• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Malik Hooker on PUP

I admit I wanted Malik Hooker (or you could just look it up 'cause I wrote it, I guess) instead of Williams. Hooker had the injury he was coming back from but by all accounts it was not going to be a long term issue. Seems he pulled his hammy during a workout and now is going on the PUP. It may be related to his other injury or it may be that he is going to be injury prone. At any rate, Hooker has a lot of talent but limited experience and bad habits (eh hem, tackling) so missing time is not good for him. Still think he will be a great pro end of the day, though.

Troy Polumula was injured a lot (hamdstrings) in college and early NFL and he worked out fine. And we passed on him to trade down to snatch Sammy Davis.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Polumalu never had issues as tackling though. Coming out of the combine it sounded to me like Hooker might miss time this year so I'm not too surprised by this. Guess it makes the injury concerns around MW not hurt as much since Hooker was towards the top of a lot of our boards.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Judge all this after sesson 3

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Part of the concern with Polumalu was he was a smallish S, and a huge hitter. The concern was he would hurt himself with all the big hits (see Jahleel Addae).

Hooker has concerns because he is the same sort of smallish build, but he has not played very much. It was impressive that he did well given how little playing time he had in college. Now Hooker has to make a huge step up, and the guy doesn't have a lot of experience to fall back on (1 year as a starter).

Add in the injuries that people knew were going to rob him of his rookie year offseason, it is going to be very hard for him to come in and do well right off the bat, even if he can get healthy. Indy really needs him to play, so he will probably start even if he is not ready.

That being said, I like him, and I hope he does well. I still think, with as much as I liked Mike Williams, that Hooker would have been a good pick for us. But I think he would be a year or two away from turning into a starter, and then another year or two until he shows that elite range and playmaking ability
        Last edited by Steve; 07-28-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

He was activated from the PUP today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...from-pup-list/

Colts activate Malik Hooker from PUP list

Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2017, 1:24 PM EDT

Malik Hooker, the 2017 first-rounder from Ohio State, has been activated from the Physically Unable to Perform List. Quarterback Andrew Luck remains on PUP.
          Also added to the PUP list were defensive end Kendall Langford and center/guard Brian Schwenke. All players on the active PUP list count toward the 90-man roster. Eventually, teams will have to decide whether to activate the players or put them on reserve/PUP to start the season. If that happens, they must spend at least six more weeks there.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Should have could have been a Charger....
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I liked him, but the fact is I am pretty happy with S we got, so I don't think it mattered that much. Generally speaking, I prefer guys who have more playing time in college over 1 year wonders like Hooker. Add in the injuries, and the weaknesses in his game.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

On draft day, Gruden pretty much ripped Hooker apart, showing a 'low light' reel of his tackling. He needs a lot of work on fundamentals, wrapping up, angles, etc. He is not afraid of contact, just looked lost at times. But then you watch him in pass coverage and he looks like the next Ed Reed. Can be a phenomenal FS if he gets coached up early.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

If he's injured, we drafted the wrong guy. Wait, our guy is injured...is our curse spilling over to guys we wanted but didn't draft???

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I liked him, but the fact is I am pretty happy with S we got, so I don't think it mattered that much. Generally speaking, I prefer guys who have more playing time in college over 1 year wonders like Hooker. Add in the injuries, and the weaknesses in his game.
                    agreed. Interesting prospect, but much as i like qbs that are accurate, i like safeties that can tackle.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      On draft day, Gruden pretty much ripped Hooker apart, showing a 'low light' reel of his tackling. He needs a lot of work on fundamentals, wrapping up, angles, etc. He is not afraid of contact, just looked lost at times. But then you watch him in pass coverage and he looks like the next Ed Reed. Can be a phenomenal FS if he gets coached up early.

TG
                      Gruden did the same thing to Myles Garrett too. Pointed out the things he lacks and needs to work on. Said he wasnt the best player in that draft.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

This was just such a good draft at S (and secondary in general), I just don't think we need to grab a guy we might not have been totally sold on.

I know people are souring on Mike Williams, but even if he misses most of this season, I don't think it changes my opinion of that draft pick. Draft picks need to be viewed in their overall development, so if they aren't productive as rookies (and most rookies aren't), it doesn't make our break them.

The draft is not about filling immediate needs. Too few draft picks are immediately productive. If you have to have a starter, better get a reasonably priced FA for a year, maybe 2. But FA are almost never long term fixes. That is what draft picks are for. You can get several seasons out of them after they develop.

Comment

Working...
                        X