The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Starting Lineup Prediction

Chargers lean on revamped O-line to improve offense

• Eric D. WilliamsESPN Staff Writer

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- The Los Angeles ChargersOffense
    Quarterback (Philip Rivers): The North Carolina State product is attempting to rebound from a season in which he threw a career-high 21 interceptions. Even with the turnovers, Rivers finished with 4,386 passing yards and 33 touchdown passes last season, serving as an injury replacement in the Pro Bowl. Curbing turnovers was a point of emphasis during offseason work for Rivers.
    Tailback (Melvin Gordon): He missed reaching the 1,000-yard mark by 3 yards, sitting out the final three games of the 2016 season due to knee and hip issues. Gordon should benefit from a more balanced offense in 2017.
    Wide receiver (Keenan Allen):Wide receiver (Tyrell Williams): An undrafted rookie out of Western Oregon in 2016, Williams is out to prove his 1,059 receiving yards and seven touchdowns last season were no fluke.
    Tight end (Antonio Gates): The 36-year-old veteran is one touchdown away from breaking Tony Gonzalez's record for career touchdowns catches for tight ends of 111. Gates should benefit from a healthy Allen with better matchups in the slot.
    Tight end (Hunter Henry): The Arkansas product is ready to take on a larger role in the offense for the Chargers after totaling eight receiving touchdowns as a rookie.
    Left tackle (Russell Okung):Left guard (Matt Slauson):Center (Spencer Pulley):Right guard (Forrest Lamp): The Western Kentucky product should provide an upgrade here over D.J. Fluker, but he still has to battle Kenny Wiggins for the starting job.
    Right tackle (Joe Barksdale):Defense
    Defensive end (Joey Bosa): It will be interesting to see what the Ohio State product does for an encore in 2017 after totaling 10.5 sacks in 12 games as a rookie.
    Defensive end (Melvin Ingram):Defensive tackle (Brandon Mebane): At 31 years old, Mebane remains one of the best run-stuffing nose tackles in the NFL, serving as a veteran leader for this young defense.
    Defensive tackle (Corey Liuget): He finished without a sack in 2016 for the first time in his six-year career. However, Liuget is in better shape and looking for better results in the upcoming season.
    Weakside linebacker (Jatavis Brown): A fifth-round selection out of Akron last year, Brown led the Chargers in tackles with 70 his rookie season. Brown also flashed playmaking ability, recording 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles.
    Middle linebacker (Denzel Perryman): The Miami product takes over as the defensive playcaller in his third NFL season and is a thumper in the run game.
    Strongside linebacker (Kyle Emanuel):Cornerback (Casey Hayward): Leading the league in interceptions a year ago with seven, Hayward earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl and is looking to cement his status as one of the best corners in the NFL in 2017.
    Cornerback (Jason Verrett): The TCU product gives the Chargers one of the best cornerback duos in the league if he can stay healthy. Verrett has missed 24 games in three NFL seasons.
    Strong safety (Jahleel Addae): He signed a four-year, $22.5 million deal this offseason and will serve as the leader in the back end for the Chargers defensively.
    Free safety (Dwight Lowery): The 10-year veteran led the Chargers in snaps defensively last season with 961 and should show improvement in his second season with the franchise.

Special teams
    Kicker (Josh Lambo): The Texas A&M product led the league in touchbacks last season with 67, but he also had four kicks blocked and sailed four kickoffs out of bounds.
    Punter (Drew Kaser): Although inconsistent at times his rookie season, Kaser finished tied for 10th in the NFL, averaging 46.3 yards per punt, including 18 downed inside the 20-yard line.
    Long-snapper (Mike Windt): Entering his eighth season with the Chargers, Windt is the highest paid at his position this season, earning $1.52 million in 2017.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

My only question would be Emanual over Toomer. I think Toomer has more speed and would be better in coverage.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      My only question would be Emanual over Toomer. I think Toomer has more speed and would be better in coverage.
      I do agree with that, but I think Emanual is better at the point of the attack then Toomer. I think Toomer will play a lot, but Emanual has been a poor man's Ben Leber IMO. I saw something from PFF that said Emanual only missed one tackle last year.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

And Jatavis Brown could be the secret weapon this year. With his speed at WOLB, he could live in the backfield.

And overall, that's a pretty decent starting 22. Like the last couple of years, its all going to come down to the OL play.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• OhioBolt
          OhioBolt commented
          Editing a comment
          No doubt can't wait to see what happens with Bosa and Ingram on the ends then you send a speed guy like Brown on the blitz. This Defense can be in the top ten baring injuries, we need improvement at the safety position which is our weakness!
      • Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

I do agree with that, but I think Emanual is better at the point of the attack then Toomer. I think Toomer will play a lot, but Emanual has been a poor man's Ben Leber IMO. I saw something from PFF that said Emanual only missed one tackle last year.
        Poor man's Ben Leber ... ouch, that is gonna leave a mark !!!

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I liked Ben Leber too. Never did anything fancy, but you could always trust him to do his job.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post

Poor man's Ben Leber ... ouch, that is gonna leave a mark !!!
            10 year NFL career. There could be worse LBers to be compared to.

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Max Tuerk seems to be the forgotten man on the O-line. I certainly want to see the best player start so it should be a good competition between Tuerk and Pulley.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Bolt-O commented
                Editing a comment
                The redshirt year for Tuerk is done. I don't think it's "prove it" stage yet, to me he's like a rookie. Pulley should be improved, and is too far ahead to make easy to take that spot.
            • Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
              Max Tuerk seems to be the forgotten man on the O-line. I certainly want to see the best player start so it should be a good competition between Tuerk and Pulley.
              Absolutely....get the best 5 OL unit out there whoever it may be. **xough cough***Lamp to RT....cough cough*****

Comment

• CTrout
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Boston likely beats out Lowery.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                  It's nice to finally have some legitimate competition at Safety.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                    Perhaps. Lowery has played in this scheme though, so he may have the inside track. Regardless i think we have the deepest secondary in Ages.

Comment

Working...
                    X