• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I have to vent

I am so sick of these terrible calls going against the Chargers. Game after game, starting with the opener against the Texans. Against the Chiefs, the first call of the game against Wright was terrible. The receiver was out of bounds when he contacted him. Then the crap call on Clary. Then the call on the pass to Avery in the end zone, which I still don't see as interference. The NFL can apologize all they want on Monday, but when does this stop? It is pathetic. That is rant one.

Rant two. I am already sick of hearing about the poor Chiefs and what the loss of Hali and Houston cost them. I guess no other NFL team has injuries? I guess the Chargers, the opponent in this game, had no injuries? I guess they didn't lose Eddie Royal and Ryan Mathews during the game? No one seemed to stumble to the fact that Tutu is what, a 5th or 6th stringer? Hali and Houston went down? How about Ingram, Freeney, English, Johnson all going down? And while we are at it, Dunlap, Alexander, Floyd. Not to mention Teo, Butler, Rheinhart, Wright and all the others I am missing.

Here is what I am talking about, for example, from a KC newspaper:

"Rivers was unflappable, though, against a Chiefs defense missing top pass rushers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston. He took advantage of time in the pocket to shred the Kansas City secondary, and then hit the most unlikely of his wide receivers with the winning pass."

So why not write, Manning was unflappable, against a Chargers defense missing pass rushers Melvin Ingram, Dwight Freeney, Larry English, and Jarret Johnson. He took advantage to shred the SD secondary. But no, those teams all beat the Chargers because they were better.

Rant three. The Broncos were involved in a game last night in which one team had a 24-0 lead going into the second half. And that team ended up losing. I remember that happening last season to the Broncos. And the team they beat was labeled as chokers. Pathetic losers. So I guess that means the Broncos are chokers now too? Apparently not. No one is saying that so far.

Thanks. I feel better now.

TG
    Last edited by Heatmiser; 11-25-2013, 06:28 AM.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

You're right on the money on that last one. Last year's collapse dominated the airwaves as one of the biggest choke jobs ever. This one is spun as an 'instant classic.' And another 'incredible Brady-Manning duel.'

But on the second one, no one cares about injuries except homers and hometown papers. And I do think the loss of Houston and Hali had a material impact on the outcome. Hali is a known Charger killer. And Rivers had zero time and the offense struggled while they were in there. He got a little more time to throw and we started moving the chains when they got hurt. I'm not sure we win if they played the whole game.

That said, I really wish we traded Rivers for Alex Smith, don't you?

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

From PFT:
      Though the Chargers may still indeed upset the Chiefs in Kansas City, a victory would entail overcoming a bad call that wiped out a big gain in the second half.

With the Chargers trailing 21-17 and driving, quarterback Philip Rivers connected with tight end Ladarius Green for a 35-yard gain, down to the Kansas City 22.

But it all came back because Chargers offensive lineman Jeromy Clary, an ineligible receiver, was illegally downfield.

But there was a problem with the call. Clary moved downfield while at all times legally blocking an opponent. Under Rule 8, Section 3, Article 1, Item 1(a), that’s not a penalty.
      Specifically, an ineligible player “is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge . . . he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent.”

As a result, it shouldn’t have been called.

If the Chargers still win, it won’t be quite as glaring. Still, the officials who threw a flag that shouldn’t have been thrown will hear about it.
      sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        From PFT:
        Though the Chargers may still indeed upset the Chiefs in Kansas City, a victory would entail overcoming a bad call that wiped out a big gain in the second half.

With the Chargers trailing 21-17 and driving, quarterback Philip Rivers connected with tight end Ladarius Green for a 35-yard gain, down to the Kansas City 22.

But it all came back because Chargers offensive lineman Jeromy Clary, an ineligible receiver, was illegally downfield.

But there was a problem with the call. Clary moved downfield while at all times legally blocking an opponent. Under Rule 8, Section 3, Article 1, Item 1(a), that’s not a penalty.
        Specifically, an ineligible player “is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge . . . he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent.”

As a result, it shouldn’t have been called.

If the Chargers still win, it won’t be quite as glaring. Still, the officials who threw a flag that shouldn’t have been thrown will hear about it.
        I wonder if it was that 'replacement' ref who threw the flag. Can any of you rewatch-the-game guy tell?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          I am so sick of these terrible calls going against the Chargers. Game after game, starting with the opener against the Texans. Against the Chiefs, the first call of the game against Wright was terrible. The receiver was out of bounds when he contacted him. Then the crap call on Clary. Then the call on the pass to Avery in the end zone, which I still don't see as interference. The NFL can apologize all they want on Monday, but when does this stop? It is pathetic. That is rant one.

Rant two. I am already sick of hearing about the poor Chiefs and what the loss of Hali and Houston cost them. I guess no other NFL team has injuries? I guess the Chargers, the opponent in this game, had no injuries? I guess they didn't lose Eddie Royal and Ryan Mathews during the game? No one seemed to stumble to the fact that Tutu is what, a 5th or 6th stringer? Hali and Houston went down? How about Ingram, Freeney, English, Johnson all going down? And while we are at it, Dunlap, Alexander, Floyd. Not to mention Teo, Butler, Rheinhart, Wright and all the others I am missing.

Here is what I am talking about, for example, from a KC newspaper:

"Rivers was unflappable, though, against a Chiefs defense missing top pass rushers Tamba Hali and Justin Houston. He took advantage of time in the pocket to shred the Kansas City secondary, and then hit the most unlikely of his wide receivers with the winning pass."

So why not write, Manning was unflappable, against a Chargers defense missing pass rushers Melvin Ingram, Dwight Freeney, Larry English, and Jarret Johnson. He took advantage to shred the SD secondary. But no, those teams all beat the Chargers because they were better.

Rant three. The Broncos were involved in a game last night in which one team had a 24-0 lead going into the second half. And that team ended up losing. I remember that happening last season to the Broncos. And the team they beat was labeled as chokers. Pathetic losers. So I guess that means the Broncos are chokers now too? Apparently not. No one is saying that so far.

Thanks. I feel better now.

TG
          I agree with all this. And in addition...did you know the Cheifs were missing 2 offensive linemen yesterday? Because Nantz and Simms only brought it up every time they moved the ball.

But they barely (once or twice) mentioned how every Chargers offensive lineman was playing out of position (except Hardwick)...(well, Troutman too...but he WAS a backup). The top OLT is out, and the backup "swing" OT is on injured reserve.

And the officiating in this game was borderline criminal. I wasn't that upset about the PI penalties on the chargers until I watched the broncos and patriots game in the 2nd half... lots of contact on some of those passes...NOT PI. That was fricking ridiculous...and the only PI called on the Chiefs was Berry on Gates on that last drive? Think that was the first time Berry held him? Remember playing them last year...he got called like 3 times in the first half. If you can break down the game film(I know some of you lunatics do that)..I would bet alot of money that Berry holds Gates ALOT.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            I wonder if it was that 'replacement' ref who threw the flag. Can any of you rewatch-the-game guy tell?
            The 'replacement' ref happens to be a regular ref on the best officiating crew in the NFL, fwiw.
            Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
              The 'replacement' ref happens to be a regular ref on the best officiating crew in the NFL, fwiw.
              Ah, didn't know that. Thanks. Never mind, then. I thought he was just some sort of 'floater' who was used in case of injury, illness, emergency. How did they manage to pry him away from 'the best officiating crew in the NFL', I wonder?

Comment

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks. Never mind, then. I thought he was just some sort of 'floater' who was used in case of injury, illness, emergency. How did they manage to pry him away from 'the best officiating crew in the NFL', I wonder?
                The guy who was supposed to be working his spot had gotten suspended for the game by the NFL.

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Send PM

Think about it... If teams have bye weeks, they can't possibly use all their officiating crews, so crews have bye weeks, too.
                  Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    Think about it... If teams have bye weeks, they can't possibly use all their officiating crews, so crews have bye weeks, too.
                    True that. Your biggest mistake was asking me to 'think', however. I don't do that very often. Just react.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Chiefs fans were happy Eric Fisher wasn't playing. One even posted that he wondered if the Bolts would trade them either Dunlap or Allen for Fisher.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        Chiefs fans were happy Eric Fisher wasn't playing. One even posted that he wondered if the Bolts would trade them either Dunlap or Allen for Fisher.
                        If the Chiefs were stupid enough to do it, I would trade them Dunlap for Fisher in a heartbeat! Unfortunately for us, Chiefs management is not stupid.
                        Adipose

Comment

Working...
                        X