• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
    Rivers looked rattled and nervous. This wasn't the Superbowl. Hardly the most pressure situation he would ever have to encounter. So many things went right tonight, but goddamn it man. Its hard to know which direction this team is heading in.
    I thought despite all the pressure AZ sent...he had DECENT time to throw. Yes I know a slow footed QB like him hates pressure up the middle, but it could have been way worse.

Dude is still way too spazzy at times after 10 years in the league.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

They DID adjust to the inside blitz.

The good:
      o CB play is MUCH improved.
      o Chargers can generate a rush with four DL
      o Charger rookies are studs. Verrett, the 2nd round DE. And even the backup LB special teams dude.

The bad:
      o Two missed INTs, missed sacks.
      o Drops by receivers that stopped drives.

The ugly:
      o I was able to call run or pass by how the Chargers lined up on offense.
      o Matthews at FB = run to Matthews.

Overall, loss sucks but the Chargers are a much better team overall than last year. Need to get more consistent.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• RobH
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Tokyo, Japan
        • University English Lecturer
        • Send PM

In general, I like what I saw, especially from the D. If we can play that well at the beginning of the year, I think we'll be even better at the end when guys like Attaochu, Verret, Williams and Flowers all start working together and get more experience. I know the offense stunk it up in a lot of ways, but drops that are normally catches, I'm going to attribute to rustiness. I think that they could have stood to have played a bit more in the preseason than they did, and that may have caused them to get caught with their pants down tonight. The OL did okay considering that's a damn good DL they faced tonight, and I don't think they'll face a whole of them that are better. I think we'll play a better overall game next week. The question is whether it will be enough against a very good Seattle team. And I don't think Seattle is going to own us, either. I think they'll have their work cut out for them.

Comment

• longhorn
          SD NOT LA Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

I was at the game and we just did not put AZ away when we had a chance...In the 3rd Quarter when we played well, the noise level became manageable and we should have been able to execute better...Once AZ got within 6 points the noise level was a huge advantage to AZ and made it even harder for our offense to execute, especially because they are not in mid-season form...That stadium is loud with the roof closed...

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
            They DID adjust to the inside blitz.

The good:
            o CB play is MUCH improved. Check, Check Verrett played good good coverage, Wright played well too outside of the long pass to Floyd, Wright made some nice tackles too

o Chargers can generate a rush with four DL, Check we got pressure for sure it just so happen Palmer was able to escape at key times in the game

o Charger rookies are studs. Verrett, the 2nd round DE. And even the backup LB special teams dude. Check, Check, Check!

The bad:
            o Two missed INTs, missed sacks. Weddle hit the ground hard and dropped it, but Gilchrist hits him in his hand\chest he did this crap last year and yes we wer close on a few and missed in key situations
            o Drops by receivers that stopped drives. Gates had two right in his hands, Royal had two in his hands and stop running his route on the INT. Allen dropped one at the end which got deflect at the line

The ugly:
            o I was able to call run or pass by how the Chargers lined up on offense. Rivers\OC taking too much time to get calls played
            o Matthews at FB = run to Matthews.

Overall, loss sucks but the Chargers are a much better team overall than last year. Need to get more consistent.
            I guess better to get this crap out of our system early, and finish strong. I was surprise we couldn't run better than what we did, if you take away Mathews long gainer for the touchdown, our rushing yards look pathetic and it was bad period. Our D will be improved, but I thought they were on the field too long and wore down a little, Gilchrist also was out of position on a few long passes and that INT drop, I wonder if Addae would of made a difference?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
              I guess better to get this crap out of our system early, and finish strong. I was surprise we couldn't run better than what we did, if you take away Mathews long gainer for the touchdown, our rushing yards look pathetic and it was bad period. Our D will be improved, but I thought they were on the field too long and wore down a little, Gilchrist also was out of position on a few long passes and that INT drop, I wonder if Addae would of made a difference?
              Our RBs rushed 20 times for 43 yards. 20 of those were the TD run by Mathews and another 11 on a run outside. I absolutely hated the predictable 2 runs to Woodhead just before the fumbled snap that netted 2 yards. If you are going to insist on running there, at least use RM as he doesn't seem to get stuffed nearly as much as Woodhead does on runs.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                Compare Reich's playoff coaching
                he never shit the bed in the playoffs...howz that?
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  What were you encouraged by?
                  Defense played really decent, then it unraveled at the end which is going to happen with 3 first and second year starters, then throw in a free agent signing in the secondary (Flowers).

They are still getting to know each other, so I expect it will improve.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                    Agree but still play calling very vanilla
                    Again, our o-line can't protect the QB and Rivers is an immobile QB who gets flustered a lot when under pressure. Even our long passes are off a three step drop, chuck it and hope for the best. I could add that Rivers didn't get enough reps in preseason as well but I think that is because the staff knows that we can't protect him. Our o-line struggles to protect Rivers even when he is asked not to hold the ball very long.

We play small ball and now opposing teams have quite a bit of film on us to watch what we do with specific personnel. Woodchuck was completely ineffective last night. If I were an opposing DC I would stack things up and make the Chargers beat them with the deep ball.

We will see more physical teams than Arizona, starting this week. I do think we have issues with physical teams on both sides of the ball. I am still surprised that the zonies didn't try to run the ball more given our struggles with that in preseason. They are a marginal playoff team, though I tend to think they won't make the playoffs again this year.

Also, I saw on the UT that they said Te'o had his best game of his career. I guess they are just counting tackles (6). I rewatched the game today and could'n't count more than two that were around the LOS, and even those I would have to say that the guys inside did most of the work. On the first zonie TD he was in no man's land, looking at the scenery, while his guy made the catch. You get that guy in traffic and he is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

How did you like Choo chooo and Predictor Smurf?
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Why Predictor smurf?

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                          Defense played really decent, then it unraveled at the end which is going to happen with 3 first and second year starters, then throw in a free agent signing in the secondary (Flowers).

They are still getting to know each other, so I expect it will improve.
                          We held them to 2 of 9 3rd down conversions in the first 3 quarters. They were 4 of 4 in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Working...
                          X