• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knucklebear
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Sack By Confusion

Interesting article on Football outsiders about sacks and how they're caused. They sorted each sack into one of three catagories based on the cause.

Blown Blocks - Blocker beaten by defender
    Confusion - Problem determining who should block a defender
    Coverage - QB held the ball until protection broke down

Interestingly enough, the Chargers have given up no confusion sacks (the only other team to accomplish that was Denver). I'm impressed with the job the coaching staff has done with the blocking scheme and the job that the players have done in executing it. I'd love to see last years numbers to compare.

(full breakdown of every team can be found in the article)
    Code:
    Offense	Blown	    Confusion	Coverage	Total
            Block			
    SD	 18	      0	         4	        22
    Last edited by Knucklebear; 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM.
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

These stats confuse me....

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

...but I enjoy the coverage they're being given.
      Adipose

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

So, we havent allowed sacks where we didn't know who to block...but on the plays we knew who to block, failed to block 18 of them....that isn't that comforting.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I wonder how many confusion first downs we've given up. How many non-coverage first downs we've given up?
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
            So, we havent allowed sacks where we didn't know who to block...but on the plays we knew who to block, failed to block 18 of them....that isn't that comforting.
            It is actually considering the amount of turnover we've had on the line. Every player will give up sacks one on one. There is just too much talent on the D lines to win every single 1 on 1 battle. The problems come when there are free blitzers that crush your QB. We haven't seen that this year and you see it on a weekly basis in the NFL across the league. Those free guys coming through are also those same guys that have a higher potential to crush the QB and cause injuries.

I really can't complain AT ALL about the job the line has done this season considering the talent level and the absurd amount of injuries they have sustained weekly. Coach D was our best acquisition this offseason without a shadow of a doubt. Now let's give them a bit more talent.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Football seemed more fun when you simply sent Butkus and Deacon in to crack some heads.

Comment

• Panama
                パナマ
                • Aug 2013
                • London
                • Opera singer and web developer.
                • Send PM

No, but it confirms what most of us already knew: the coaching has been excellent, the scheme fits the personnel better (notice the low number of coverage sacks -- means we get rid of the ball quickly), but the talent (whether due to injuries or some other reason) isn't top notch.
                Adipose

Comment

• blahblahblah
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Only 3 teams have given up fewer sacks on a year with high line turnover and our LT out half the year. What more do you fucking want? I don't even think the line is playing that well, but it seems we can bitch about anything.

A lot of it is scheme and Rivers, but still, we're middle of the road on blown sacks.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
                    What more do you fucking want? I don't even think the line is playing that well, but it seems we can bitch about anything.
                    if that's what's considered bitching then some people need to grow thicker skin. i'm merely stating it's not as comforting IMO that it isn't trickery that's beating them. it's equivalent on D would be, even when they guess correctly and are in position to make the play, they still fail to make a stop. or would that simple statement be considered bitching too?

Comment

• blahblahblah
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

if that's what's considered bitching then some people need to grow thicker skin. i'm merely stating it's not as comforting IMO that it isn't trickery that's beating them. it's equivalent on D would be, even when they guess correctly and are in position to make the play, they still fail to make a stop. or would that simple statement be considered bitching too?
                      I'd say bitching is pretty accurate.

"Look how good we are at this!"

"Yeah, but we're only average at that"

Completely negative, unnecessary, and uninformative.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

We are trending to have one third less sacks this year. Less, is less. Spin that!
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X