• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mike McCoy Report Card

Through his first nine games as head coach of the San Diego Chargers, Mike McCoy has his team in the hunt for an AFC playoff berth. That said, there is little margin for error at this point.

In his first nine games as head coach of the San Diego Chargers, Mike McCoy has his team in the hunt for an AFC playoff berth. That said, there is little margin for error at this point.

Following back-to-back losses to Washington and Denver, the Chargers sit precariously on the perch of a wild card spot in a tight AFC race. Although the Bolts are certainly not out of the race, McCoy and Co. must essentially run the table over the next seven weeks to put themselves in a solid spot to break their three-year playoff drought (those three years involved former head coach Norv Turner).

Beginning this Sunday, the Chargers meet a string of teams that all have various playoff aspirations. Some are all but a lock to make the playoffs, others have a decent chance, and a few others are longs shots at best. With that in mind, what are the chances McCoy can lead the Bolts into the playoffs in his first year at the helm?

The GoodThe BadThe Ugly

With seven games remaining in the regular season, McCoy should get a C+ on his first season in San Diego.

As noted earlier, Turner had run his course leading the Bolts, so change was inevitable. Whether or not Mike McCoy is the man for the job long-term remains to be seen.

Right now, all Charger fans would like is to be able to say that their team will be playing past the Dec. 29 regular season finale versus Kansas City.
    Hashtag thepowderblues
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

:yawn:

The author acknowledges theres still 7 weeks to go in the season, but goes ahead and gives MM a season grade. His second to last sentence is all he should have written.
    sigpic

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

"Dave Thomas has been covering the sports world since his first job as a sports editor for a weekly newspaper in Pennsylvania back in 1989. He has covered a Super Bowl, college bowl games, MLB, NBA and more. His work can be found on Examiner.com."

Who?

Comment

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        "Dave Thomas has been covering the sports world since his first job as a sports editor for a weekly newspaper in Pennsylvania back in 1989. He has covered a Super Bowl, college bowl games, MLB, NBA and more. His work can be found on Examiner.com."

Who?
        Dave Thomas.

Or possibly

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Aside from Oakland, I haven't really seen this team have any other stinkers. Certainly there have been halfs or quarters where we haven't played well, but the "up and down" line doesn't wash with me. I think we've been consistently decent which is probably better than our talent level and means its not surprising that we have trouble finishing.

He's in over his head!!!!!

Comment

• Boltergeist
            Pesky apparition
            • Jun 2013
            • Baja Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Right now, all Charger fans would like is to be able to say that their team will be playing past the Dec. 29 regular season finale versus Kansas City.
            If this happens, McCoy will deserve an A with about seven plusses. That it is even something that Wendy's dad thinks is worth mentioning means McCoy should be above C+.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
              He's in over his head!!!!!
              No, you have it all wrong. The game is to big for him.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                SLAM DUNK!
                • Jun 2013
                • East County San Diego
                • Bolt fanatic
                • Send PM

C+ seems more than fair to me.

I don't get why all the polls show overwhelming support. I think it is just the "he is not Norv" factor.
                migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  C+ seems more than fair to me. I don't get why all the polls show overwhelming support. I think it is just the "he is not Norv" factor.
                  C+ doesn't seem fair to me. Its an opinion and the opinion on how he's doing, for me, is based on expectations and if the team exceeds them or not. Personally, I believe he has done a great job keeping the team in every game, even the one that detractors point out as appearing unprepared. Jury is definitely still out, but this is a great season to be building for the future in every facet.

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                    C+ doesn't seem fair to me. Its an opinion and the opinion on how he's doing, for me, is based on expectations and if the team exceeds them or not. Personally, I believe he has done a great job keeping the team in every game, even the one that detractors point out as appearing unprepared. Jury is definitely still out, but this is a great season to be building for the future in every facet.
                    I agree.

That grade and article are :shit:
                    sigpic

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                      Expectations are not a factor in my view. Expectations are the main reason that Norv was so hated even though he was one of the most successful coaches in the franchises history.

Results are what matter. Expectations are meaningless.

3 losses I consider to be basically caused by coaching stupidity. It doesn't matter if you put up stats or whatever if you waste it by being an idiot.
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• sandiego17
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Disagree. I think he's doing a very good job keeping this team in games with the current talent on the team. Despite the obvious issues with injuries and roster limits, the team is competitive and I really don't believe in the "if then" on the 3 losses (don't they have 5?). By expectations, what I mean is he getting more or less out of the team than you should reasonably expect? If he coached the Seahawks or Broncos (or the 2007-2009 Chargers for that matter), I would consider his 4-5 record below average, but he's not coaching those teams. He's coaching this, rebuilding Charger team.

Comment

Working...
                        X