Was Mathews about to have a HUGE game ??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Was Mathews about to have a HUGE game ??

After that first big run by Mathews, even after it was called back, it felt like Mathews was going to have a HUGE game ... he was chomping at the bit, then we pull him for a long time. Then we put him in again and he busts another one for big yards, then he gets stopped a couple times and we give up on the run ...

Whether its because of the contract year, or Mathews is feeling good or whatever, I feel like he has a 150+ game in him in the next week or two ... just a feeling ...

He seems just on the edge of a breakout, anybody else getting that vibe ... only thing that can stop him is the Whizzanator ...
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Word is that Mathews was very gassed after the long run that got called back.

Comment

• homeless simpson
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

they had to tape up his groin after the first long run. pointed out by the announcers.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

The Td run was impressive. The blocking didn't help much and did most of it on his own.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I've noticed he's really initiating a lot more contact than I recall in the past. I like it.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
            Whether its because of the contract year...
            Um, isn't next year his contract year?
            Adipose

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

I think TT & MM are deliberately holding his production back so he does have less value to to other teams as a FA- and they can singe him to an extension for less $. They are also making him prove himself worthy of being the #1 working hoarse, cowbell RB while they still have the luxury of Ronnie Brown on the roster. If all goes well this year he earns their trust and they cut Brown after this year and don't waste a high draft pick on another RB to replace Mathews and are set for a few years.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                I think TT & MM are deliberately holding his production back so he does have less value to to other teams as a FA-
                What?

If true they both should be fired
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

[QUOTE=Big Dog;45897]After that first big run by Mathews, even after it was called back, it felt like Mathews was going to have a HUGE game ... he was chomping at the bit, then we pull him for a long time. Then we put him in again and he busts another one for big yards, then he gets stopped a couple times and we give up on the run ...

Whether its because of the contract year, or Mathews is feeling good or whatever, I feel like he has a 150+ game in him in the next week or two ... just a feeling ...

He seems just on the edge of a breakout, anybody else getting that vibe ... only thing that can stop him is the Whizzanator ...[/QUOTE]

For as much as we rag on Pango and his defensive play calling Whiz has been equally puzzling too. I felt we came out strong running and then we went in 3 and out with 3 consecuitive pass plays At that point in the game the run game was dominate Matthews, Woodhead and Ronnie Brown were averaging 4 plus yards a crack we had 105 yards rushing at the half. I felt like we could of just wore there D down and kept Manning off the field even more that first half.

The Washington game made no sense either Matthews was coming off back to back 100 yard rushing game, came out strong in the Washington game running Matthews had 7 carries 35 yards in the first half and then one carry in the second half. Nobody is going to forget the last drive in regulation with us on the one and the crazy play calling.

Problem with Whiz is he finds a formula that works and then for whatever reason he will deviate from it or in a critical situation he will make questionable calls

Problem with Pango he goes into a game with a specific game plan and waits to long to make adjustments and makes questionable calls period.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Mathews is "stopping" himself. He's pretty much a one-dimensional runner, not a good blocker, not a great receiver out of the backfield and is ALWAYS a threat to screw something up when he's in there (fumble, missed block). He's being used PERFECTLY this season..save the last 2 plays in the Redskin game. No one is going to sign him to a huge contract, and neither should we after next year unless the light bulb goes on inside his challenged little brain and he figures out how to average more than 8-10 games/season.

But...I shouldn't be so mean. He's seems a nice kid and doesn't bring any personality baggage to the table. He is what he is, and would have been a GREAT pick in the 4th round. If he leaves, he won't be missed by many.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      Mathews is "stopping" himself. He's pretty much a one-dimensional runner, not a good blocker, not a great receiver out of the backfield and is ALWAYS a threat to screw something up when he's in there (fumble, missed block). He's being used PERFECTLY this season..save the last 2 plays in the Redskin game. No one is going to sign him to a huge contract, and neither should we after next year unless the light bulb goes on inside his challenged little brain and he figures out how to average more than 8-10 games/season.

But...I shouldn't be so mean. He's seems a nice kid and doesn't bring any personality baggage to the table. He is what he is, and would have been a GREAT pick in the 4th round. If he leaves, he won't be missed by many.
                      guess you missed the nice pass he caught Sunday and the 1st play TD in the opener.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I have seen nothing that supports this and often wonder why he isn't used more in the passing schemes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X