• Show
Clear All
  • LAChargersSafeHaven
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Why I Am Enjoying The Charger's 2017 Season

USATSI_10432958.jpg

Hello Charger fans! It's time for another L.A. Chargers Safe Haven blog series post, sponsored by our friends here at The Powder Blues! Please visit www.LAChargersSafeHaven.com to view additional articles, and content.

I didn't. get to watch the game live last week. Not by choice, but because my career dictated my time last weekend. Truthfully, it was probably a blessing. I only had to hear, read, and watch how the team came out flat, instead of witnessing it first hand.

But, the Chargers had already reached my expectations for the season before heading to Arrowhead. 7-9 or 8-8 was where I predicted the team would finish out. They have reached the 7 win mark, and might even finish 8-8 or 9-7. Playoffs or not, it's all gravy for me now.

I had high hopes for the game in KC, but knew it would be a big challenge to pull off the win. Especially, against a team that most predicted would easily take the division, before the season ever started. It wasn't a close game, but when I got a chance to finally look at the results... I wasn't mad. I pretty much expected to see what I saw. The highlights weren't even as bad as I expected (from what was being said). The injuries were the hardest part to watch, for me.

The Chargers, somehow, managed to pull off 7 out of 9 wins before last weekend... losing only to the Patriots and the Jaguars by thin margins. Both are playoff teams. That, in itself, shows growth that was unimaginable to most people in week 5

To think they started the season 0-4, huh?

Sure, they beat up on a some bad teams along the way... I get it. But, that's football. Every team catches breaks from week to week. The Chargers caught their breaks, just like every other team.

There is still a lot to be hopeful about, as the Chargers look like they are having fun! So do the fans (Finally), in my opinion. That's light years away from the last 2 seasons.

They have 4 players on their way to the pro bowl, and could probably have had 6, to be fair. If you look at the way Melvin Ingram and Trevor Williams have played, you can make the argument that they are, at least, on the immediate fringe. That's pretty cool.

We finally have an elite pass rush, and secondary. Something we have not seen in YEARS! We also have a true #1 wide receiver, a #2 waiting in the wings, and a very decent #3. A future HOF TE, and another that is a HOF lock. If the Chargers manage to win out, and back into the postseason.. watch out. If they don't, it was a fun ride, anyway. I don't care what people say. Ill take this over the last two years, or the Norv days. I really like Lynn and Bradley way better, personally.

I don't mean for this article to sound like a concession speech. Far from it, actually. I believe they can still win out.

It's just that I only wanted to see improvement this year. I grew up in SD, was devastated when they left, and am just as big of a fan, now that they are in L.A. I am a proud Charger fan. Have been for almost 37 years. That ain't changing anytime soon.

But, with the move, the roster changes, the new coaching staff, the new defensive scheme, the new stadium... And whatever else you want to pile on top of that.. I am amazed that they are still in the hunt, and improving upon last year! Good times.

These next two weeks might be the most enjoyable two weeks of football for me, this season... win or lose. Simply because I am already content with what I have seen.

Not saying that this team is fine as it is. Or, that there aren't big holes to be filled in the off-season. Or, that mistakes weren't made...because, there were a LOT of mistakes made. This team is probably not a Superbowl contender today.

But, the fact that they actually might have a slim chance at the playoffs.. And could potentially make ANY kind of noise if they reach that goal... keeps me saying "probably".

For every piece of skepticism in my bones, there is also a piece of me that knows the Chargers are only a missed "chip shot" kick away from the playoffs, like in 2013. The spirit of Jr. Seau may shine his light on us before the season is over. It already has, if you ask me.

Let me finish with some thoughts... Or, should I say... wishes.

1) I really want to see Antonio Gates have a great two-game stretch to finish out the season.

2) I want to see Melvin Gordon dominate the rest of the year.

3) I want to see that the linebackers got better from watching Perryman's aggressiveness, and leadership.

4) I want to see Keenan, Benjamin, Tyrell, and M. Williams pull together as a receiving juggernaut.

5) I want to see whatever backups that are coming into the game play with fresh legs, and embrace the opportunity of the snaps they are given.

6) I want to see a team without quit in them, no matter what the chances are.

7) I want to see Rivers continue where he left off, before the Arrowhead game.

8) I want to see the defense come together, and continue to be a fearsome unit... Holding teams to less than 20 points, per usual.

9) I want 9 wins.... And, for the coaching staff to draw the potential out of these young players, and veterans, to reach that goal... No matter what happens.

Keep Bolting Toward Excellence... And have a very Merry Christmas. Let's kick some Jets ASS this week!

Pete
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LAChargersSafeHaven; 12-23-2017, 03:37 AM.
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

Now for a bit of pessimism. Last week was embarrassing for a team with playoff hopes, not losing the game but the way in which they came out in the second half. Mistakes followed by mistakes. Rivers has to set the example, as great is he is he needs to get rid of that attitude that the game got away so turnovers in desperation time are ok. Ekeler, message to you, the strongest pound for pound player on the team does not fumble the fracking ball. Also, learn how to down a ball on special teams. It is no secret, take care of the ball and win the game.

As bad as the game was, one guy deserves a game ball. Melvin Gordon came out ready to play and showed the asset he is on this team.

Anthony Lynn, you did not get your team ready! They came in to happy about themselves for getting there only to waste the opportunity. That being said, you have shown potential as a coach. You need to practice what you preach and hold your players accountable for not showing up. They have the potential but need to work to get where they clearly aren't, YET..

Going in to next year I have players that although good and some close to great show that they still have room to improve. If they can do that we are a playoff team.

Melvin Gordon 70%, you showed last weekend what you can be every week. Give us that hidden 30% all the time.
      Keenan Allen 90%, you are so close but watching you everyone can see that superstar peeking out. Ten more percent is in you.
      Hunter Henry 50%, you are just scratching the surface and teasing us.
      Jason Verrett Incomplete, prove this board wrong and come back with a vengeance. KA already showed you its possible.
      Joey Bosa 95%, all you need is longevity and veteran savvy, don't let up. Don't worry about stats, we that watch see your impact every week.
      Offensive Line 60%, that may seem low but is a big jump from last year. Continue to grind and work. Get to 80% and this offense is scary good.
      Special teams 25%, another failing grade. If it is possible just to get to average the Chargers add another 1-2 wins which is huge.

Comment

• LAChargersSafeHaven
        LAChargersSafeHaven commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair analysis, and good points. I will say this about Lynn. He owned that the he and the coaches were at fault for not having the team prepared for that game. I'm not sure McCoy ever did that. So, there's hope still.

• Budsman
        Budsman commented
        Editing a comment
        Meh, the pats lost to the dolphins recently and they are considered super howl contenders and the dolphins are bad. Division games are tough.

Lynn owned it and the team will move on. I don’t think his one game defines the Chargers.

More than the loss it was the cheap shot by the chiefs nt that pisses me off. Why didn’t Lynn have one of the players retaliate later in the game and make sure that nose tackles knees don’t work the same for the rest the season. And I’m sure we could deal with the 15 yard penalty same as them. F’ers.
    • Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Every team has a stinker month now and then.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
      X