• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
    You know after watching senior bowl practice and the game whats the take on bj hill the dt from nc state. He looks like a solid day 2 pick. I mean if we got any one of the notre dame offensive line day 1, or derwin james. Would people like bj hill on day 2??
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

So hard to predict right now, just happy this draft is so loaded.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        So, the consensus is to get rid of Perryman at LB?

When Pullard and Perryman split time at Mike in the dime, our run D was pretty good (see stats). In terms of a development type guys, I see Toomer or Brown as the LB types. All of our LB were solid in short yardage and goalline situations, once we gave up playing base and nickel D and went to the dime. The late-season run woes, with the exception of the 2nd KC game, were when we had to play more base D and less dime. To me that says we need to ditch the base D even more than we play much better in the dime. Give up fewer yards and get a lot more turnovers.

To me upgrading S is where the real gains could be made. They all had the career years, but are ascending players.

Adde got 66 tackles, but had no int, 7 passes defenses (PD), half a sack and didn't recover any fumbles.
        Phillips played a role similar to Addae (in the box S/LB) had 47 sacks in fewer snaps, 2 int, 5 PD, 1 FF and no sacks.
        Boston had 56 tackles, 5 int, 8 PD, no sacks.

None is a weak link, but they are not exactly a dominating players either. They represent a lot of snaps, so the potential to get more production is there. Also, if you add one player in the draft, there is a good chance that we can use them to compete against 2 or 3 of them for playing time. If they all play well, or Jenkins steps up his play, there is no reason to think we can't play them more.

Again, in the modern NFL, nickel and dime D is going to be 75% or more of our snaps. If our offense gets any better, it could creep up even higher. We tend to only play our base D when forced to by the other team. When teams like the Jets or Oakland play extra TE or FB, we go base. The rest of the time we simply matchup to the extra WR which are the norm in the NFL, with our extra DB. So, unless other teams start to take their WR off the field, our dime is going to be the norm.

I also don't know what a dominating LB would look like in today's NFL. The closest thing I can come up with is someone like Luke Keyuchley, but there are not many players who resemble him in the draft.

If we add another edge player, it would be to replace Emmanuel. Drafting a 34 OLB type of guy who can set the edge and rush the passer does give depth at Leo and maybe as a situational rusher. But he will be a part time player, you can't expect that they will have a huge impact as a rookie. They simply won't play that much.

If you look at the players with 1st round attention, it is in large part because they make a ton of plays chasing players down from behind. Brown already does that. His stats dropped in large part because he wasn't on the field as much on impact downs. He was on the field for 475 plays in 2017 vs 600 in 2016, but the big difference is the downs and distance. He forced 2 fumbles because of hits to receivers and got 3.5 sacks because he was used as a blitzer. This past season he played mostly on running downs, limiting those chances.
        Good observation on the defense there. What I've noticed with the defense is how important Adrian Phillips seems to be a Gus Bradley defense. If we can uprade that hybrid LB/S role it could be a bigger impact on the run and defense as a whole then a DL.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Does anybody here remember Zeke Moreno?
          Remember how he said that
          We would meet again
          Some sunny day?
          Zeke, Zeke
          What has become of you
          Does anybody else in here