• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Have we ever had a lead this year? We must lead the league in minutes trailing.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Bolt-O commented
      Editing a comment
      They were ahead of Miami 17-10 after the Gates TD, then gave up 3 straight FGs. Koo missed the potential game winner.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Bosa is drawing a lot of attention, but is still somewhat productive. He got 1/2 a sack and almost stripped Smith on a couple of plays. He is also a good run defender.

It isn't going to be too long before teams decide that Ingram is too good and they start to give him more attention.

Also lost on most people is McCain is very quietly putting together a pretty decent year.

We are tied for 2nd in the league with 11 sacks, which is not bad considering. Most of the other teams have had a lead for part or most of their season (we have been playing from behind).
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

PArt of that pace being unsustainable is teams eventually make sure you have to beat at least 2 blockers on every play. Right now, Bosa is still drawing more attention than Ingram is. I expect that at some point, teams will start to mix their attention and then it will be up to Ingram and Bosa to raise their games, and McCain will have to step his up too.

Anyone else notices Phillon is starting to get more and more reps, along with playing more in big situations? Liuget had a big play or two, but Phillon is still making more plays.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Liuget is still not doing anything to impress. He gets a lot of mention because he is a top pick, and he is playing better, but Philon is at least as good a player and should continue to improve with playing time. Plus, it would free up $10 mill in cap space to let Liuget go.

Not saying we should do it right now, but if Liuget doesn't start to make some plays.......

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Yup, breakout player. Now if the team could only get on the same page with him...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Ingram has been much better as a DE in this defense. Not sure why he wasnt doing this well in our 3-4 but he has been very solid this year so far.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

BTW, I realize Chris started this thread, but shouldn't the tile be "Ingram Holds Out initially, but sings!"

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Ingram has been much better as a DE in this defense. Not sure why he wasnt doing this well in our 3-4 but he has been very solid this year so far.
                    Part of it is he is a better player than he was even a couple years ago. I don't think that many people realize how raw he was coming out of college. His technique is better. He uses his hands so much better. He has learned to string moves together and he just seems to see things much better now.

It also helps his production because he is no longer playing OLB. He is only going to drop into pass coverage rarely in this D, and when his best skill is rushing the passer it lets him focus on what he does best. Even last season, we asked Ingram to drop a lot. He was not the guy rushing opposite Bosa on every play. He did his fair share of it, but this season looks like the only times he won't be doing it, is when they give him a breather, which given how well conditioned he seems isn't going to be that much.

As far as having Bosa around, right now Bosa is still attracting a lot of attention. Most of the time this season, Bosa is drawing the extra attention. I don't think that is going to continue much longer. Teams are seeing how much of an impact Ingram is having, so they are going to have to do something about it. Then it becomes a battle between letting Bosa (who is still reasonably productive in his own right, despite the attention).

Lastly, he seems to have finally overcome the injury bug. At least in his case, he was carrying too much weight, which was too much wear and tear on his knees and joints. Now he is playing much lighter, and he moves better, but it also is less stress/strain on his legs and joints. It also helps his conditioning, which was pretty good before, but if you had 25-30 lbs less to carry around, your ability to run around the field would improve too.

Comment

Working...
                    X