Of Cox and Woodhead, a TT and MM story...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Of Cox and Woodhead, a TT and MM story...

Go Rivers!
  • BoltBalls
    Always keep eye contact!
    • Jun 2013
    • SD!
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Danny Woodhead, Derek Cox a tale of two offseason signings
    I’ve always been a fan of Cox’s, and I praised him as an underrated free agent buy this past offseason. It’s easy to criticize Telesco and the Chargers in hindsight for signing Cox due to the CB’s struggles, but this is more about Cox than the team. There is little doubt that Cox was a solid player in Jacksonville, and the Chargers deal to sign him was honestly quite sound financially. No, the issue here is the fact that Cox has been a surprising disappointment, and he’s surprised more people than just those in the Chargers organization.

The good news is that one year does not make up an entire player’s career, so there’s certainly a solid shot that Cox regains his previous form and has a great 2014 year and becomes the guy the Chargers wanted as their No. 1 CB. It might not happen if he keeps playing like he has this season, but Cox has the track record of a good corner in this league. Hopefully he can bounce back and I am going to remain very optimistic that he can, but, for now, he is one of the biggest free agent disappointments of this year.
    I agree with this statement. Everyone was praising this move during the preseason, and the contract wasn't as expensive as some may think. Hindsight is always perfect vision, Cox clearly has something wrong going for him and maybe it is positional coaching/usage more than anything but who knows. I'm curious to know how Telesco handles Cox (and his possible replacement) this offseason, as it will be a very important decision to make for the team.

Good article, thanks!

Comment

I sure hope that Cox

PROMOTED BY NORDSTROM GIFTABILITY AT NORDSTROM

can turn it around, he has been a huge disappointment.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Spin zone
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

What's the spin?

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Cox has more than enough physical ability to be a good CB. But I don't ever recall seeing a guy who look so completely unsure of himself from his body language then Cox.

Many players make it or break it based on whether they can develop the confidence that they will go out and play well. Once they know they can do it, they will often start to be a lot better just by virtue of knowing they can.

But Cox is complete the opposite right now. The guy is so unsure of himself that he looks like he is just trying to avoid being completely embarrassed on every play. Maybe he can turn it around, but some guys never do, and like I said, I have never seen a guy who looks so defeated prior to being beaten.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              What's the spin?
              Cox signing isn't bad is spin. He sucks, and not because of any unforeseen injuries, etc. Just plain shit. After Team Desperation 2012, team couldn't really afford to miss on even medium money free agents.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Cox has more than enough physical ability to be a good CB. But I don't ever recall seeing a guy who look so completely unsure of himself from his body language then Cox.

Many players make it or break it based on whether they can develop the confidence that they will go out and play well. Once they know they can do it, they will often start to be a lot better just by virtue of knowing they can.

But Cox is complete the opposite right now. The guy is so unsure of himself that he looks like he is just trying to avoid being completely embarrassed on every play. Maybe he can turn it around, but some guys never do, and like I said, I have never seen a guy who looks so defeated prior to being beaten.
                He looks like the kid in Little League who they used to stick in right field, just praying the ball wasn't hit to him.
                Last edited by QSmokey; 12-16-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                  He looks like the kid in Little League who they used to stick in right field, just praying the ball wasn't hit to him.
                  Coach always told me right field was the most important position on the field
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Cox reminds me of Jammer's "going through a Divorce distractions" season.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      Cox reminds me of Jammer's "going through a Divorce distractions" season.
                      Jammer was NEVER as bad as Cox, IMO. Cox has been abysmal.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                        Cox signing isn't bad is spin. He sucks, and not because of any unforeseen injuries, etc. Just plain shit. After Team Desperation 2012, team couldn't really afford to miss on even medium money free agents.
                        Why is it spin? At the time he was signed, there was no indication to think he would crash and burn as bad as he did. Clearly he has been a total bust and it hasn't worked out at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X