• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Training Camp Start Dates Question

Actually something i know very little about is how TC dates are set. And length of time. CBA rules etc.

My question. I noticed that the Chargers start TC on the 29th of July. Some teams start on the 20th of July. Every team has to have rosters cut to 75 at a single specific date. So the teams that start on the 20th seem to have a longer look at players. Cards and Cowboys go very early because of the HOF game.

I expect that given the Veterans 15 day allowance of practice days prior to the first pre season game is how this is all done?

So teams that play the HOF game or teams that start preseason on a Thursday actually get a longer period to look at players than those like the Chargers who start on Sunday?

It just seems that it would be more fair if every team had the same amount of time in camp and same amount of time to scout players before they are cut down to 75.

What am i missing here? Cowboys get an extra 12 days to access players?

• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

First Cutdown is easy. Practice after that is more efficient too.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Actually, the NFL decided to forego the 75 man cut down this season, just going from 90 to 53. The teams starting early are usually the HOF game participants, so they do get the benefit of the extra game, as well as practices, to evaluate, but I recall no one of consequence plays in the HOF game. They flat out cancelled the game last year because of a bad paint job.

If I recall correctly, by the CBA, other teams get to start camp early as well, due to coaching changes, but maybe the Chargers waived that, probably because they need time to work out the bugs in the camp infrastructure. I got an e-mail that said you could 'reserve' bleacher seats if you wish, but I have a feeling that they might have light attendance, just like when they held camp at CSU Dominguez Hills, and even in San Diego, they probably maxed out at 2K (except at Fan Fest..)

Comment

Working...
      X