• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Yep it was Kareem different movie...
    "Game of Death" The only scene that Bruce Lee filmed for that movie was the classic pagoda sequence, which was climaxed with Bruce Lee's battle with Kareem at the top of the pagoda. He died before they could film any other sequence for that movie, by all accounts this movie was going to be his masterpiece. However, they fucked it up by completing the movie without Bruce, using stand-ins and in some cases, cardboard cutouts, in place of Bruce. Oh, and they changed the whole storyline too. But that full, uncut sequence is one of the all-time great Kung Fu fights.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

So Ryan Mathews doesn't have a current problem with the law.
      He still has a problem.

And that is this: the idea that he would be busted for involvement in an altercation outside a nightclub would be neither all that surprising nor disappointing.

A report by the web site Examiner.com set the Internet ablaze Monday morning with supposed news that the Chargers' running back had been arrested after an altercation outside a downtown San Diego night club Sunday night.

The police said that Mathews was not arrested. In fact, they said he wasn't even questioned regarding the incident.

Mathews told the U-T's Michael Gehlken that he was out downtown on Sunday but “I didn’t hit anybody. I wasn’t arrested ... I didn’t see a fight. I didn’t see anything.”

First, this world has a problem with the wide web. Instant reaction is often the worst kind of reaction. Worse even, that reaction is often to bogus information.

But this is not a column on society being poorer for having more info. This is the sports page.

Mathews is the Chargers’ starting running back, a former first-round pick upon whom a good portion of the team’s recent shortcomings and immediate prospects for improvement rests.

He’s a good kid with bad luck and seemingly not a whole bunch of common sense.

Thankfully for the Chargers and Mathews, they aren't dealing with another NFL arresting development.
      But let's not get carried away in Mathews' vindication in this particular instance.

Instead, let's hope that this turns out to be the best thing that never happened to Mathews.

It's fairly common knowledge that Mathews is frequently out at places that serve plentiful alcohol and occasionally are host to unsavory behavior, even at times and dates that show questionable judgment. In fact, my first thought after seeing the Examiner report was “Wait, I thought Mathews party preference was Pacific Beach.”

Some are wondering right now why they haven't heard about this before. The answer is that Mathews’ social habits aren't newsworthy on their own. However, his being out at clubs is relevant now.

A 25-year-old should be allowed to go out -- especially on June 30, more than two weeks after the Chargers’ last official practice and more than three weeks before the next one.

But, dammit, Mathews has failed to achieve more than half of what has been expected of him since the Chargers selected him 12th overall in the NFL Draft.

You have to be careful about everything you do -- especially if you’re underperforming at your job. You can't give your employers (or the public) any reason to question your commitment. In today's NFL, running backs are as expendable as newspaper writers.

Mathews should know nothing good happens after midnight (even though this incident evidently happened closer to 8:30 p.m., you get the drift).

There is a reason sayings become cliches. Because they're true.

There's also another cliche about smoke and fire.

Besides his penchant for spending time at places and at times where, while he may not be looking for trouble, other people are, this is the second time Mathews’ name has surfaced and there was an "innocent" explanation.

Remember the late-night car crash last August? It occurred while he was reporting back to the Chargers’ training camp hotel after spending the evening at home with his mom.

On its own, no big deal. But even then, teammates and officials who resolutely believed Mathews’ explanation questioned his judgment.

On those occasions where I was innocent (or there was not enough evidence to pin me to some teenage misdeed), my dad would say, “You might not be guilty, but you're dumb.”

It was therapy that helped me see while he wasn't the most diplomatic man, my dad sure did love me. And there was never questioning his wisdom.

Get the heck out of trouble’s way, kid.

Mathews did not deserve to be the subject of an unfounded report. But at a time when he is in need of a career-saving season, he is instead the subject of more nonsense he isn't entirely immune to.

False though the particular report may be, the questions it raises are the more troubling aspect.
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
        McClain is loved and Hester was despised, although Hester was actually more productive at a lower salary.

Perception is what it is.
        I read the Broncos have been working to get Hester more involved in the offense. We'll see. A soso player that worked jar and turned into a pretty good FB.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

This is going to ruin Mathews. He dosnt have the mental make up to get past this. Wouldn't be surprised to see him just tank this year. I hope he proves me wrong but if there is one player i feel hopeless about its him. He needs to not get caught up in the external BS and just play his game. Worry about what he can control and let go of what he cant. 4.5 yards a run Ryan....just focus on that...one 4.5 yard run at a time.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...?#article-copy

He still has a problem.

And that is this: the idea that he would be busted for involvement in an altercation outside a nightclub would be neither all that surprising nor disappointing.

A report by the web site Examiner.com set the Internet ablaze Monday morning with supposed news that the Chargers' running back had been arrested after an altercation outside a downtown San Diego night club Sunday night.

The police said that Mathews was not arrested. In fact, they said he wasn't even questioned regarding the incident.

Mathews told the U-T's Michael Gehlken that he was out downtown on Sunday but “I didn’t hit anybody. I wasn’t arrested ... I didn’t see a fight. I didn’t see anything.”

First, this world has a problem with the wide web. Instant reaction is often the worst kind of reaction. Worse even, that reaction is often to bogus information.

But this is not a column on society being poorer for having more info. This is the sports page.

Mathews is the Chargers’ starting running back, a former first-round pick upon whom a good portion of the team’s recent shortcomings and immediate prospects for improvement rests.

Thankfully for the Chargers and Mathews, they aren't dealing with another NFL arresting development.
            But let's not get carried away in Mathews' vindication in this particular instance.

Instead, let's hope that this turns out to be the best thing that never happened to Mathews.

It's fairly common knowledge that Mathews is frequently out at places that serve plentiful alcohol and occasionally are host to unsavory behavior, even at times and dates that show questionable judgment. In fact, my first thought after seeing the Examiner report was “Wait, I thought Mathews party preference was Pacific Beach.”

Some are wondering right now why they haven't heard about this before. The answer is that Mathews’ social habits aren't newsworthy on their own. However, his being out at clubs is relevant now.

A 25-year-old should be allowed to go out -- especially on June 30, more than two weeks after the Chargers’ last official practice and more than three weeks before the next one.

But, dammit, Mathews has failed to achieve more than half of what has been expected of him since the Chargers selected him 12th overall in the NFL Draft.

You have to be careful about everything you do -- especially if you’re underperforming at your job. You can't give your employers (or the public) any reason to question your commitment. In today's NFL, running backs are as expendable as newspaper writers.

Mathews should know nothing good happens after midnight (even though this incident evidently happened closer to 8:30 p.m., you get the drift).

Besides his penchant for spending time at places and at times where, while he may not be looking for trouble, other people are, this is the second time Mathews’ name has surfaced and there was an "innocent" explanation.

Remember the late-night car crash last August? It occurred while he was reporting back to the Chargers’ training camp hotel after spending the evening at home with his mom.

On its own, no big deal. But even then, teammates and officials who resolutely believed Mathews’ explanation questioned his judgment.

On those occasions where I was innocent (or there was not enough evidence to pin me to some teenage misdeed), my dad would say, “You might not be guilty, but you're dumb.”

It was therapy that helped me see while he wasn't the most diplomatic man, my dad sure did love me. And there was never questioning his wisdom.

Mathews did not deserve to be the subject of an unfounded report. But at a time when he is in need of a career-saving season, he is instead the subject of more nonsense he isn't entirely immune to.

False though the particular report may be, the questions it raises are the more troubling aspect.
            What a stupid article. Acee just needs to give up already.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...?#article-copy

He still has a problem.

Wow. Lots of info in this "article".
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Again with the 'kid'.

Who else on the team would media call 'kid'?
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Again with the 'kid'.

Who else on the team would media call 'kid'?
                  Um.. Telesco?

McCoy?
                  sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    Um.. Telesco?

McCoy?
                    i haven't seen them called kids but Telesco did call Mathews 'a great kid who works extremely hard'
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Acee and Mathews seem to have a bit in common. Anybody shocked by Acee's reaction?

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Good to hear that. Mathews is crucial for this O to click.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          Acee and Mathews seem to have a bit in common. Anybody shocked by Acee's reaction?
                          Not when he is trying to cover up his own incompetence. Talk about "fumbling" the ball! Mindlessly tweeting out an unverified report from examiner.com. Really Acee? And Mathews needs to be careful about what HE does? What a douche.

Comment

Working...
                          X