• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Found Dog on side of road, need large dog kennel

I found a big beautiful pit bull on the off ramp exiting the 125 south at grossmont blvd.

I can't keep him but the shelters are closed. Can anyone possibly let me borrow a large dog kennel or crate until Tuesday?

I'm in la mesa and will come pick it up.
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Or if anyone wants to adopt him, he has no chip, nobody is responding to my craigslist ads. He still has his nuts. Might be a pit for breeding. I will have to use my judgement though I don't want to give him to anyone that will turn him into a mean dog or fighter.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
      Or if anyone wants to adopt him, he has no chip, nobody is responding to my craigslist ads. He still has his nuts. Might be a pit for breeding. I will have to use my judgement though I don't want to give him to anyone that will turn him into a mean dog or fighter.
      Hi Buck,

The East County/El Cajon shelter (info below) might not have to be open for business for you to do a drop off. Many county shelters - Carlsbad, for one - have evening drop-off kennels. They are closed kennels, with a dog bed and water (can't leave food in there, for several reasons). You put the pup in, close the door, and it locks. The one in Carlsbad has an exit out the back of the kennel, which goes directly into the shelter. You might want to try that first.

I live in Carlsbad, and I have an extra (large) crate, but if you're going to drive all the way up here to pick up a crate from me, it would be easier (and probably better for the dog) to just drive him to the Carlsbad shelter and do the evening drop-off. However, if someone is looking for him - he could be a loving pet - then they'd probably start looking in the East County area first, since that's where you found him. However, I do believe all the county shelters are networked, so he should pop up on a search regardless of where he's kept.

One IMPORTANT thing: You will be asked to fill out a form when you drop him off (that's the way they do it in Carlsbad, anyway). One of the the last questions will be: "Will you take the animal as a last resort to euthanasia?" PLEASE check 'YES' to that question. There are many, many organizations that will take healthy pets as an alternative to having them put down.

If you want to contact me, please PM me.

Thanks,
      Jim

El Cajon Animal Control

Directions

Address: 1275 N Marshall Ave, El Cajon, CA 92020
      Phone:(619) 441-1580

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Follow-up:

Two SD County Pit Bill Rescue organizations:

`Website for organization helping pets and owners.

Comment

• Buck
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Thanks Q. I am keeping him for the night and my girlfriend will watch him while I'm at work tomorrow. But I will check out the shelter to see if it has a drop off. And I will check the box. I will be in touch with you tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.

Here is a pic.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Buck View Post
            Thanks Q. I am keeping him for the night and my girlfriend will watch him while I'm at work tomorrow. But I will check out the shelter to see if it has a drop off. And I will check the box. I will be in touch with you tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.

Here is a pic.
            Great pic! Wish I could take him myself, but I have 7 animals already! LOL!

Thanks for giving me an update. And especially for doing what you did for the pup.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Dude, he looks awesome! Wish I could take him in dammit. Hope you're able to find a home for him. Good luck!
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Speaking of large dog kennels I'm looking to donate mine. Anyone know of a good organization to donate to?
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Buck
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Google large dog rescue and put in your hometown. They will be glad to take it.

My friend wants the dog, good news, she doesn't want a dog with nuts, bad news.

If I take him to the shelter will they neuter him, and then I can adopt him back for the $70 fee or whatever? Or will they just not bother with the neuter since he's a pit and might be deemed unadoptable?

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

Try a search for a spay and neuter clinic. They will usually offer the service at a very low rate since its all they do. We have one out here, so I would think a large Metro area like So Cal would have one.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Buck
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Right on. Only $40 for pit bulls to be neutered here. I am telling people I will cover the neuter and first vet checkup if they want to adopt him.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

That's just nuts!
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X