• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Interesting proposal, Fleet. I kinda like it. Brown is 32 and has had some injuries recently, but improving the O-line is a huge need. How much cap room do we have though? It would likely take $10+M/yr to make him happy. Draft a top C or G next year and the line could be on its way to being a strength.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
      Interesting proposal, Fleet. I kinda like it. Brown is 32 and has had some injuries recently, but improving the O-line is a huge need. How much cap room do we have though? It would likely take $10+M/yr to make him happy. Draft a top C or G next year and the line could be on its way to being a strength.
      Hes owed like 18 million over the next couple years. I think what he wants is to extend his contract by a couple more years. Reduce this years hit and roll it to the back end of a small extension. He can get cut next year and not be owed any money. Zero dead hit for Houston. I think he probably feels he may not get another contract worthy of the wear and tear. I think he wants to pay longer and have a little security until hes 35 or so. Then retire. We are around 10 million under now. reduce his 9 million hit to around 6 pay his nine next year and then another 9 the year after. Thats a 6 million guaranteed base plus the 3 he reduced this year. Another 6 after that to finish out his 2 year extension. I think that comes out to 30 million over the next 4 years. Whitworth just went 2 years 20 million.

Guarantee maybe 15 of it.

2017 - 6
      2018 - 9
      2019 - 6+3
      2020 - 6

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post
        they've been trying to draft top rated OLs the last couple years, but it makes no difference because they always get hurt. Then the lack of quality depth seals the deal on a losing season.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

We have about $10 mill in cap space (closer to $11 mill [https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/lo...les-chargers/]).

The problem is you can't use all of it on one guy. We might need to do something else and to do that we would need to cut someone and that has ripple effects. But that is just an accountants game. As long as the guy isn't unreasonable, we can get something done. Like everyone else, some combination of extension (security), bonus (certain money) and guaranteed salary (certain money, but less impact on team cash flow). I hate to bring it up, but it also adds a level of splash to the LA market, which they desperately need.

The good thing is that Brown wants a new deal, so this would give an excuse to give him one without making it about ripping up and existing contract. Teams hate that. If you do it with 1 guy, then any player who slightly outplays their deal is going to want you to rip up their deal and do a new one. This one you can justify it as a cap move and make the new rule for the team something along the line of new players coming in who would go over the salary cap. Something like Fleet is proposing is reasonable.

As far as I am concerned the biggest thing is that with Brown and Okung, you have 2 LT, and no RT's. Okung would just have to suck it up and move to his more natural position, even if he hasn't played RT before. You could also more Slausson to RG, move Okung to LG and Brown at LT, leaving Barksdale at RT, just some no player (except Slauson) has to flip their feet/hands.

There are not many times you can get a pro bowl caliber LT (3x pro bowl, 1x all pro in Brown's case). Is he a real long-term answer? No. He has a couple of years left. Okung has a couple years, but most people realize he is a deal which is not going to have him see the end of it. We need to do something, and adding a good player like Brown gives us the chance to upgrade now, and maybe really fix things for next year.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

From what I have read, the Texans are not interested in trading him, even if he holds out until week 8.

Comment

• Big Dog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Yet.

This is VJ real bad blood stuff now, he ain't going to be happy and they won't be either.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Comment

• Classic
                  Hall Of Fame
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  Braxton Miller and Will Fuller are struggling somewhat in Houston. Send Tyrell who has this year and next year(RFA) to Houston for Duane Brown and extend him for 3 years. Give the rookie QB Watson a huge target. Keep Okung but move him to RT. Get Lamp back at RG next year...

LT - Brown
                  LG - Slausson
                  C - Pulley
                  RG - Lamp
                  RT - Okung

Obviously that could be a risk for this year because Williams may not be durable. Same with Allen. But it certainly upgrades our pass protection. The interior run blocking is the big issue however.
                  Why is Tyrell on the trade block? He's developing into a nice #2 WR for cheap.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Why is Tyrell on the trade block? He's developing into a nice #2 WR for cheap.
                    Hes not. Hes an RFA after this year. Do we get him for one more year or pay him decent money long term? He will most likely get Sanu/Marvin Jones type money. If he plays on his tender we lose him in 2019. Or we can work a trade for a 2nd or even a 3rd if we give him a 2nd round tender. He could be viewed as a #1 or #2 for a team. If you let him walk after 2018 you hope he gets paid so we can get a comp pick. So....

2017 - Duane Brown
                    2018 - Trade him for a 2nd or 3rd
                    2019 - Let him walk for a comp 5.

Im just forward thinking with him. Im perfectly fine just holding onto him for the this year and the next. I dont think we sign him to a new contract though. Im a fan of getting something in return. Only because i see playoff caliber teams every year doing it.

Allen, Wiliams, Inman, Benjamin is still a nice WR group if we added Brown to our OL. I can guarantee you the problem with this team isnt the WR core less Tyrell. Its the OL. And it always has been.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

At this point I would consider trading Allen for a decent OL...

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I'd be surprised if we make any trades, and if we do it won't be a big one.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Well, this may be the week he plays for the first time. It has sucked that he has been hurt and unable to contribute. But, then again, neither have have two players many on here lamented that we didn't take with our top pick in the draft. Neither McCaffery nor Barnett have made much of an impact yet in the regular season. McCaffery and his 2.7 yp/carry has done nothing so far to sway me from my feelings that he will always be more of a receiver/slot and change of pace guy than RB. Barnett has 5 total tackles.

Comment

Working...
                          X