• Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ummm I hate to say it but ...

We kind a have a good team this year...

Before everyone freaks out ... Starts checking their calendars of good date to do a meth intervention or starts recommending helpful pharmaceuticals for delusions, hear me out ...

DL - lots of talk out there about us having a pretty decent DL and we are even getting mentioned in the same sentence as the Texans for best DL in the NFL. And when you look at it Bosa - Luiget - Mebane - Ingram is not a bad looking group. A little weaker on the depth maybe but even there, some decent talent we like.

CB - Verette and Hayward are a nice starting pair and again maybe some depth issues but some nice talent coming along with the younger guys. And I really like Desmond King at nickel, nice size close to the line.

S - Addai is still improving and plays best close to the line but his deep coverage is improving, not great but still. Lowery is meh but we have depth behind them that goes like 6 deep in decent backups so the drop off is really minimal. No we don't has 2 legit starters but we got really decent bench strength. I predict that our 2 of our Safety cuts will make the 53 for other teams this year.

LB - Granted weakest part of the D, but even here I think J. Brown is a keeper and I like Perriman on 1st and 2nd downs and if we get 2015-16 Perriman even better. Our weakness still with the coverage LB but even then, I'll take that as the weak link in the D everyday of the week.

Then on offense:

QB - Rivers ain't the reason we didn't make the playoffs, he is still a franchise QB and a strength not a weakness. Big time heart, plays hurt and he can sling it even when the WR's were no name, no talents.

RB - Gordon and Watt make a decent low rent imitation of LT and Lorenzo. 3rd year Gordon is going over 1,200 yards and double digit TD's but more importantly our new RB coach is going to keep Gordon fresh for the playoffs and not run him into the ground so he is wore out for the playoffs.

WR - I like the group AND the depth which goes 6 deep.

OL - on paper it looks better and appears stronger in the middle, some good backups are going to get cut. And we only need 1 of the rookies to start and both just might. Decent swing tackle depth.

Lastly, special teams, our weakest position group. Even here, I think our return group will be better than people think and our punter has a year more experience and should not suck as bad as last year.

Coaching - again I think it is improved. Head Coach looks to be changing attitudes and appears to be more of a Marty motivator than a Norv / McCoy light weight. And I think our biggest improvement as a team might come from the strength and conditioning coach, if he can cut down on the injuries and if he can boost the overall fitness level so we don't run out of gas with two minutes to go in the game we could see a huge turnaround this year.

Just sayin' ...

PS - excuse the spelling, think of it as a Stinky tribute ...

Last edited by Big Dog; 07-15-2017, 02:43 PM.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

We are young but we are loaded with talent imo.

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Not sure they are really thin at LB. Brown and Perrryman are very good starters. Toomer was a great find of the Faiders practice squad. Kyle Emanuel is a very decent LB going into year 3 (I saw something on PFF stating he lead the league in tackle percentage last year) Then you have Perry who should feel more comfortable in Gus's defense this year.

Overall I think the D is young, but on the upswing. I remember two years ago the had pictures of the Chargers war room on draft with hammers on the desk. TT knew his D was soft and wanted to bring in more pipe hitters. I think he has done a very good job of upgrading the D with talent compared to where they were three years ago

Comment

• SDFan
        SDFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with your take on LBs. Overall I think this group is better than the DB group which has barely adequate starting S and 1 talented but injury prone starting CB, then a big drop off and many ??? behind them.
    • Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

OL
      ST
      Health .... every team gets injuries. Some mean reversion would be nice

These three areas will go a long way to determining our success this season.

Fwiw....i think our OL will be much improved and more athletic up the middle. Has the potential to be nasty, especially running the ball.

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
        THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
        Generous Donor
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We're due. Let's do this.
        NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Health, and coaching staff not being a hindrance, and we're in like Flint.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

3 first rounders on the DL. I love it.

and that's the defensive line not the disabled list.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• bolts4lyfe
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2017
              • Send PM

They were good last year too but that damn injury bug hit us like a run away train. Close to 8 games or so last year were lost by 3 points or less, playing our 3rd fourth and 5th string players and still managed to get by only to lose by lame kick or punt, or one bad catch

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Exactamundo. That's why with a little health luck, and less than sucky coaching, this Rivers-lead team can go very far indeed.

Comment

• therber219
                  therber219 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think "health luck" has been more a product of the culture the last 2 coaches brought. Both Norv and McCoy seemed to relaxed and non confrontational, so I can't imagine they put a very high premium on conditioning......could be wrong but it feels like Lynn wants these guys ready to play, every play, which should put a higher emphasis on strength and conditioning.
              • Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

The starting upgrades at safety may be in the depth. We wont know until they put the pads on and play. But in this system i think a guys like Jenkins and King can have a lot of success. King can play nickel and FS. Boundary safety, single high. Hes a solid little versatile coverage guy. Steal where we got him. Jenkins hits like a mack truck. Addae can also play FS. He was one of the better ballhawking safeties in college when he came out.

Comment

• Concudan
                  Bhi craic agus ceol again
                  Generous Donor
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Principal Quality Engineer
                  • Send PM

Until they win, and build an expectation for victory and winning... They are just Paper Tigers. I hate to say it, but when Seau was on the team we always looked like a dominant team. Most of the time it never translated to wins. Head Coaches, injuries etc.

While I like the talk our new HC is talking, and the staff he put together, we cant judge the product on the field yet.

Myself, I am hoping for the best but ready for the worst.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

It's like this....we can be zombies (most of the time that's what we are) or we can be footballers. We're rarely that.
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                    X