• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

5 things the chargers must fix during the offseason

#5 Find a reliable kicker. This one pisses me off because we shouldn't be in this situation if Telesco wouldn't have released Josh Lambo in the first place.
    #4 Gotta fix the Oline. Especially for the run game
    #3 Find a rb to mesh with Gordon. Aside from Gordon this team really has no other option to go to at rb. Oliver was a huge letdown this season, Ekler had his moments but he is more of a receiving back. Im kinda hoping Royce Freeman falls to them in the second round. In fact I would go as far as to say if that did happen Royce would give Gordon a run for his money.
    #2 This one was hard to decide whether I should put at number one or have at number 2 but I would say fix the mental mistakes in the games or the 4th quarter meltdowns this team had during the first 4 games. Yes every one of those first 4 games mental mistakes cost us those games. I will give credit where credit is due, The chargers imo was probably the 3rd best team after the 4 losses and getting us a chance to make the playoffs. And who was the last 0-4 team to make the playoffs? The Sandiego Chargers that's who. But the fact is none of us would be saying gee I hope the Jaguars can beat the Titans so we can get into the playoffs if not for those first four games and the mental mistakes and the 4th quarter meltdowns.
    #1 We have to fix the interior of the defensive line. I cannot ever remember the chargers run defense being this bad. Imagine what how good this defense could be with just one simple draft pick getting a defensive tackle who can actually penetrate the offensive line. If that happens I gaurentee you we become the best defensive team in the NFL.
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Comment

• chris9341
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Well we wouldn't need to talk about week 17 playoff implications if not for reason number 2 in my original post. Even if we are fortunate to make the playoffs it's never a bad thing to talk about what needs to be fixed on this team.

Comment

• Jagged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Omaha, Nebraska
        • Send PM

Comment

• Boltster
          Boltster commented
          Editing a comment
          There hasn't been one thing reported that had Telesco or little Spanos being responsible for the cutting of Lambo. It could of been them. Or it could have been Lynn and Stewart thinking Koo would be better. For all we know, this could go back to the Raider game last year where Lambo was smiling it up after a close loss. It was bad enough that McCoy had to talk to him about it. Who knows how him being cut was done.

• Jagged
          Jagged commented
          Editing a comment
          If it had happened during the season, I could see that train of thought. It didn’t, it happened at the end of training camp/ pre-season. If Tolesco wanted Lambo cut I would assume he would have brought in better competition than Koo.
      • Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Lambo is not all that great. He may be the best of some bad options, but it was hardly a slam dunk. He did lose the job in TC.

As far as the run D, it goes deeper than just the interior DL. I am not against rebuilding the DT spots (NT and UT) but the LB and secondary have their share of blame to bear as well. Tackling was a HUGE, HUGE issue this year. Even after we started winning, and then against KC, the tackling was dreadful. You make yourself a vastly worse D when someone gets extra yards after you make first contact. I don't know what the stats are like, but when the Chargers tackle well, we generally win.

Tackling is especially important with pass rushers like Bosa and Ingram (and Davis). We have invested a lot in them, and it makes it a lot harder for them to be in a position to make plays in terms of situational D if the other team can just run the ball and generate big plays off of our missed tackles.

As far as the RB situation goes, we need help. Not a complete rebuild, but the right player would make the RB situation a lot better. I love Oliver, but he suffered a gruesome injury, has not shown anything except on ST (coverage) and is near the age that RB disappear. If the coaches love him, bring him back to compete for a job, but you have to bring in someone to compete against him. Ekeler has a lot of fans, but he is far from a finished product. his pass protection mistakes vs KC really hurt, and his fumbles are worrisome. Again, it costs us nothing to bring him back, and you can see the upside, but he has a lot of work to do over the offseason. Gordon is a fine featured-RB if he would stop going down so easily from any hit from the site or behind. He misses a lot of cuts, but I think that is mostly just a confidence thing. We have to get the holes open and then he should find his rhythm. But he has to do his job, because he does kill drives with some of his mistakes. He is turning into a good middle down option who can run and catch. I kind of hope we go for a ST type of bigger back who can be a change of pace, finish the game type of runner, who can get some yards after contact. Unfortunately, those type of backs usually struggle behind poor OL.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

just read an article yesterday over on UT site that Oliver is only NOW fully healthy. He apparently fully recovered from the Achilles tear, but then pulled a hammy early that dogged him all season up until now. Sounded like Lynn really wanted to see if he could return to form from 2 years ago when he had some 100 yd games.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• vinabolt
            Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
            • Feb 2015
            • Send PM

Yeah I'd give Oliver one more season to prove that he can stay healthy and contribute and spell Gordon a bit. One thing about him is that he works hard and run hard, run with power and really decisive, and he doesn't fumble. On the other hand, he can't catch and the least flexible guy on the team, so when he's in there the defense won't have to account for him. And sometimes he just too impatient closing his eyes and plunge into the wall.

Oliver give us good diverse with Gordon and Ekeler. He's a powerful goal line short distance guy. Ekeler more of a passing down guy. Gordon is an all-around guy.

Oliver running style is the opposite of Gordon. Gordon sometimes too patient in waiting and finding hole to run.

Also, Lambo wasn't a reliable kicker. He was being complacement and only got his act together after getting axed by Lynn. Lynn didn't like how he works, plays, acts in camps. Basically he made no progress of improvement in the offseason and was lazy in camps. As a newbie head coach, Lynn wanted to make his marks.
            Last edited by vinabolt; 12-29-2017, 08:29 AM.
            Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Oliver is just a guy. Even when healthy, which is a big issue for him, he is just too small and slow. He had a couple of decent games here, but I just see no upside to him. We have to bring in a couple of more guys and let Ekeler and Oliver fight for the last spot. I think it is very important to add quality depth at RB because Gordon has not lived up to where he was taken and is nothing special himself.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Get some linebackers
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Chargers have LB. They need LBs who fit the Gus Bradley defense. There is nothing wrong with Toomer or Brown in general.

Chargers need: ST coach, OT, LB that fit Bradley (see above), retain key coaches -- Bradley, Giff, Milus, RB, developmental QB, safety.

I think with the right coach, kicker solves itself. Still not sold on Boston/Addae, and Boston may move on. I met a Charger scout by happenstance. He told me King was drafted to be a FS, but things have worked out differently. Perhaps next year, depending on Varrett situation, we see King at FS. Also he told me Josh Lambo was a real lockerroom problem and it was not just the laughing with SeaBass after missing a key kick. That is why he is not on the team. Koo lost it after he missed the Bronco game kick (block) and never recovered.

Players gone -- Attachou, Gates (time to retire, great player), Slausson. Players likely to be poached -- Boston, McCain, Tyrell Williams.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CTrout
                    CTrout commented
                    Editing a comment
                    McCain & Williams are RFAs so I doubt they go anywhere.
                • Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

No way do I ever change a quality CB/nickle into a safety.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Add toughness. Fix teams. Add LBs. Add Depth on OL/DL.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                    X