Clear All
  • Concudan
    Bhi craic agus ceol again
    Generous Donor
    • Jun 2017
    • Principal Quality Engineer
    • Send PM

Melvin Gordon's one-word description of Chargers coach Anthony Lynn

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Chargers sought a change of identity in selecting a new head coach after moving on from Mike McCoy at the end of the 2016 season.

And according to running back Melvin Gordon, the team is headed in the right direction. Gordon talked about the change in attitude provided by coach Anthony Lynn in this interviewsome interesting nuggets
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think this term is overused, as it really doesn't mean anything, other than that certain player likes him. Lynn was an NFL running back, so Gordon appreciates his experience. Some coaches are disciplinarians, like Parcells, but I'm sure that there were players that appreciated that. I guess if you were a tactician, like Norv, it's harder to apply the "player's coach" label to him, but it worked for Rivers.

Anyway, there seems to be a difference with attitudes on this team, but I think it's mostly the change from McCoy, or maybe they enjoy the change in the weight room.

Comment

• Concudan
      Bhi craic agus ceol again
      Generous Donor
      • Jun 2017
      • Principal Quality Engineer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I think this term is overused, as it really doesn't mean anything, other than that certain player likes him. Lynn was an NFL running back, so Gordon appreciates his experience. Some coaches are disciplinarians, like Parcells, but I'm sure that there were players that appreciated that. I guess if you were a tactician, like Norv, it's harder to apply the "player's coach" label to him, but it worked for Rivers.

Anyway, there seems to be a difference with attitudes on this team, but I think it's mostly the change from McCoy, or maybe they enjoy the change in the weight room.
      I agree. Players coach means different things to different players. I personally did not like hearing MG28 call Lynn a Players Coach, as most of the time I hear that it is tied to 'nice' coaches... I want Lynn to break his foot off in players end zones if they need it...

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

It obviously comes down to whether Lynn's approach produces wins or not. I forget who it was who said that at any given time, 20% of the players buy into the coaches program, 20% do not and the 60% in the middle see which way the wind blows, so-to-speak. If you're winning, the 60% buys into the program. If you're losing, they side with the guys who don't buy into it. That said, I like what I have read so far about Lynn. I think he will do a better job of keeping the players focused and will hold them accountable.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Fleet 1 Try and quote above post tweet. Or edit or make a comment. We have a glitch.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Comment

• Fleet
                Fleet commented
                Editing a comment
                Test
            • Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Test

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I hope that's not a Home Simpson "DOPE!"
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Melvin is a good guy. The kind you want to succeed. Hope for big things for him.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Starting to think a lot of people are going to be very surprised by what this team can do, including us (in a good way).

Comment

Working...
                    X