Just How close or how far are the chargers from being serious superbowl contenders.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

One thing I don't agree with Lynn on his conference is that he said we need a kicker that can be here for many years, implying that he wants a young guy, preferly from the draft.

Lambo, Koo, Coons, Rose, all young guys, how that's work out? We were screw this season because we keep hoping for a long term young guy. Why not just find a reliable veterans who can make accurate kicks, for a season?

Kickers and punters are not regular players, they're not on the field that much, they're not even play that much, so they don't tackles and take hits as much. So they can overcome age issue better than other units.

Also, Ks and Ps are not scheme-dependent players. For regular players, yeah of course you want them here for many years, because you don't want them to keep unlearn & learn different systems & playbooks every year. Ks and Ps are not, there are somewhat different preference depend on the special team staff but they mostly just kick and punt the ball.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 01-08-2018, 10:16 AM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
      One thing I don't agree with Lynn on his conference is that he said we need a kicker that can be here for many years, implying that he wants a young guy, preferly from the draft.

Lambo, Koo, Coons, Rose, all young guys, how that's work out? We were screw this season because we keep hoping for a long term young guy. Why not just find a reliable veterans who can make accurate kicks, for a season?

Kickers and punters are not regular players, they're not on the field that much, they're not even play that much, so they don't tackles and take hits as much. So they can overcome age issue better than other units.

Also, Ks and Ps are not scheme-dependent players. For regular players, yeah of course you want them here for many years, because you don't want them to keep unlearn & learn different systems & playbooks every year. Ks and Ps are not, there are somewhat different preference depend on the special team staff but they mostly just kick and punt the ball.
      I remember seeing Scifres, and the Aussie before him take over games and contribute heavily to some wins. Ray Guy and Janikowski helped the Raiders tremendously over their long careers. Remember how hard it was to find a reliable long snapper before the Chargers settled on Windt? I think you may be underestimating the importance of having a stable, cohesive kicking unit that works together for many years.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

To answer the thread title... we're close.

A reliable kicker would be good. They don't need a Hall of Fame guy, just someone who is average, and they'd have been in the playoffs this year.

I think the answer lies in Depth. We just need good depth at LB, Oline, and Dline. The guys we have are mostly fine, but we can definitely improve, particularly in tackling.
        (I think tackling was the biggest issue this year, especially early... and the reason the run defense suffered. The games where they looked really good, they tackled well)

So yeah, we can upgrade some LB spots, and we can upgrade some D-line spots, and the interior of the O-line has to play better... and/or Right Tackle.

But this team is close.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

The future is now.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

A reliable kicker would be good. They don't need a Hall of Fame guy, just someone who is average, and they'd have been in the playoffs this year.

I think the answer lies in Depth. We just need good depth at LB, Oline, and Dline. The guys we have are mostly fine, but we can definitely improve, particularly in tackling.
            (I think tackling was the biggest issue this year, especially early... and the reason the run defense suffered. The games where they looked really good, they tackled well)

So yeah, we can upgrade some LB spots, and we can upgrade some D-line spots, and the interior of the O-line has to play better... and/or Right Tackle.

But this team is close.
            Agree. I dont see what they see in Pullard but i guess they like Perryman at OLB more for some reason so if thats the case we need to draft Roquan Smith. Pullard and Toomer can be upgraded. And still say had they kept Lambo we are in the playofs. I didnt see a clear possition win by Koo in preseason but i wasnt at any practices.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post

But this team is close.
              I would love to agree. But for once the Chargers werent ending the season decimated and they still didnt make the postseason.

So I'm on the fence. If the coaches stay intact and the team can be relatively healthy, they have a shot.
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Charged4Life
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Send PM

What impressed me more than anything about this team was how we rebounded - with some significant players either out or playing hurt - and won our last two games after the loss in KC. That was very encouraging to me. I think they built some real confidence. And I can't wait for next season. Here's to hoping Telesco is watching that Saints team and adds another good RB and maybe Center if that's what is needed.to make us a dual offensive threat.

Comment

• King Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  Generous Donor
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Focusing on the word "serious" then we are not close at all. Make all the personnel adjustments you want. Until a set group of players and coaches play together long enough to coalesce into a high functioning team able to do all the little things well and avoid silly mistakes then we are simply not at the level I'd rate serious. Until that group gets honed by the fires of playoff experience then a deep run is not likely. We are a fringe contender until we repeatedly show we are good. Year after year proven performance (might as well throw GM and ownership in the group as well) is what I need to see to take us from merely hopeful to actually serious.
                  Last edited by King Bolt; 01-10-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I think we are much closer than some might suspect. While there are still holes on the roster, they aren't as glaring as year's past. We still have a penchant for losing too many close games, but difference between winning and losing those is at times making 2 or 3 more plays in a game. It's not like we are devoid of talent and losing games 34-10 each week. Hell, if we fixed the ST alone, that could be the difference between 9-7 and 12-4.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Hell, if we fixed September alone, that would be 2-3 more wins.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Classic
                        Hall Of Fame
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

We aren't as close as we were in 2009 but not too far behind. I question this coaching staffs ablity to take this team to a Super Bowl. It'll take our defense cranking out 2015 Broncos type of effort for me to seriously think we're a SB threat for the NFC Powerhouses and the Steelers and Patriots in the AFC.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Those powerhouses look pretty vulnerable lately. Still winning, but starting to slide.

Comment

Working...
                          X