• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Last edited by Budsman; 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      oneinchpunch commented
      Editing a comment
      Not the barn again...

• Budsman
      Budsman commented
      Editing a comment
      No one expects the BARN!!!
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The rookies played well, still need to settle down but great first game for them. Total dominance but for turnovers and penalties (mostly from guys who will never play on Sunday) and that is with Jones in for the first half. Lynn may be all grrr but the positives are there already (and I think he knows it).

Comment

• Rugger05
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Preseason football is so hard to watch....

I did think most of the rookies played well and flashed some serious potential. Cardale Jones is not an NFL QB. Chargers are deep at WR & DB. The play of Nwosu and White gives me hope of their depth at LB. Good seeing no major injuires minus Tevi, hope he is OK.

I must give TT credit, the depth on this team is far superior to any Charger team I have seen in a long time. With Henry going down TE is a concern and I will always worry about the kicker situation. That being said I look forward to this season

Comment

• richpjr
        richpjr commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with everything you posted. After watching our TE last night, I hope TT is on the phone with Gates today.

• Bolt-O
        Bolt-O commented
        Editing a comment
        It's the normal "Condon v. McGuire" games on getting Gates signed. Everyone knows this is going to happen, it's either timing or 'respect'.
    • Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

The depth looks much more talented this year than last pre season. Especially the defense. I think we have to find a way to keep Artavis and Davis. Culkin even flashed some.

Back up QB and PK are still major issues.

The rookies on D will plug in nicely with the rest of the starters. I think our D is much better than last year when the season starts.

Gordon didnt seem to have much room to run. Again. I think our pass protection will be good but run blocking hopefully will get better with more advanced playcalling. I liked the sweep that sprung Gordon.

Mike Williams looked amazing. And i really expect our offense to be one of the best in the league. Ekeler could be better than Woodhead and a much better runner between the tackles. Im starting to think he could be a legit 3 down back if Gordon goes down. What an addition to this offense.

Uchena is a monster. He is polished as a run stopping LB but also a beast pass rusher. Really excited about his future. Loved the play where he forces a throw Rosen and James is there to stop it. White made a mental mistake or 2 but he looked good.

Comment

• Budsman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        The depth looks much more talented this year than last pre season. Especially the defense. I think we have to find a way to keep Artavis and Davis. Culkin even flashed some.

Back up QB and PK are still major issues.

The rookies on D will plug in nicely with the rest of the starters. I think our D is much better than last year when the season starts.

Gordon didnt seem to have much room to run. Again. I think our pass protection will be good but run blocking hopefully will get better with more advanced playcalling. I liked the sweep that sprung Gordon.

Mike Williams looked amazing. And i really expect our offense to be one of the best in the league. Ekeler could be better than Woodhead and a much better runner between the tackles. Im starting to think he could be a legit 3 down back if Gordon goes down. What an addition to this offense.

Uchena is a monster. He is polished as a run stopping LB but also a beast pass rusher. Really excited about his future. Loved the play where he forces a throw Rosen and James is there to stop it. White made a mental mistake or 2 but he looked good.

Comment

• richpjr
          richpjr commented
          Editing a comment
          Jones seems to have made zero improvement since last year, which is kind of scary. When he came in last year he didn't know the playbook so I wasn't terrible surprised by how poor he was. Now after spending all of last season and this entire off season with the coaching staff that excuse is gone. He still looks tentative and has horrible accuracy and I really don't have any reason to think he'll ever get much better. Smith is...Smith, a mediocre QB with turnover problems. He is what he is and won't get better either. I know we are in a world of hurt if Rivers goes down, but I almost think Clemons would be better than either.
      • blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I would like to see Shimonek with decent blocking and better receivers. Lynn said he wanted to give Jones a chance, how about giving the kid one?

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Cant get over Uchena. Reminds me a lot of Derek Barnett. I really feel like we got a first round talent. I was a huge fan of his pre draft.

Also Shiminek was clearly nervous. He was extremely accurate in college. He was long on a bunch of throws last night. He just needs to settle and get some reps with higher classed players.

At any rate i bet Geno gets the bulk of next game over Jones.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Panamamike commented
            Editing a comment
            He is a MUCH better athlete than Barnett. As he gains strength his ceiling as both a pass rusher and all around LB is also much higher IMO.
        • Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Cant get over Uchena. Reminds me a lot of Derek Barnett. I really feel like we got a first round talent. I was a huge fan of his pre draft.

Also Shiminek was clearly nervous. He was extremely accurate in college. He was long on a bunch of throws last night. He just needs to settle and get some reps with higher classed players.

At any rate i bet Geno gets the bulk of next game over Jones.
          Uchena played awesome and he seems like a steal in the 2nd round. I really think this could be a very solid draft for Bolts, like 2016.

I agree that Geno needs to get reps with the 2nd team next week. Jones is not an NFL QB and that experiment needs to end ASAP.

This will be a very fun team to watch this year

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Comment

• CTrout
              CTrout commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Landrum was beating his man every play. I even thought to myself...who the hell is #46..ha.
          • OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Pre-Season game one everybody agrees Rivers needs to stay healthy, Jones showed no improvement as others has stated, and Smith is who he is and I don't care for him either. I think we should keep our eye on the New York Jets situation Sam Darnold makes the team he was their 1st round pick and showed well in their Pre-season opener, but I doubt they keep, both Bridgewater and McCown, I would take either one of those guys in a heartbeat over Smith. Jones is going to be cut.
            Last edited by OhioBolt; 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
              Gwynning_Spirit commented
              Editing a comment
              McCown has a 10mil guaranteed contract for the year, so I doubt it's going to be him unless they're willing to eat all that.

• OhioBolt
              OhioBolt commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't realize McCown was getting paid like that!!!! Moving on there has to be someone more reliable than Geno Smith. What about RGIII, Baltimore has Flaco and Lamarr Johnoson.

• Rugger05
              Rugger05 commented
              Editing a comment
              I highly doubt Geno is going anywhere. Lynn likes him from his days with days as the Jets RB coach. Plus he said he wants a mobile QB, so doubtful he goes anywhere
          • foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

All of our current QBs stay, Lynn is in charge no matter what some of you HC pretenders think...

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Smith is comparable to bottom-tier starters, so not bad for a backup.

Comment

• richpjr
                richpjr commented
                Editing a comment
                Smith will be the backup just because he has game experience, but is just a mediocre QB with a penchant for turnovers at the wrong time.
            Working...
            X