Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
    There are 2 guys I think we could bring in who wouldn't break the bank and be improvements over what we have. One is Beau Allen from the Eagles. He's a high energy, bit of an overachiever. I'm not sure if anyone remembers when we played them early last year but he was a real pain in the ass that day. With all the $$ Philly has tied up in their Dline I doubt they'll be able to bring him back.
    The other is DeQuan Jones from the Titans, mostly a run stuffer but has slowly improved his pass rush.
    Imo Liuget and Mebane are both on the downside of their careers while Allen and Jones are both still improving.
    I like Beau Allen because while he is not a great player, he is better than what we have and is a high energy guy. He might be a good fit as a NT, which is how Philly uses him.

I don't see Jones as just a run stuffer. he is not a great pass rusher, but he has ability as both a run stuffer and pass rusher. IT would be a bit of a switch, since he has spent his whole career as a 34 DE for the Titans. I think he might be a fit as a 3 technique guy.

The key with both of them is how much are teams willing to pay to get them. I don't think either of their teams will be a problem, but there are always other teams looking for FA help on the DL.

Comment

• TTThunder
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Steve,

Which players will you select at our #17?  (Would be great if you can rank them according to your preference...)

Thanks!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Read today our cap space is around 33 million.
        I wouldnt give Phillips a first or second round tender. Id gladly take a 3rd or 4th for him if signed away.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

I'd be happy to give Mebane and Liuget's money to someone else.
          Did you guys say Square was an FA ? He's certainly a keeper if not.
          Is Rochelle an inside or outside guy? Same with Pelepoi?
          Philon could ( continue) to surprise if given more reps.
          I like our D line rotation. An upgrade however is needed in the middle and we have the means( decent draft pick/ FA money) to make it happen.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Kicker didn't lose games for us? Agree the run defense must get better or we won't beat KC.

Comment

• blueman
                blueman commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure, kicker too. But we can fix that relatively cheaply/low pick.
            • Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I hope they sign Sturgis after he is cut. Forget using a pick. Elliot kicked well for Philly when he was hurt so no need to keep him. And they got Elliot from the Saints practice squad. We just need to find the right one, don't need to use a pick unless there is a kicker worth using one on but most are undrafted. We already signed the bust that was a second round pick.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Read today our cap space is around 33 million.
                I wouldnt give Phillips a first or second round tender. Id gladly take a 3rd or 4th for him if signed away.
                There is no such thing as a 3rd or 4th round tender. For Phillips it is 1st, 2nd or nothing (in terms of compensation).

If a player is drafted you can do the tender for the same round as they were originally picked, but since Phillips was an UDFA, that isn't an option for us. Same with McCain and T. Williams, which is what makes this kinda complicated.
                Last edited by Steve; 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There is no such thing as a 3rd or 4th round tender. For Phillips it is 1st, 2nd or nothing.

If a player is drafted you can do the tender for the same round as they were originally picked, but since Phillips was an UDFA, that isn't an option for us. Same with McCain and T. Williams, which is what makes this kinda complicated.
                  Oh yeah. Well I'd tender Tyrell for sure and McCain but not sure I'd tender Phillips that high. I don't know what the salary would be for those tenders though. Can't they just sign them to like two or three year deals? That would help the cap. They don't have to give them RFA deals do they?
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-13-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

1). Hurst, DT Michigan - not necessarily the best player in the draft, but he would make the pass rush a lot stronger by flushing the game to Ingram and Bosa. he is also a much better run defender than a lot of the arm chair scouts think.
                      2). Quentin Nelson, OG, ND - I think he is the best OG I have seen in college. Is amazing at helping the players out around him, and still dominates his own man. McGlinchy owes him about half his rookie signing bonus for as much as Nelson helps him out.
                      3). DaRon Payne, NT, Alabama - Has enough speed to play the draws, and contain on stunts, while pushing the pocket some. Big kid who plays with leverage and has good hand use.
                      4). Billy Price, C, OSU - Great zone blocker and very, very good at down blocks to allow the pulling OG to get out to pull and lead the running game. Would be the ideal fit to make our inside run game work. Also is really good at recovering when a guy gets a step on him.
                      5). Derwin James, S, FSU - can push Addae, Phillips and/or Boston. I keep seeing people talking about us adding a LB to counter Hunt (KC), but really, James is the kind of player we need to do that.
                      6). James Daniel,C, Iowa - Another athletic guy who could anchor the C position for a long time.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

1). Hurst, DT Michigan - not necessarily the best player in the draft, but he would make the pass rush a lot stronger by flushing the game to Ingram and Bosa. he is also a much better run defender than a lot of the arm chair scouts think.
                        2). Quentin Nelson, OG, ND - I think he is the best OG I have seen in college. Is amazing at helping the players out around him, and still dominates his own man. McGlinchy owes him about half his rookie signing bonus for as much as Nelson helps him out.
                        3). DaRon Payne, NT, Alabama - Has enough speed to play the draws, and contain on stunts, while pushing the pocket some. Big kid who plays with leverage and has good hand use.
                        4). Billy Price, C, OSU - Great zone blocker and very, very good at down blocks to allow the pulling OG to get out to pull and lead the running game. Would be the ideal fit to make our inside run game work. Also is really good at recovering when a guy gets a step on him.
                        5). Derwin James, S, FSU - can push Addae, Phillips and/or Boston. I keep seeing people talking about us adding a LB to counter Hunt (KC), but really, James is the kind of player we need to do that.
                        6). James Daniel,C, Iowa - Another athletic guy who could anchor the C position for a long time.
                        An excellent group. Interesting that Vea is missing.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X