Dumping Core (Guys to cut/redo at the end of the season)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Dumping Core (Guys to cut/redo at the end of the season)

Might as well stop fooling ourselves and just slash and burn and hope we can pull a Phoenix out of the ashes.

Guys we need to CUT
    Larry English
    LeRon McClain
    Dwight Freeney
    Jarrett Johnson
    Derrick Cox
    Ronnie Brown
    King Dunlap (for his own sake)
    Crezdon Butler
    Kwame Gaethers
    Richard Marshall
    Rich Ohrnberger
    Johnny Patrick
    John Phillips
    Charlie Whitehurst
    Jonas Mouton

Guys we need to re-structure to justify keeping around
    Jeromey Clary
    Eddie Royal
    Nick Hardwick

FA Guys we should offer TEAM FRIENDLY contracts to (or let them walk)
    Cam Thomas (1 year deal)
    Donald Butler
    Malcom Floyd (1 year deal; much as I love the guy)
    Danario Alexander (1 year deal)

Guys we should restructure to free up some much-need cap room
    Philip Rivers
    Eric Weddle

Damn, you're going to cut 3 CBs? And replace them with...?

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
      Damn, you're going to cut 3 CBs? And replace them with...?
      Steve Williams, Marcus Gilchrist (Put Taylor @safety), FA, Draftee???

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

A lot of those 'cuts' are on 1 year deals. And I don't see JJ or Phillips being cut
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          A lot of those 'cuts' are on 1 year deals. And I don't see JJ or Phillips being cut
          Cut/don't re-sign. Just don't bring them back!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Currently at least one of our CBs could be replaced with a strategicly placed high hurdle and no one would miss him.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Shouldn't we be dumping our "non-core" players?

I thought Rivers, Weddle, Ingram, Luigit, Reyes, Fluker, Hardwick, Allen, Te'o, Butler, Woodhead were our core... Don't dump any of them if you ask me! Build around them.

Get a NT and make Cam a back up to make 4 positions better. RDE, LDE, and both ILBrs.
              Get an OLB to team up with Ingram in the draft and make 4 players better 2 safties and 2 CBs.
              Get 3 new Oline! OLT OLG and a back up Center. Keep King to swing! Make the whole offence better!
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                It would be nice but he got a 3 year deal which I still am shaking my head about. Don't see the need to offer Floyd since he has two years left on his contract. Maybe Q should think of moving him to the "restructure" category but he costs more to cut than to keep. Letting Thomas and Butler walk should really help us on defense. Cutting JJ does save some money and God knows we are incredibly deep at OLB.

We add lots more holes to this team if we do all what Q wants to do. Sounds like in his opinion we aren't quite yet to rebuilding mode.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                  Shouldn't we be dumping our "non-core" players?

I thought Rivers, Weddle, Ingram, Luigit, Reyes, Fluker, Hardwick, Allen, Te'o, Butler, Woodhead were our core... Don't dump any of them if you ask me! Build around them.

Get a NT and make Cam a back up to make 4 positions better. RDE, LDE, and both ILBrs.
                  Get an OLB to team up with Ingram in the draft and make 4 players better 2 safties and 2 CBs.
                  Get 3 new Oline! OLT OLG and a back up Center. Keep King to swing! Make the whole offence better!
                  Sorry. Used a computer term. "Dumping core", to me, means basically unloading everything and starting over. Nothing to do with 'core' players. Bad choice of words on my part. And I can't change the thread title (or I would).

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    It would be nice but he got a 3 year deal which I still am shaking my head about. Don't see the need to offer Floyd since he has two years left on his contract. Maybe Q should think of moving him to the "restructure" category but he costs more to cut than to keep. Letting Thomas and Butler walk should really help us on defense. Cutting JJ does save some money and God knows we are incredibly deep at OLB.

We add lots more holes to this team if we do all what Q wants to do. Sounds like in his opinion we aren't quite yet to rebuilding mode.
                    My opinion is the product of a tortured football mind. I didn't take ANY time to research this ill-advised and inaccurate post. I guess you can say it's my opinion about what I'd HOPE we could do to: 1) Save money and; 2) Get rid of dead wood and/or old players.

Probably has no basis in reality of any kind. Not even mine.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Guys we need to CUT
                      Larry English
                      LeRon McClain
                      Dwight Freeney

Jarrett Johnson* If Freeney is cut this helps his chances to stay

Derrick Cox* Easy to say based on performance, but then we have no corners, and this was TT big splash he may give him one more shot

Ronnie Brown

King Dunlap (for his own sake)* depends on his health

Crezdon Butler
                      Kwame Gaethers
                      Richard Marshall
                      Rich Ohrnberger

Johnny Patrick* out of all our terrible backs he has been serviceable as nickel and good special teams and we can't cut all our corners, but if they cut Cox his stock increases

John Phillips
                      Charlie Whitehurst
                      Jonas Mouton

I agree with all of these except the ones I have an asterick by, the rest of these guys seems like a no-brainer

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Geez that's half the starters on this roster. Can't do them all.

Larry English - CUT
                        LeRon McClain - CUT
                        Dwight Freeney - KEEP....we need pass rush potential and while i know he's got a big cap number I dont think we can cut him without a better substitute
                        Jarrett Johnson - KEEP....he's still got some game and was playing well until the injuries
                        Derrick Cox - ARGHHH...I dont know what to do with him. His tackling is killing me but he's also a victim of our non-existent pass rush. Without options i'm favoring keeping for another year to give him a chance to improve on a revamped D in the 2nd year.
                        Ronnie Brown - CUT...I don't see him really necessary with RM and Woody. If he's super cheap but otherwise he just isn't really in the game plan for me.
                        King Dunlap (for his own sake) - KEEP..IF his head isn't a mess. Feel bad for the guy as he was playing pretty well. If he can't pass the tests then cut but hope we dont need to. Definitely need another LT capable body though....swapping Fluker has got to be screwing with his development.
                        Crezdon Butler - CUT...unless they think he's ok depth
                        Kwame Gaethers - FENCE - I don't really know if he's been playing much. Ok to keep if he's dirt cheap and progressing as a rookie...we need cheap guys to develop.
                        Richard Marshall - Oh Gawd...He should be 3rd string for us but has been forced to start. So many mistakes but give him time maybe he could develop. Given our CB issues i'd let the coaches make the call....we get better options and i'd drop him for sure.
                        Rich Ohrnberger - KEEP - I know he's been hurt but he was pretty decent. Lets see him finish the year out.
                        Johnny Patrick - FENCE - Only for 3rd string depth.
                        John Phillips - FENCE - for all the talk on him I don't think i've seen his name in some time. If he's cheap keep but Green has shown me enough that Green may be our true #2 TE.
                        Charlie Whitehurst - FENCE - Who's gunna carry the clipboard? I don't care. He's mr irrelevant and always has been with Rivers being a model for health as QB.
                        Jonas Mouton - CUT - Dont think we've seen him emerge at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X