• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I complained about this a lot last season and for good reason

That is if the Chargers are going to have a sucsessful run at a superbowl then our run defense has to vastly improve. Because when it really matters come playoff time and we're the worst run defense in the NFL we won't make it past the first round. My hope is that we can get in a top 15 rush defense along with our number 1 pass defense and this defense could be very scary.
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
    That is if the Chargers are going to have a sucsessful run at a superbowl then our run defense has to vastly improve. Because when it really matters come playoff time and we're the worst run defense in the NFL we won't make it past the first round. My hope is that we can get in a top 15 rush defense along with our number 1 pass defense and this defense could be very scary.
    Take a look at all the playoff teams and where they ranked vs the run. Sure i would like to see a big improvement, but success on D comes down to stopping the pass, executing on 3rd down, and red zone D. We excelled at all 3 last year. We have been shitting the bed on special teams. That has been the phase that has hurt us most IMO.

Comment

• Chargerville
      Chargerville commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah but the actual team that WON the Super Bowl finished the season ranked #1 against the run.
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Yeah i forgot how bad our special teams was last year especially the kicking game. But I disagree with you that Special Teams was our biggest problem last year. Yes the kicking game cost us a few games but imo the run defense was the biggest issue on this team.

Comment

• Chargerville
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

You have to at least be able to control the line of scrimmage on one side of the ball (offense or defense) to probably have a real shot at being a true contender. Typically outside of a few exceptions, not being to run the ball on offense AND stop the run on defense is a combination that WILL get to beat.

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post
        You have to at least be able to control the line of scrimmage on one side of the ball (offense or defense) to probably have a real shot at being a true contender. Typically outside of a few exceptions, not being to run the ball on offense AND stop the run on defense is a combination that WILL get to beat.
        Yeah I didn't even mention our offensive run game. I thought we were abysmal in that also but I do believe having Pouncey at center and having Lamp for a full season will make a huge difference and i can honestly see Gordon rushing for 1400 yards. My problem with Gordon is he dances around to much looking for a hole to run through instead of just pounding the hole and busting through.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

More Ekeler on early downs could fix that problem.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

I though our run D improved with Perrys return. We were stout when the field became short which is probably the most important. 1styear on a new defense too... dont forget that. We added some nice pieces through the draft which I think is going to help down the stretch. Most top teams still have areas for improvement too. This will not be the same D as last year.

We get a lot of talent infused this year with MW and lamp coming back. We had rookies really step up last year. We have really solid depth in most places. Offensively we are stacked well and an offense that ca score quickly can drive teams toabandon the run too.

im not worried yet. Give this new team a chance.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Lamp has yet to play in any sort of NFL game......He wont be starting for a while.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                X