Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Keep Pagano over Dennis Allen?

Mike McCoy and Raiders coach Dennis Allen are close friends who vacationed together in the Virgin Islands six months ago. Under Broncos coach John Fox in 2011, McCoy and Allen were the coordinators on Fox's first AFC West championship team. Previously Allen won a Super Bowl ring directing the Saints secondary. He is known as a defensive expert.

Allen could be available for hire in a few weeks. His first Raiders team went 4-12 last year, and his second Raiders team, coming off a 56-31 loss at home to the Chiefs, will bring a 4-10 record into San Diego on Sunday. Raiders General Manager Reggie McKenzie, who hired Allen, may want to give him a third season. But an 8-22 record in two years isn't good for job security.

McCoy, meantime, has seen the Chargers defense struggle mightily at times this year. The tackling, pass coverage and pass rush have lagged at various times.

Would McCoy turn to his friend Allen if he becomes available?

I doubt it. McCoy seems to think very highly of John Pagano, the Chargers defensive coordinator. Talking with reporters McCoy has praised Pagano several times, and never hinted displeasure with him.

And McCoy showed faith in Pagano last February by retaining him as the defensive coordinator, while not bringing back 13 other coaches from Norv Turner's staff.

"I can't thank the coach enough about the opportunity he gave me this year," Pagano said Friday.

Pagano's unit is coming off one of the better performances by an NFL defense this year. Forcing four consecutive punts without allowing a first down, the Chargers shut down a Broncos offense that was averaging an NFL-best 39.6 points per game.

"The game plan that John Pagano put together, and the way the players executed it, is out of this world," McCoy said Friday.

McCoy noted that the Chargers held Denver to 18 yards rushing and took away the deep pass. He pointed out that the Chargers held the Broncos to 13 yards across four series.

"They have one of the best offenses in the history of the game. They are very explosive and they all know what they can do. Give John Pagano and his staff a ton of credit. That's an outstanding performance by the defense," he said.

The victory was the first by an AFC West team over the Broncos since Peyton Manning joined the division. And for Manning, who seems likely to be named the league's MVP, it was his second loss versus a Pagano this year. Chuck Pagano's Colts beat Denver earlier this year.

Coaching dynamics can change in a hurry. But if Pagano wants to return, it seems he'll be back in 2014 for his third year as defensive coordinator.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I hope Allen gets fired
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Opera singer and web developer.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      I hope Allen gets fired...
      ...and that whoever hires him is outside the AFC West.
      Adipose

Comment

• MrSparky
        • Dec 2013
        • Send PM

I see the D progressing slowly but surely. Firings aren't always the answer... too young of a staff

Comment

• Guy Lombardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

I think Pagano saved his job last week. Now if the defense tanks away the last two games that could changed again, maybe. But I think if McCoy wants to keep Pagano, he no longer has to offer him as scapegoat. If McCoy wants to get rid of him, well Pagano made it a lot harder. I'm not sure what the best course of action is myself. I was all for giving him a shot last year and really thought he'd be a good DC, but this defense this year changed my mind, I wanted him gone. Can't argue with the last two wins though.
          Last edited by Guy Lombardo; 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Broncos fans arent fond of Allen. He looks like he sure could fix your computer though

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Just beat the got damn Raiders!

TIME TO BEAT THIS OAKLANDS
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I don't care where Allen ends up. I just hate the idea that the Chargers HC vacations with the Raiders HC.

I want the Chargers HC to hate everything Raiders and want to bury every last one of them
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  Just beat the got damn Raiders!

TIME TO BEAT THIS OAKLANDS
                  Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  I don't care where Allen ends up. I just hate the idea that the Chargers HC vacations with the Raiders HC.

I want the Chargers HC to hate everything Raiders and want to bury every last one of them
                  LOL! You guys need a 12-step program - "RHA" - to get you over this ridiculously skewed obsession with the comical, pathetic Raiders. Better yet, channel some of that hate toward Denver, or New England, or even New Orleans. You guys do more to keep the "Raider Mystique" alive than thousands of their hapless fans.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Guy Lombardo View Post
                    I think Pagano saved his job last week. Now if the defense tanks away the last two games that could changed again, maybe. But I think if McCoy wants to keep Pagano, he no longer has to offer him as scapegoat. If McCoy wants to get rid of him, well Pagano made it a lot harder. I'm not sure what the best course of action is myself. I was all for giving him a shot last year and really thought he'd be a good DC, but this defense this year changed my mind, I wanted him gone. Can't argue with the last two wins though.
                    we started with an impressive win in Philly against what was supposed to be a really good offense. We stuffed Indy in Indy and smothered both ShEli and Peyton within the same week with well designed and executed defensive game plans. Some of the losses I put on McCoy or the offense not executing when needed at critical times. Considering the known overall lack of defensive talent coming into the year, coupled with the injuries costing (or limiting) starters like Ingram, Freeney, JJ, Butler, Te'o, Wright from playing together much and the musical chairs with castoff FAs at LB and the Secondary- I don't see how we could have realistically expected more from this defense this year. I think the DL has not stablilized or improved enough under Don Johnson and want him replaced before giving up on Reyes, Luiget and Cam. Also, I think I am starting to warm up to the idea of switching to the 4-3 next year though based on the players we have now for DL and LB.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

I can't see us firing him after all the positive things McCoy said about him after the Denver game. I don't put any faith in the whole retaining Pagano part of the argument. Lots of guys get retained by new HC then get fired right after the season because they just didn't fit the new team that well. A few weeks ago, that seemed to be the way Pagano was headed.

But the only way Pagano leaves now is if they let him go somewhere else, and Pagano isn't going to get any HC offers (well, not in the NFL anyway). And he hasn't been that great that he is going to get many teams fired up to hire him away.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

I think Pagano stays. He earned it...he's kind of a scrappy little cuss.

But I'd like Dennis Allen to be hired, just to switch to a 4-3.
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                        X