Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Corey Liuget

Current Contract

Corey Liuget signed a 5 year, $51,250,000 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $7,500,000 signing bonus, $30,477,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,250,000. In 2018, Liuget will earn a base salary of $8,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $9,500,000 and a dead cap value of $3,000,000.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Id rather give that money to a guy like Poe. And draft a 3T. Just fix the DL. Fix the run D. Or get a guy like Vea or Payne who can be an 1T anchor and gobble up a couple lineman if you dont bring in a NT. Someone who can read RBs and stop the run. Keep our LBs clean. And obviously make tackles not look so difficult. Is it that much of a drop off at 3T with what we have behind Liuget? Im not sure Liuget can slide over to 1T either. I know Barksdale didnt give up a sack this year...but he has a huge cap hit next year. Id think about letting Liuget and Barksdale go and put that money in a guy like Poe. Some think Star would be an upgrade at NT. I dont know about that. If not Poe draft Vea. He is a monster in the run game. Come back around in the 2nd round and take a 3T like Phillips. Use the money we save on a LB like Z Brown. Draft a RT in the 3rd. RB in the 4th. Feeney at Center. Wiggins at RG. Lamp at LG.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Liuget has never played anywhere close to being as good as his contract. He is a good run down DT, who is getting top pass rusher money. The big problem is that he is tying up money that could be solving other problems and we should be getting more production on the field.

Phillon actually ended up playing more snaps this year. His snaps were about the same in the run game, better as a pass rusher. He is not an amazing player, but the only way to get cheaper than Phillon is to play a rookie. He should also be motivated since he is in a contract year.

Mebane was also not very productive. He is not playing a position that has a lot of stats, so that doesn't tell the whole story, but he is one of the higher paid run stuffing DT in football and would save $4.5 mill if he was cut.

Poe is a player who did some good things for the Falcons. He has been kinda inconsistent, but he has helped their inside pass rush (for a while) and their run D got a lot better. I think the problem is that he is too big a guy to be playing 75% of Atlanta's defensive snaps. When you cut his snaps, he can be a really impressive guy. That would mean he would have to take less money. And while everyone thinks of him as this big run stuffer, I think he might actually be a better 3 tech than NT. And for all the teams that don't run certain plays to the 3 technique side, it would really dictate the blocking to them. He is not going to make anywhere near as much money as he got this year, but he is a solid choice and won't be playing for free.

Star Lotulelei is another big name, but not necessarily a productive player. He had a late shoulder surgery last year, and can probably put together another good year or two, but he is not a great player and he is certainly only part of a rotation. Poe and Star might make an interesting combo, but only at the right price. Maybe a pair of 1 year deals with some 2nd years for show? If we are looking to solidify long term, I don' think either player is really an answer. They could be short-term stop gaps like Mebane was.

Vitea Vea is miscast in the University of Washington D as a do it all DL. He is asked to line up and 2 gap, and that is not his best stuff. He tends to stay at the line and stand up, neutralizing his strength. He is a better 1 gap guy who needs leverage but can be a very good low player who is a little bit disruptive and ruin blocking schemes. He is too slow to ever be much of a pass rusher, even though he is a good athlete. If he was still around, I would take a gamble on him and draft him as a run-down NT in our D to replace Mebane. I have watched a lot of him and I am slowly warming up to him. His lack of production still bothers me though.

Barksdale is a sorta OK RT who is getting paid like an average RT starter, even though he is not that good. Unfortunately, I don't see a way around him. Unless we trade up, I don't see any way to add a starting RT. This is not a good class for OT.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I think the coaches are higher on Liuget than people on this board are. Whether they are high enough to keep him, I guess we'll find out.

Comment

• CTrout
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'm thinking Luiget is gone. I would like to see them go after DeQuan Jones (Titans). He'll probably be cheaper than Star or Poe and imo is a more consistent player.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I fell in love with the kid from Alabama in the Championship game. But, Liuget is a bit better than most give him credit for.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I say keep him. I think he's a pretty good DT. Just need some LBs that can make him not look so bad
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Liuget is good. No question. But is he $8M good? Is he that much better than Philon?

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  Liuget is good. No question. But is he $8M good? Is he that much better than Philon?

TG
                  I think the question is if he is 6.5mil good. Thats how much the Chargers would have to replace him. I say he is definitely that good

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                    Id rather give that money to a guy like Poe. And draft a 3T. Just fix the DL. Fix the run D. Or get a guy like Vea or Payne who can be an 1T anchor and gobble up a couple lineman if you dont bring in a NT. Someone who can read RBs and stop the run. Keep our LBs clean. And obviously make tackles not look so difficult. Is it that much of a drop off at 3T with what we have behind Liuget? Im not sure Liuget can slide over to 1T either. I know Barksdale didnt give up a sack this year...but he has a huge cap hit next year. Id think about letting Liuget and Barksdale go and put that money in a guy like Poe. Some think Star would be an upgrade at NT. I dont know about that. If not Poe draft Vea. He is a monster in the run game. Come back around in the 2nd round and take a 3T like Phillips. Use the money we save on a LB like Z Brown. Draft a RT in the 3rd. RB in the 4th. Feeney at Center. Wiggins at RG. Lamp at LG.
                    Why not Poe and Vea?
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

True ...:. The $500,000 weight clause is usually a good warning sign
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                        X