Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

What UFAs are out there to sign to provide pass rush??
    None..zero
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I was impressed with McCain early, but then he really tailed off. Perhaps it was due to lingering injuries or maybe other teams figured him out. Teams dont let edge rushers go, especially cheap ones, unless there is more to the story. McCain may have asked for this and threatened to hold out and not sign his tender? Who knows? But dont just jump to the conclusion that Telesco is stupid and Spanos is cheap.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        Mister Hoarse commented
        Editing a comment
        Won't take much of a jump tho.
    • bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      Maybe they know there wasnt any or much activity for him and they want to sign him to a cheapter deal?
      I think this is the answer...
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• richpjr
        richpjr commented
        Editing a comment
        The cold blooded reality of sports!
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

I'm of the opinion that this means any or all of those things:
      1. Little to no activity and they want to sign him for cheaper.
      2. Maybe they think they can sign someone else who is of similar skill set, that is cheaper.
      3. They are reading the tea leaves, and feel that they can draft someone in their position.

3 is definitely the least likely.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Screeme
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Kind of a strange move. Without Attouchu we really don't have any depth behind Bosa and Ingram now. I was already thinking we'd want to draft a depth piece day 3, anyway. So, I have to assume there is some bigger plan at play here. Without another signing, pass rush depth at edge is a priority now in the draft, mataafa in the 3rd?

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Apparently Keenan Allen is perturbed his former HS/College buddy had his offer rescinded. Of course, McCain COULD have signed it immediately and he would be a Charger. We should also ask why he did not do that.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Boston's still out there. There are several decent S who would be upgrades over Addae and Phillips (Kenny Veccaro, Eric Reid, Ron Parker). CJ Anderson might not be the ideal starter, but he might be a good backup on a 1 year deal. We also haven't resigned Gates. Junior Gallete and Elvis Dumervil can both be situational rush guys, as Lamar Houston could. Shea McClellin might be a nice fit at OTTO LB (and cheap). Blair Walsh, Kai Forbath and Nick Folk are K who could be used to push up the level of competition. None of the names are people who would be great, but they do give a chance to add some more role players and upgrade some.

Right now we have something like $6.5 million, and most of that is needed for rookies and any injury replacements. We are basically done at this point without making some moves. McCain and Liuget could be the moves to let one or two more moves happen. We won't get rich doing it, but we add some more depth before the draft.

The other thing it potentially does is allow us to trade up, or go after people who are post draft or June 1st cuts.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn on his team withdrawing a qualifying offer to restricted free agent DE Chris McCain: "This sport does have a business side to it. I think when you re-do Corey Liuget, it gives you some flexibility there and we did some things with Chris. We think Chris is a heck of a player. The door's definitely open for him to come back. We'll just how it works out."

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Maybe the money is to sign him long term? Probably not (certainly not)......... just saying they must have something in mind.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

If there is something in the works to sign him he certainly sounds like its over based on his last tweet. This is a head scratcher for me for sure. Fans are pretty bummed about it. What he did with kids pre game was awesome and good for the team and community.

From a football standpoint we can probably replace the production with guys who can do what he does and maybe even have a more rounded game. I have to admit im liking the idea of Nwosu more than ever now. And because im an athletic LB whore maybe even both Evans and Nwosu. Use Evans inside on run downs with Nwosu at SAM. Move Nwosu to the edge with Bosa inside on pass downs and Evans can blitz from a few spots with Perryman coming out.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Rich's quote above doesn't make it sound like Lynn is totally shutting the door on McClain. I certainly hope it doesn't. Presumably, Lynn is echoing the rest of the organization.

McClain is in a weird position because he is thin (6'5" and 235) and can't play the run well (technique as well as bulk). He has to be in a scheme like ours where he can line up wide and not take on blockers. He's not great, but he can be a situational guy and he was nothing when he played for Miami, Dallas, NO or NE. he has gotten a lot better. I hope we find a way to keep him.

That being said, I still would like another edge rusher and a DT who can push the pocket on earlier downs. If nothing else we can't slide Bosa or Ingram inside on long yardage, if we don't have a speed rusher to take their place outside.

Comment

Working...
                      X