Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So Hacksaw is now a writer at the SDUT?

Not a bad article though...

Hacksaw: A signature win for Chargers
    By Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton 6 A.M.DEC. 16, 2013

It was a signature win for the coach, his running back and maybe even the organization, this San Diego Chargers victory in Denver on Thursday.

A sign of what the Bolts franchise was becoming; who the coach Mike McCoy really was; and what Ryan Mathews, the running back, has turned into.

You have now won in Arrowhead Stadium-Kansas City, won in Denver against the brilliance of Peyton Manning, and won earlier against the great unknown, the Eagles. You win in those places, against those odds, those teams, what does it say your team has turned into? A franchise with the arrow pointing up.

This Chargers victory was a more meaningful win than just another game on the schedule, in what could still turn out to be another non-playoff season. No, this win was about commitment, toughness, resilience, leadership, and productivity. This was a message game to those on the outside, and importantly, to those inside the lockeroom. This approach works. What was in the past is gone. This is a new era.

The Bolts beat Dallas when they had all their firepower. They took the game away from Andrew Luck and the Colts, but bashing the Broncos, and it was a beat-down, was taking the next step. San Diego's style was about "Taking No Prisoners," dictating tempo, not wilting under the glare of the spotlight and the heat of Peyton Manning.

Mike McCoy closed the Country Club he inherited from the past regime. Norv Turner's favorite pet phrase of late had become "it's fixable." McCoy replaced that with "It's not tolerable." Whereas Turner won with Marty Schottenheimer's players early on, McCoy took a bunch of losers and drove them to excel.

It's probably stamped right there on his drivers license; you can read it on his face; hear it in his speeches. You now understand why players tell me this coach is "Intensity Squared."

The Chargers may be (7-7) and they may still need help to get to play into mid-January, but you get the sense there are changes at The Fortress. Sure, there are still those awful losses hanging over their head, horror-show setbacks to the lowly Raiders, the imploding Redskins, depleted Miami, and the battered Houston Texans. But now there are quality wins of recent weeks, and early wins in the Eastern Time Zone, which hardly ever happened.

What was the last meaningful victory San Diego had? A Philip Rivers-led playoff win, coming off knee surgery, against Indianapolis? That was a long time ago, a bunch of shaky drafts and faulty roster decisions ago. It seems like another lifetime.

The roster is not perfect, still flawed on defense. There are still salary cap problems hanging over from recent bad free agent signings. And there is the never-ending bad luck-black cloud of injuries. But there is Rivers throwing, Matthews earning big boy-tough guy yards, and the dynamics of the matchup problems created by Danny Woodhead, Keenan Allen and others.

Sadly there still seems to be a disconnect with the fans, the weekly struggle to get to sellout numbers to avoid blackouts, and the lowest TV ratings the team has had since the 2007-season.

But for this weekend, there was a feel good vibe around the Lightning Bolt. Not just because they beat the hated Manning family back-to-back, not just because of a road win, but because of the bigger picture. Growing as a team, believing as a group, trusting the new leadership without a pause.

The era-of-errors from the last regime has been replaced by the fire and brimstone of a new coach and the arrival of all the things that winners are. Creative, Tenacious and Athletic.

Signature win in Denver? Yes. Statement game about the team, its Coach and its running back? Definitely.
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I thought he was a WAITER at a Hillcrest bar called SLUT
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Mike McCoy closed the Country Club he inherited from the past regime. Norv Turner's favorite pet phrase of late had become "it's fixable." McCoy replaced that with "It's not tolerable." Whereas Turner won with Marty Schottenheimer's players early on, McCoy took a bunch of losers and drove them to excel.
      Love this comment. So true.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I actually don't think we have seen the best from him yet. The impression I keep getting from McCoy is that a huge part of what he is about is developing players and making them better. Now that he really has everyones attention at a most basic level, this should be a great offeseason. Plus, now they now what they have adn what they are doing exactly. Teams always go in with an idea of doing this, doing that. But until you actually put things into action, is that really going to work? Now we know who the WR, OL, RB... are, it's about fixing very specific things to enhance the overall. And that is what makes teams great. There is a still a lot of work to do, but I think now that the first season is out of the way (almost) they are headed in the right direction.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The Denver game should have really put to rest a lot of the BS about McCoy not being HC material and is the #1 reason that Den has volunteered for time out.

To Steve's point, questions should now be asked about whether he's a championship caliber coach. Totally legitimate. I think he and Telesco need a good offseason to get this team into the playoffs next year and we'll go from there. But there is no question that the organization is headed in the right direction. I feel very good about what I am seeing from the coaching staff. When you take "nobodies" and get them to consistently perform above their station, you're accomplishing something. Or when you get rookies to play at a quality level as starters, you're coaching your asses off. Or when you're able to get patchwork units to get the job done, that's coaching. I never really felt Norv and his staff got the team to play beyond its talent level. I rarely felt they got the team to play TO its talent level. So I feel like the changes in leadership were needed and I think the decisions on their replacements have been good ones. Now we need to see if Telesco can bring in the next level of talent, fill holes, etc and whether McCoy et al can coach them up. I haven't enjoyed watching this team so much since probably 2008-9.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Oh God!

TIME TO BEAT THIS OAKLANDS
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Hacksaw seems to favor passive voice. Very dramatic.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                The Denver game should have really put to rest a lot of the BS about McCoy not being HC material and is the #1 reason that Den has volunteered for time out.

To Steve's point, questions should now be asked about whether he's a championship caliber coach. Totally legitimate. I think he and Telesco need a good offseason to get this team into the playoffs next year and we'll go from there. But there is no question that the organization is headed in the right direction. I feel very good about what I am seeing from the coaching staff. When you take "nobodies" and get them to consistently perform above their station, you're accomplishing something. Or when you get rookies to play at a quality level as starters, you're coaching your asses off. Or when you're able to get patchwork units to get the job done, that's coaching. I never really felt Norv and his staff got the team to play beyond its talent level. I rarely felt they got the team to play TO its talent level. So I feel like the changes in leadership were needed and I think the decisions on their replacements have been good ones. Now we need to see if Telesco can bring in the next level of talent, fill holes, etc and whether McCoy et al can coach them up. I haven't enjoyed watching this team so much since probably 2008-9.
                well said
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  Oh God!

If this team comes out flat and unprepared like last time I'm canceling Christmas. Again.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                    If this team comes out flat and unprepared like last time I'm canceling Christmas. Again.
                    What can I do to help?

sigpic

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Get on the god damn ladies line and sound off. Hamilton was breaking bad long before blue meth, bitches.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Time to get on this ladies lines bitches
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X