Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I see it is if we extend Tyrell Williams it gives us security on two fronts:

1. Our top three receivers are tied to this team for the next few seasons. With Tyrell, Mike and Keenan under contract we arguably have one of the best trios in the league to support our quarterback in the final chapter of his NFL career. Considering we are in "win now" mode it is important to surround Rivers with lots of weapons and with that trio, plus our tight ends (Hunter Henry, Virgil Green and Antonio Gates if he returns) and our backs (Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler) we will have players to cause opposition defenses lots of problems. The other thing to consider here is that having more options allows Rivers to spread the ball around and possibly help lessen the amount of hits those players take compared to a scenario where he relies heavily on one or two options.

2. It gives us insurance with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams if they suffer injuries, or if Mike Williams doesn't develop as we hope (a recent first round example is Devante Parker, three seasons in and he's yet to breakout and show that number #1 receiver potential they drafted him for). Also, if he signs a four year extension that takes us beyond Keenan Allen's extension (he's got three years left) and Mike Williams' rookie contract (unless we take his fifth year option). So a few seasons from now we should have a good idea whether Mike Williams gets his first extension and Keenan Allen gets his second extension. If all three are productive we might even decide to keep them around if the cap has gone up enough to make it financially feasible, if so, that helps Rivers if he's playing at 40 or our next quarterback.

With that said, if a team does come along and poach him, then a second round pick is fair compensation for him. At that point we would need to hope that Keenan and Mike stay healthy and are productive, but we could always support them with another receiver through the draft on day two or three. We've seen Cooper Kupp come in as a third round draft pick and post a 62/869/5 stat line in his rookie season, Tyreek Hill is a star and he was a fifth round pick, and after all we found Tyrell Williams undrafted. So we can always replace him if our front office do their jobs well, but ideally I'd like to see Tyrell extended and remain a Charger because he could do for us what Malcom Floyd did.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Tyrell if he can make the jump this year it would be great on all parts, that means we have competition at our number two receiver spot with Mike Williams. I actually think Tyrell will make the jump he tasted sucess in year two when he was forced into the line-up with Allen gone for the season and he had a thousand yard season. Last year he was training camp sensation, then when Mike Williams was out, it seem like Tyrell kind of took things for granted and he was a lock as the starter.

This year Mike Williams coming for him to start opposite him, competition is good, Tyrell also probably will be looking for his next big contract, I expect him to step it up this year, and I wouldn't be surprise he beats Mike Williams out for the starting position, if he does lets hope it is because of competition battle and not because Mike Williams is injured or because Mike Williams is who I think he is (Someone who can't separate, not quick, not good route runner, and injury prone)

Comment

• BoltBacker
        BoltBacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Much as I like him, he is a one route WR. Take away crossing routes (which he is very good with) and he is average at best. Mike Williams has the potential to be a legit WR opposite KA. If they feel he is ready to step up then Tyrell is expendable.

• foreigner
        foreigner commented
        Editing a comment
        If I were a GM I would appreciate those who have shown production, T. Williams has shown production so in my books he is a keeper. Mike Williams (Like any draft pick in my hands) is a potential talent who hasnt shown anything so far, but I'm not saying I would kick them. I just would be generous with the people who has given me something. I would be patient with those with potential but until then my team would be made by those who have contributed.
    • madcaplaughs
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If Cleveland offers their 2nd for him, it would be a temptation. Also, Miami really needs a receiver. Really would want something more than their 2nd though....

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
        Tyrell if he can make the jump this year it would be great on all parts, that means we have competition at our number two receiver spot with Mike Williams. I actually think Tyrell will make the jump he tasted sucess in year two when he was forced into the line-up with Allen gone for the season and he had a thousand yard season. Last year he was training camp sensation, then when Mike Williams was out, it seem like Tyrell kind of took things for granted and he was a lock as the starter.

This year Mike Williams coming for him to start opposite him, competition is good, Tyrell also probably will be looking for his next big contract, I expect him to step it up this year, and I wouldn't be surprise he beats Mike Williams out for the starting position, if he does lets hope it is because of competition battle and not because Mike Williams is injured or because Mike Williams is who I think he is (Someone who can't separate, not quick, not good route runner, and injury prone)
        Tyrell got a lot better at downfield routes. The post off of play action that he ran to beat Josh Norman for the TD against Washinton was very well run, despite the broken coverage. His fade route vs Dallas for a TD was pretty impressive too.

Tyrell needs to get better at beating press coverage. He disappears against KC because they play so much tight man to man and it takes him forever to lose his defender.

Mike Williams has a long way to go too. He needs to develop his route tree to get better separation. He is still mechanical in how he runs routes. He can win the close balls, but the QB isn't going to throw that many to him if he is tightly covered. He also dropped several potential big plays, which given how little he was on the field dramatically changed the outlook on him going into the offseason.

The other player who has to step up is Benjamin. While people may think of him as an after thought, NFL teams spend most of their time with 3 WR on the field. IF those 3 (for us) are KA, Tyrell and Mike, then Benjamin is moving on. His salary is way to high to sit him on the bench. Benjamin is a solid player, but he needs to learn to beat press coverage and get off the line more quickly. He is quick enough to be dangerous on short passes, and has the speed to stretch defenses. But he disappears against Denver and KC because of the amount of man coverage they play, and they can focus on KA too much. Benjamin needs to step up or he is the odd man out next year.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Tyrell Willams reminds me a lot of Alvin Harper when he was with the Cowboys. He is a great complementary WR, deep threat, long strider. Quickness is not his thing and he is getting better but still not a real great route runner. I would keep him. Not going to get much for him in a trade. He is also a great story and a great guy (from all reports). Sort of like Malcolm Floyd part II.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Me too.

Ops sorry...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• foreigner