• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I Feel Like The Window Is Open

For a long stretch of winning seasons. Not necessarily even referring to this season. But all our division opponents have major issues. Im not sure what our QB situation is but i know it will be Rivers if he decides to keep playing. I think he can probably see what we see in our divisional opponents and that the window of opportunity would seem to be there. Its there now and this team had enough young players that can probably keep us on top of the division for a while. The QB exchange will be really important. I look at regressing Raiders and Broncos teams.....a Chiefs unit that looks to be figured out with their gimmick offense. Mahomes may need time. Hunt is hitting a wall.

I just feel like our future is pretty bright. And lets say Rivers retired after this year. Just a hypothetical. Would you spend the money on Kirk Cousins?

I only bring that up because i think the QB exchange during this window i see will be a big challenge.
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

If Rivers wants it, he'll stick around. This season has been trying and transitional in so many ways, great to see the team - finally! - respond and win games. The players "walking on eggshells" after the Jax debacle seem to be the turning point, hope it, whatever the It is, lasts.

As for Cousins (or a like type QB), I guess it would depend if we get the running game fixed up a lot, with anybody not names Rivers there's gonna be a huge drop in effectiveness IMO (yeah, he ain't done yet, sorry Phil) and having a starting RB who can make the most of what he's given would help loads. But agree, there's a window and it's getting bigger every week.

Anybody else get the feeling, the division is gonna come down to the last game?
    Last edited by blueman; 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I'd be shocked if Rivers retires after this season, especially with the way the team is starting to come together. He has said before he wouldn't mind playing until the new stadium opens and I don't think he feels the commute is nearly as big of an issue as has been speculated about here. He has only had one year since 2010 when he had a higher QB rating than he does this year. Injuries always factor in, of course - especially for older players.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

With the constant pledge protests we may be in the best stadium for the NFL for a while to come...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

So it almost looks like Brees is being carried by this monster rush attack the Saints have. Why not give Rivers the same options and bring in a stud RB along with Gordon? Fix the run blocking. Have 2 stud RBs with our Sproles/Ekeler role in tact and let Rivers play smart efficient football with teams really putting emphasis on stopping the run game.

Comment

• blueman
            blueman commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely! On O best OL available or RB would be awesome for the draft. Then best D guys available. Hell if TT wanted to go two RBs and 2 OL in the first 5 rounds, okay. Or a vet RB if one looks good...we have some dead weight to get rid of.

• Fleet
            Fleet commented
            Editing a comment
            Ive always felt you can get a stud #2 RB in the middle rounds. So its what i wouldnt mind doing. They are cheap and you get good value. A lot of players we take in the mid rounds dont stick around. Id at least draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and see if he has what it takes to replace Rivers when hes done. At least you get a #2 long term if you think hes not quite a franchise QB. I loved Kamara. But i really didnt expect this based on his limited college career.

• Panamamike
            Panamamike commented
            Editing a comment
            Nick Chubb should be around in the mid rounds. The knee history is troublesome, but he runs hard, is fast, and has great hands. He also gets better the farther in the past his injury is. I think he will be an excellent pro back.
        • Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          If Rivers wants it, he'll stick around. This season has been trying and transitional in so many ways, great to see the team - finally! - respond and win games. The players "walking on eggshells" after the Jax debacle seem to be the turning point, hope it, whatever the It is, lasts.

As for Cousins (or a like type QB), I guess it would depend if we get the running game fixed up a lot, with anybody not names Rivers there's gonna be a huge drop in effectiveness IMO (yeah, he ain't done yet, sorry Phil) and having a starting RB who can make the most of what he's given would help loads. But agree, there's a window and it's getting bigger every week.

Anybody else get the feeling, the division is gonna come down to the last game?
          Cousins is very familiar with a bad rush attack.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            I'd be shocked if Rivers retires after this season, especially with the way the team is starting to come together. He has said before he wouldn't mind playing until the new stadium opens and I don't think he feels the commute is nearly as big of an issue as has been speculated about here. He has only had one year since 2010 when he had a higher QB rating than he does this year. Injuries always factor in, of course - especially for older players.
            Well he would be smart to stick around. Because like i said i like the window right now. Get the run game fixed. At some pieces on D. I think we are similar to the Jags. Only with a major offense.

Comment

• Charged4Life
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Get more explosive at running back. Someone like Ekeler but bigger would be cool. And say good-bye to Gordon. If Gordon turns it on these final five games maybe I rethink that. But I would love a more physical and faster backfield. They don't have to be great. Just give me more physical and faster.

And Kirk Cousins would be a great get. That would be incredible.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Send PM

I would also like to add better tacklers to the defense. Safety and inside linebacker depth could be improved towards that end.

Comment

• Attack
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2017
                  • Send PM

I get the feeling that as long as Rivers is the QB, he will be a big proponent of having Clemens as the backup, as they are traveling/commuting partners. I don't know how much having Clemens on the team benefits Rivers, if at all, but wonder if the team would agree with a plea from Rivers to keep Clemens and dismiss Cardale if a draft pick was used on a QB who was better than Cardale.

As mentioned before, I am big on drafting Defense early. We are close to being a dominating defense, and if we can add a couple of pieces in the draft and/or free agency, and use our cap wisely, whether that is letting Liuget go or restructuring, and the same with Verrett, we wouldn't need to score a lot of points.

I am also big on improving the run game, especially for games played in bad/cold weather. We may only need to add one (or two?) more O-lineman for the long term success of this group, and it will take a few years of them playing together to get really good. If only Watt and/or Fluker had worked out, the line would be solid and young.

I'd like to add a RB who can also be our KR/PR and be a threat to take it the distance. Rashaad Penny could be that player who could fill both roles.

I wonder if Gordon would be on the trading block for someone that Lynn really likes, perhaps LeSean McCoy?

If we win out, we finish at 10-6, and with a win in the playoffs, we could be looking at drafting #25 at the earliest in the 1st round. The top rated C would likely be in play there (Price from Ohio St). Okung-Feeney-Price-Wiggins-Lamp as OL.

We should be getting a decent amount of dead cap space back after this season too, which will allow us to add a nice player.

I love talking Chargers football. This site rocks. Thanks, Fleet!

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Panamamike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    U absolutely do not trade for Shady. Wrong age and workload history.

• bonehead
                    bonehead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotta be a Dalvin Cook, Kamara or Kareem Hunt in next years Draft

• Attack
                    Attack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not in a straight up trade of Gordon for McCoy. No way.
                • Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  For a long stretch of winning seasons. Not necessarily even referring to this season. But all our division opponents have major issues. Im not sure what our QB situation is but i know it will be Rivers if he decides to keep playing. I think he can probably see what we see in our divisional opponents and that the window of opportunity would seem to be there. Its there now and this team had enough young players that can probably keep us on top of the division for a while. The QB exchange will be really important. I look at regressing Raiders and Broncos teams.....a Chiefs unit that looks to be figured out with their gimmick offense. Mahomes may need time. Hunt is hitting a wall.

I just feel like our future is pretty bright. And lets say Rivers retired after this year. Just a hypothetical. Would you spend the money on Kirk Cousins?

I only bring that up because i think the QB exchange during this window i see will be a big challenge.
                  I don't care if we all get pneumonia, do not close that window!!! The ocean breeze is nice and you guys made it stink up in here!
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yeah, I'd rather pay up than try to draft if this team has no shot at a high 1st round prospect (without a costly trade-up)... him or maybe T.Taylor, if Rivers retired right after this season.

Short term, there could be other vets out there too with some of the teams currently in the basement, plus maybe even Brees and Bradford?
                    But, I wonder if Luck's going to be back in Indy.
                    They're on track for last place and a top 5 pick, and if Irsay really thinks Luck's problem is in his head, will they gamble on dumping him if they can get another franchise QB right away?

Comment

Working...
                    X