• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Achilles heel ?

What a difference a game makes, we looked much better against a really weak team.

Lots of players flashed and our best players looked like the best. The ones looked good on both offense and defense and we were up 21-0 when they left the game.

But what do you think is our Achilles heel, the part of our game, that remains a concern, where if other teams go after us we could fall short?
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

#1 is depth, but over 90% of the league can say that

#2 O-line. Like #1 very little depth and losing Lamp hurts a lot. Wiggins has been better then I thought, but the Rams had second stringers in most of the game. If he was a back up I would feel a lot better

#3 and I feel this is their biggest Achilles heel thus far is their run D. Losing Perryman for half the season hurts. They have not stopped the run in any of their three games. My only hope is most teams play from behind against the Chargers and Boss and Ingram can just play with their ears pinned back and wreak havoc on opposing QB's. I still see a 4&29 scenario again this season sadly

Comment

• rustybolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2017
      • Send PM

The Rams aren't the weak team they portrayed themselves to be. The Rams played only Goff and his starting oline, with all the defense being second string. So of course the Charger offense looked good against a defense playing only reserve players. I'm sorry but this looked like it was fixed for the Chargers to win.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Bearded14YourPleasure commented
        Editing a comment
        At least try and keep to the topic of the thread. You don't need to post the same things repeatedly across threads to get your opinion out there.

• Boltjolt
        Boltjolt commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess Seattle played their second string defense as well? Why would ANYBODY fix a preseason game? And being preseason, who gives a shit who won.
        I can tell you are really going to be fun around here when the real season starts.
    • Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
      #1 is depth, but over 90% of the league can say that

#2 O-line. Like #1 very little depth and losing Lamp hurts a lot. Wiggins has been better then I thought, but the Rams had second stringers in most of the game. If he was a back up I would feel a lot better

#3 and I feel this is their biggest Achilles heel thus far is their run D. Losing Perryman for half the season hurts. They have not stopped the run in any of their three games. My only hope is most teams play from behind against the Chargers and Boss and Ingram can just play with their ears pinned back and wreak havoc on opposing QB's. I still see a 4&29 scenario again this season sadly
      The only thing I might do is switch 1 and 3.

I don't think it is Perryman being out that hurts the run D. The run fits are just bad and that goes across the board, regardless of which unit. Yeah, we missed Perrymnan on that long run that we gave up to the Saints, but it is more about having 11 guys out there and not working as a unit.

I heard Bosa a while back and he kept pointing out that most of the time, we do just fine. Maybe 75% or 80% of the time, there is no real issue, and then the other 20-25% of the time, there are guys not quite in position, or not doing the technique quite right. He is right (more or less) about the percentages, but the difference between a really good run D and a 32nd ranked run D is in what you do in those 20-25% of the plays.

Seattle is a great D not because they are awesome at never giving up any yards. They are just really good at not giving up long runs and making sure they get the ball carrier down fairly quickly. Our run D is still making a lot of fairly basic mistakes. We had some guys over-penetrating, some using the wrong arm to take on blocks, LB not squeezing down the gaps and a lot of guys just not getting the ball carrier down when they make contact. At this point, a lot of teams that will probably be good run defenses are still just about as sloppy as us, so you can definitely fix this stuff. But it needs to get fixed and fairly quickly. Big plays happen to every defense, but the good ones minimize it, and we seem to be very, very casual about it. Oh, shucks, we'll get it next time. That shit gets old.

As far as the OL goes, I never thought we were done fixing the OL. We still need OT help, and this wasn't the year to fix that. Even when we drafted Lamp, we still needed at least 1 OT, unless Barksdale is going to go back to playing like he did. If the D plays well, we can make some big plays in the passing game and just protect big leads, then I think we can cover up the OL thing to a degree. Barksdale and Okung are much better OL when they don't have to pass protect 50 plays a game. They are also a lot better when they get to bang on guy like Von Miller and JJ Watt in the running game, and not have to just let those guys pin their ears back.

Next year, hopefully we can address the OT thing and find 1 or more OT to bring in a challenge Barksdale and Tevi. A LT wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Same as always. OL depth and tackling on defense.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
          Humble Chargers Fan
          • May 2017
          • Golden Hill
          • Medical Devices Operations
          • Send PM

Hopefully, special teams will not be the Achille's heel that it has been for the last few years.
          "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• Big Dog
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Rugger 05, I'm with you on the run D. That looks like a big problem #1.

I like our starting D line and starting CB's and even Desmond King as our nickel back. Addai up close to the line is so-so but our FS is weak, so that is my #2.

#3 - I'll go with depth. Our backups (with the exception of McCain, Oliver, WR's and Eckler) really have played poorly.

#4 - ILB's our doughnut defense, the one with the hole in the middle, is going to be a TE party for the other teams. That and quick slants.

PS - spelling tribute to StinkyWeaselteats

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

How about strong points. Five turnovers by the D. Two returned for scores. That will win you a lot of games.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

This defense had been running the same system/scheme for what, 12 years? First Wade and then Pagano. It is going to take some time for the players to adjust to what Gus is preaching and to trust it. I expect, and so should you, some breakdowns and for the defense to look a little shaky early in the season. Then it should really improve. Charger run defense looks terrible just about every preseason I can remember.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Big Dog
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  This defense had been running the same system/scheme for what, 12 years? First Wade and then Pagano. It is going to take some time for the players to adjust to what Gus is preaching and to trust it. I expect, and so should you, some breakdowns and for the defense to look a little shaky early in the season. Then it should really improve. Charger run defense looks terrible just about every preseason I can remember.

TG
                  In the days of old we had the #1 run defense in the NFL and nobody could run against us, like 5-6 years in a row, but having Jamal Williams in the middle will do that for you ....

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    How about strong points. Five turnovers by the D. Two returned for scores. That will win you a lot of games.
                    It's nice when that works out, but you cannot count on that to happen. Turnovers are very random, and year to year, same coach, same personnel, teams takeaway vary widely. The idea that you can coach takeaways is complete bullshit.

The best you can do is to have players play very disciplined and play a lot of zone D so that players are waiting and can break on the ball. Historically, teams that do those things tend to give a few more turnovers than others.

In the days of old we had the #1 run defense in the NFL and nobody could run against us, like 5-6 years in a row, but having Jamal Williams in the middle will do that for you ....
                    That was back in the Joe Pascale days, prior to our move back to the 34. But there aren't a lot of Jamal Williams types hanging out at every bus stop.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

As far as the achillies heels go, almost every other team in football is facing the same thing.

Less tackling in practice so tackling is becoming a lost art.

College teams doing less to teach fundamentals of OL play, so there is a shortage of OL. Add to it that NFL rosters are set to be able to play a game, without the size to add developmental players, it makes it tough to hold onto a player for a couple of years to develop anyone (at any position).

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍