him out of the lineup when we are in the red zone (or anywhere else for that matter).

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Two completely different coaching staffs seem very reluctant to use him in the red zone. If it was just one, you could hypothesize he was in the doghouse for whatever reason. But two of them? Looks to me like they are seeing things they don't like.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

I simply put up stats that show over the last couple of years Mathews has taken care of the ball. It has nothing to do with Yuba (and I think people should refrain from posting about someone who is not allowed to defend himself on here, just my opinion), it has nothing to do with Rivers, or Fluker or Te'o or anyone else. It has to do only with Mathews and fumbles and whether or not he deserves the reputation that he is a fumbler and if that should keep him out of the lineup when we are in the red zone (or anywhere else for that matter).
                        Pretty narrow point, if you ask me. But whatever. Your posts are thick with an agenda, even when you MAY not be pushing one. I feel as if you've made that bed over the past few months, and it's going to be hard for this poster to take what you say at face value because of your recent history. As for Yuba, I was one of the few guys here who actually sort of liked the guy, and I tried to help him out on more than one occasion. For the record, I did not approve of his ban (but that's beside ANY point). If it makes you uncomfortable, then I will refrain from doing it in the future.

Comment

Working...
                        X