• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

As for the 'plaque' mention, there are some who think that the guys who are currently being held out due to the steriod connection should get in, but with that notation as well. I'm not a Barry Bonds fan, but you have to think that he, Clemons, and Alex Rodriguez should get in, eventually, but putting a notation on the plaque won't erase anything of what people think of them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      As for the 'plaque' mention, there are some who think that the guys who are currently being held out due to the steriod connection should get in, but with that notation as well. I'm not a Barry Bonds fan, but you have to think that he, Clemons, and Alex Rodriguez should get in, eventually, but putting a notation on the plaque won't erase anything of what people think of them.
      I think the circumstances are quite different. Rose didnt use steroids. He wasnt close to a home run hitter in his career so it isnt even close IMO to being the same thing. Those guys you are talking about have the numbers they have because of the steroids. I dont think there needs to be anything on Rose's plaque. Totally different situation.

Barry Bonds probably would have got in had he never used steroids. He just wanted the spotlight of being a big HR hitter and that may cost him. This is why i think Bud Selig ruined the game. He shouldnt be in the HOF either for what he let baseball do. He was a horrible commishtioner imo. That POS needs his plaque altered.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-21-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Those guys you are talking about have the numbers they have because of the steroids.
        Probably, but all three didn't need them to be outstanding players, their skill beyond strength is pretty obvious. On the other hand Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa and Ken Caminiti would only be average players. The whole era is tainted. I agree about Selig, he and the owners tacitly condoned steriods, but the game was dying. MLB lost me after the strike, I only have been a casual observer since, but the Sosa-McGuire battle was kind of fun to watch at the time. But the point is that we pretty much know numbers can't be trusted from that era. I don't know if those three will get in, but I think they probably will, as well as Rose, but plaque notations are superfluous.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

They don't need to mention anything on his plaque. His betting was after his playing career and he should be in the HOF even if they still want him banned.
          I would not be unhappy if this is how it turned out either, I agree he needs to be in the Hall for his playing accomplishments, which by all accounts were clean from gambling.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Probably, but all three didn't need them to be outstanding players, their skill beyond strength is pretty obvious. On the other hand Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa and Ken Caminiti would only be average players. The whole era is tainted. I agree about Selig, he and the owners tacitly condoned steriods, but the game was dying. MLB lost me after the strike, I only have been a casual observer since, but the Sosa-McGuire battle was kind of fun to watch at the time. But the point is that we pretty much know numbers can't be trusted from that era. I don't know if those three will get in, but I think they probably will, as well as Rose, but plaque notations are superfluous.
            Sosa never hot more than 15 HRs wit the White Sox then got traded to the Cubs in his 7th season and had a wind blowing out Wrigley to hit over 30 the first time then back down to 25. Has two more years of decent HR production of 35, 40 while probably on Roids then two a year later he is hitting over 60 HRs three of the next four season with a 50 sprinkled in so i doubt he comes close to HOF numbers without steroids. Bonds was envious of that Sosa McGuire battle and why he started taking Roids. And lets not forget about Brady Anderson who was a teens HR hitter til he hit 50 while on Roids lol.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Sosa never hot more than 15 HRs wit the White Sox then got traded to the Cubs in his 7th season and had a wind blowing out Wrigley to hit over 30 the first time then back down to 25. Has two more years of decent HR production of 35, 40 while probably on Roids then two a year later he is hitting over 60 HRs three of the next four season with a 50 sprinkled in so i doubt he comes close to HOF numbers without steroids. Bonds was envious of that Sosa McGuire battle and why he started taking Roids. And lets not forget about Brady Anderson who was a teens HR hitter til he hit 50 while on Roids lol.
              How about Luis Gonzales who hit 57 in Arizona's championship year?

I wonder if HoJo juiced during his heyday with the Mets, he went from a banjo hitter to contending for HR titles overnight. I always presumed he had a corked bat or something like that.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Rose belongs in. McGwire usually had a lousy average, but would have hit a bunch of HRs anyway because of that swing. Maybe he would have been Rob Deer without the HGH/Andro/whatever or if he hadn't been injured all the time. But he was also a pretty good fielder for being a big dude. I think Bonds and Clemens would have been great without it, but I guess we'll never know.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by obvious_idiot_bolt View Post
                  Rose belongs in. McGwire usually had a lousy average, but would have hit a bunch of HRs anyway because of that swing. Maybe he would have been Rob Deer without the HGH/Andro/whatever or if he hadn't been injured all the time. But he was also a pretty good fielder for being a big dude. I think Bonds and Clemens would have been great without it, but I guess we'll never know.
                  Bonds and Clemens were both going in before the steroids, that was a miscalculation on their part, I'm not sure about McGwire because he was pretty injury prone before he started juicing. To McGwire's credit, he did retire once he realized the tide was starting to heavily turn against him, he wasn't too far off of 600 but he quit while he was ahead.

Comment

Working...
                  X