• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Welcome Jaylen Watkins

Chargers signed DB Jaylen Watkins, formerly of the Eagles, to a one-year contract.

Watkins was non-tendered by Philadelphia after logging just 167 snaps last season. The 25-year-old can play anywhere in the secondary but should see most of his snaps at safety in Los Angeles.

​​​​​​
    Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
    Selected: Round 4, Pick 1, Overall Pick 101 by Eagles
    Name: Jaylen Watkins
    College: Florida Number: 14
    Height: 5-11 Weight: 194
    Position: CB Pos2: FS/ST Class/Draft Year: Sr/2014
    40 Low: 4.31
    40 Time: 4.41
    40 High: 4.52

Projected Round: 2-3 High: 2nd Low: 4th Stock:
    Rated number 10 out of 221 CB's 81 / 2250 TOTAL
    Combine Results Pro Day Results
    Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 5114
    Weight: 194

PD3X AKA "Official"
    40 Yard Dash (ET):

40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.42
    20 Yard (ET): 2.56
    20 Yard (HH): 2.52
    10 Yard (ET): 1.50
    10 Yard (HH): 1.51
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
    Vertical Jump:
    Broad Jump:
    20 Yrd Shuttle:
    3-Cone Drill:
    Dates: 03/17/14
    Hand: 9 5/8 Arm: 30 5/8
    Wingspan: 75 1/2

Height: 5114
    Weight: 194

40 Yard Dash (HH):
    20 Yard (HH):
    10 Yard (HH):
    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 31 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'10"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.50
    3-Cone Drill: 7.13
    Data Scout Notes: 2013: NAC/NAM...DS#5PSTeamProspect-RRang...2012: NA...2011: NA/#9FS
    Jaylen Watkins/Florida football Videos
    *Automated search based on player first/last name, college team name, football, 3 loading panels, click video to view in full size on this page,
    watch or fast forward one full video, or open player with red arrow to choose more cuts at the bottom of the big video screen.
    Click "I'm done watching this" blue link at the top of video to close screen. If available/HQ changes video quality.
    Header
    Jaylen Watkins
    DB
    Florida
    6000 182 4.48
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Cape Coral High School
    Overview
    A four-star CB recruit, Watkins, who is the older brother of Clemson WR Sammy Watkins, was thrust into the starting line-up as a sophomore and shared the starting duties the last three seasons.

While he was often overlooked due to the other top CB recruits at Florida, he was able to prove his versatility by starting at FS and seeing playing time all over the secondary to get on the field. Watkins appears comfortable in off man, press and zone coverage and looks natural down the field, but still has room to improve his awareness and anticipation.

He has light, controlled feet and does an excellent job in his backpedal and hip flip to stay in a WR hip pocket down the field. Watkins needs some refinement, but his natural talent always seems to shine through - top-75 cover man.
    Analysis
    STRENGTHS: Adequate body type for the position with good arm length...light on his feet with smooth hips to quickly redirect and stay controlled in his movements...stays low in his pedal and transition, staying loose with natural reflexes to mirror and stay disciplined...nice job getting his head turned to find the ball and make a play...aggressive vs the run and won't shy from contact, throwing his body around with NFL toughness - scrappy, fearless style serves him well in coverage and run support...good pursuit speed and on-field motor...versatile experience with playing time at CB, S and on special teams coverage - 28 career starts (22 CB, 6 S).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal muscle tone and his overall strength isn't ideal to consistently shed blocks or finish in space...inconsistent ballskills and needs to come away with more interceptions when he get his hands on the ball...too hands on with bigger WRs and will get flagged for being too aggressive when the ball is in the air - needs to improve his catch point discipline...cover instincts and anticipation have improved over the years, but there is still much room for him to improve in this area...minor durability concerns, missing some time with bumps and bruises...was an off-and-on starter most of his career at Florida and was pushed down the depth chart - never separated himself as a clear-cut starting CB in Gainesville.

--Dane Brugler
    Career Notes
    Appeared in 48 games, with 28 starts, in his career at Florida.
    2013 Season
    2011 Season
    2010 Season
    2012 Season
    High School
    Draft Scout Player News
    11/15/17 - CB Jaylen Watkins was listed on the injury report with a hamstring injury, but was a full practice participant.
    10/04/17 - CB Jaylen Watkins was a limited practice participant Wednesday. It was his first action since injuring his hamstring in Week 2. There is a possibility he may play this week.
    09/22/17 - S Jaylen Waktins (hamstring) will sit out Sunday.
    09/21/17 - CB Jaylen Watkins didn't practice Wednesday. He injured his hamstring early in Sunday's loss to Kansas City and didn't return. He isn't expected to play this week.
    09/18/17 - S Jaylen Waktins and S Rodney McLeod exited the Sunday game with hamstring injuries.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Byeeee Boston...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• charger1993
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

I dont get it. Why not being back boston?? Was he asking to much??

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Why do so many starting NFL safeties remain unsigned in free agency? SN's Alex Marvez weighs in after conversations with Tre Boston and an anonymous team executive.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Only a one year contract? Teams generally like two so they can get a guy back if he plays well his first year.

I'd still like to get Boston back.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

By Reuben Frank and Dave Zangaro | NBC Sports Philadelphia March 02, 2018 9:00 AM

Jaylen Watkins
            Roob:
            Watkins was a core special teamer, and Jim Schwartz really seems to like his versatility. Little is set behind Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod, so I'm guessing the former fourth-round pick out of Florida sticks for another year.
            Verdict: STAYS
            Dave: Watkins is a restricted free agent this offseason so it'll really be up to the Eagles if they want him back. They aren't going to tender him, so he'll become unrestricted on March 14. They weren't going to pay him what that contract would cost. But that doesn't mean he's necessarily gone. It's not like there will be a lot of teams busting down doors to get to him. While Watkins isn't a starter, he played some good snaps for the Eagles in 2017 and was a backup at every position on defense. When the Eagles needed a cornerback instead of a safety, Watkins moved there in the summer. He should be cheap enough to keep.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

I think Boston will be in play after teams fail to get what they need in the draft. But nobody promoted themselves on social media more than he and his mother. I had conversations with his mother regarding promoting him on our twitter page so he would get all star votes. lol

I think Boston greatly benefitted from Bosa and Ingram causing terrible passes. And yes its true Boston cant cover anybody. Hes a freelance type that picks off bad passes. Those are not hard to find. King could probably do that and much more as he can be a chess piece type that also gets after the QB on blitzes.

Its also entirely possible that King is the FS going forward and we end up drafting a CB to replace Verrett next year. A guy that plays the slot this year and then moves outside when Verrett is gone. Or use Williams opposite of Hayward and keep a rookie in the slot. You want DBs that can cover. And not necessarily the single high center fielder types.

I heard Boston wants like 5 million a year. lol I think max hes worth twice his contract from last year.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                chargerkdb commented
                Editing a comment
                Whats his mom think? Haha
            • chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

DB depth and core special teamer. Welcome aboard

Comment

• charger1993
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

So are we bringing biston back??? Or are we just gonna rock with watkins??? The safety mRket is weird. No nfl team is bothering any of them

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It appears they aren't bringing Boston back do they see Adrian Philips or do they see the up and coming play maker Desmond King as a starting free safety with Addae at strong safety?

Current Safeties Addae, Phillips, King*, Jenkins, and new comer Jaylen Watkins.

Did Rashawn Jenkins show enough as a rookie or is Safety in play in the draft?

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

King was so outstanding as the slot corner, I'd hate to move him away from there. I can't remember any other slot corner the Bolts have had that was as good.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Jaylen is brother to Sammy Watkins so he has the genes.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                      X