• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I thought I was quoting him and not myself.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
      I thought I was quoting him and not myself.
      I know. Its a huge design flaw imo. No worries. I edited your post to make it look like you quoted his comment.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Next year I think we draft OT first (if one of minster DT falls it will be nice. We also draft Rb in rds 2 or 3 to replace Gordon so we d t have to spend BIG bucks at RB. Just my .02

Comment

• whookimane
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
          Forget drafting a qb. Rivers will get more than $30 mil a year in his next contract. Maybe 3 years, $100 million plus. Think he's retiring anytime soon?
          Rivers is locked up for 2 more seasons right now. The only way he sniffs a 3 year 100 million dollar extension 2 years from now is if he starts having some deep payoff runs the next 2 years. If he continues to quarterback this team to roughly .500 years he is not getting that type of money as a 40 year old.. no way

Comment

• Formula 21
            Formula 21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Rivers is 36 and turns 37 in December. Brees is 39. Brady is 40. Playing through age 41, at least until December of his 5th year when he turns 42, is feasible

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with Formula 21 and would even take his reasoning one step further--if 2018 is the first of the 5 seasons, then it seems Rivers would only be turning 41 (versus 42) at the end of the 5th season, which would be the 2022 season. I am not here to say that that will happen, just that that is well within the realm of reasonable possibility.

• Panamamike
            Panamamike commented
            Editing a comment
            Seasons like last year can extend his career for sure. He hasn't taken a lot of big hits, has been healthy for the most part, we have a really talented roster, and he doesn't take unnecesary hits running the ball. He is also coming off arguably his best startistical season of his career. I believe he will be our starter at least through season 1 of the new stadium.
        • Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

One year after "seriously" contemplating retirement, Ben Roethlisberger is struggling with the Steelers' decision to draft Mason Rudolph as his heir apparent.

Roethlisberger has made it clear that Rudolph won't see the field anytime soon, stating early this week his intention to play for "three or five more years."

In a Friday morning interview with KDKA's Cook and Poni in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger expressed further displeasure, questioning the allocation of resources toward another potential quarterback of the future.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• SoDak Charger
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2014
            • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
              richpjr commented
              Editing a comment
              Everyone knows we will need his replacement and obviously pretty soon, but the timing is always the tricky part. Having a guy sit for 4 years would be a nice insurance policy, but would hurt depth on the team at another position. If it could be timed to have someone sit for a year or two would be perfect. If we had drafted a replacement 2 years ago, he might end up playing out his rookie contract and never sniffing the field

• SDFan
              SDFan commented
              Editing a comment
              speaking of the business side: 1st round QBs get a 4-5 year deal with 10's of millions guaranteed. How does a modern day GM/Ownership let an investment like that sit for a couple years not earning any return on the huge investment? It makes no business sense whatsoever. Then, from the football side, what if the guy can't play? Seems like more than 1/2 the 1st and 2nd rounders wash out nowadays. So not only are you taking away a roster spot for a guy that can help you on the field now, you also handcuff your GM & Salary Cap for several years- with a 50/50 chance it was all for nothing and you have to start all over again. Seems like the model now is play your vet QB until convinced he's done while Crap shooting lower round picks to "develop" and rent a vet to fill the gap as a short term starter until you find a young guy to build around.
              Last edited by SDFan; 05-06-2018, 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling typos

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Gwynning_Spirit commented
              Editing a comment
              SDFan, this seems like the way to go for the reasons you mentioned, plus when the vet is finally washed-up/retires or the interim guys fail, the team will be more likely to lose enough to get a better a draft pick for the next franchise QB try.
          • Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Rothlisberger was on a radio station yesterday and he wasnt real happy about them drafting Rudolph. He said he told them he wanted to play three to five more years.

Comment

• SoDak Charger
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2014
              • Send PM

Let me clear one thing up. I thought Favre was the one with the dick move.

I completely understand the need, of this and every franchise, to protect its investment and have a QB sitting in the wings ready to take over.

I remember not having a competent QB on the roster when we lost Stan Humphries. We suffered for years due to that.
              I also remember Rivers sitting behind Brees when the injury and contract issues occurred. It turned out well for both involved.

The ideal situation may be for a Steve McNair scenario. He sat on the bench for years before taking over.

Timing is everything and possibly the hardest thing to get right.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                BoltBacker commented
                Editing a comment
                problem is the last time a good QB sat was Aaron Rodgers, it is difficult to do in today's environment and probably no longer realistic.
            • Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

McNair was a second stringer for two years and in those two years he did start six games.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Hopefully Shimonek shows enough to make this all moot.
                I really think he has a legit skill set.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• blueman
                  blueman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do too for somebody riding pine.

• SDFan
                  SDFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So did Bercovici

• Maverick
                  Maverick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That....AND dude has cool 'sleeves'.
              • chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

If Shimonek had any real NFL skill set he would have been drafted. But maybe he can be the next Tom Brady who was drafted in the 6th round and be something special for the Chargers. Who knows maybe he'll show something to make third string and hell maybe even do really good in exhibition games and be the back up to Rivers. Because if he can do that I would be ecstatic and the nice thing is we wouldn't have Cardale Jones or Geno Smith as our backup QB's. but most likely he ends up on the practice squad.

Comment

• SoDak Charger
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  McNair was a second stringer for two years and in those two years he did start six games.
                  My memory failed me on that account. I would have sworn that it was more.

Comment

Working...
                  X