Chef at Chargers pre-game news and discussion.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

Andy will have something ready, bank on it.

Remember last season, they came out slinging the deep ball against the Pats.

Their RB scares the bejeezus out of me. Their TE is good, and they have a great deep threat.

All that said, our team is more talented. But they do scare me. This is the kind of game we have found ways to lose in the past.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

We have to stop the run and make them one dimensional, that may sound cleche, but they have a young QB and you want to put the weight of the game on him to win and not to manage it. What has changed from last year.

1. There Defense isn't as good as last year, as where we have improved in talent and speed, but still have questions about ability to stop the run
      2. Our O-line should be improved with Pouncey and Lamp
      3. If Mike Williams shows up it will easy the lose of Henry and we should be more dynamic because O-line see above and Eckler looks like he's stepping up, so more weapons more problems for our opponents
      4. We should be improved in kicking game and explosive in kick return game, but KC is good in that area also

The Edge.
      Coaching- Andy Reid is good regular season coach, something happens with him in playoffs not just KC but also his time in Philly. I hope Coach Lynn has stepped up his coaching ability. Lynn has me concern about his acessment of Cardelle Jones unless this is coming from management it. I hope we kept the right kicker!

Go Chargers Go!

Comment

• Panamamike
        Panamamike commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Lynn did a helluva job keeping the team focused through the circus offseason and a shitshow start (of which he has some culpability). I am of the opposite view. I have becime a strong Lynn supporter after watching him guide the team last year.
    • Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Always take away what the other team does best.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Big Dog
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

By the Numbers

In 2017, the Chargers ranked fourth in total offense (376.6 yards per game), first in passing (276.9 ypg), 24th in rushing (99.7 ypg) and 13th in points (22.2). The Chiefs ranked fifth in total offense (376.4 ypg), seventh in passing (265.5 ypg), ninth in rushing (118,9 ypg) and sixth in points (25.9).

Defensively, the Bolts ranked 15th in total defense (328.4 ypg), third in passing (197.2 ypg), 31st in rushing (131.1 ypg) and third in points allowed (17.0). Kansas City ranked 28th in total defense (365.1 ypg), 28th in passing (247.0 ypg), 25th in rushing (118.1 ypg) and 15th in points allowed (21.2).

Chargers score 22.2 and Chiefs allow 21.2 means Chargers = 21.7
        Chiefs score 25.9 and Chargers allow 17.0 means Chiefs = 21.45

OMG its a TIE

Comment

• blueman
          blueman commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm, seems our D is trending up, while there D is trending down. Plus remains to be seen how the change in QB does for them. By the (adjusted) numbers, I give us a big edge.
      • Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

AFC win-total projections: Patrick Mahomes-led Chiefs own West
        Print
        • By Cynthia Frelund
        • NFL Network Analytics Expert
        • Published: Sept. 5, 2018 at 08:49 a.m.
        • Updated: Sept. 5, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
        • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

Kansas City Chiefs: 10.39 wins (projected AFC West champions)

Ceiling: 12.2
        Floor: 7.9

The AFC's biggest boom-or-bust team in my model projects to win the West. The Chiefs are handing the keys (and potentially the most well-rounded supporting cast in the NFL) to Patrick Mahomes. To make a big leap, the Chiefs must fix the 29th-ranked pass defense from last season, and they'll have to do it without star CB Marcus Peters. The good news is that three-time All-Pro safety Eric Berry is on his way back from an injury that basically cost him the entire 2017 campaign. Furthermore, the acquisition of cornerback Kendall Fuller in the Alex Smith trade helps mitigate the loss of Peters. If inside linebackers Anthony Hitchens and Reggie Ragland can reduce opponents' ability to rush against the Chiefs, K.C. could be set up for a deep playoff run.

Los Angeles Chargers: 9.5 wins (projected wild card)

Ceiling: 10.2
        Floor: 8.6

The interior of the Chargers' O-line has already shown signs of improvement. Yes, for the umpteenth time, I know preseason football can only tell you so much, but the starting offensive line's push-back measurements were considerably better than last year. That kind of improvement is directly tied to better offensive efficiency. Especially good news for Melvin Gordon in the run game.

Denver Broncos: 8.4 wins

Ceiling: 9.4
        Floor: 7.3

I am not overweighting preseason information, but in the throws I have been able to track, Case Keenum has gotten the ball within a three-foot halo of his receivers at a rate that is almost 30 percent higher than any of the Broncos' QBs in the past two seasons. This should help address Denver's turnover woes from 2017, when the Broncos ranked second-to-last with 34 giveaways. Also, Royce Freeman has shown the potential to be a high-YAC back, breaking more tackles than Devontae Booker over the last month. (Again, I know it was the preseason, but this is something to monitor.)

Oakland Raiders: 5.71 wins

Ceiling: 6.2
        Floor: 4.3

In my model, the departed Khalil Mack was worth 1.1 wins, given his elite edge-rushing ability. One positive note: Amari Cooper's projections indicate a big bounce-back season, due to a more diverse playbook under head coach Jon Gruden.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

Yanked our game capsule and game book from my NFL Media account. Sharing them w/ you via my Google drive. Enjoy!

Week 1 Game Capsule:

Week 1 Game Book:

Comment

• Rugger05
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            AFC win-total projections: Patrick Mahomes-led Chiefs own West
            Print
            • By Cynthia Frelund
            • NFL Network Analytics Expert
            • Published: Sept. 5, 2018 at 08:49 a.m.
            • Updated: Sept. 5, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
            • 0 Likes | 0 Comments

Kansas City Chiefs: 10.39 wins (projected AFC West champions)

Ceiling: 12.2
            Floor: 7.9

The AFC's biggest boom-or-bust team in my model projects to win the West. The Chiefs are handing the keys (and potentially the most well-rounded supporting cast in the NFL) to Patrick Mahomes. To make a big leap, the Chiefs must fix the 29th-ranked pass defense from last season, and they'll have to do it without star CB Marcus Peters. The good news is that three-time All-Pro safety Eric Berry is on his way back from an injury that basically cost him the entire 2017 campaign. Furthermore, the acquisition of cornerback Kendall Fuller in the Alex Smith trade helps mitigate the loss of Peters. If inside linebackers Anthony Hitchens and Reggie Ragland can reduce opponents' ability to rush against the Chiefs, K.C. could be set up for a deep playoff run.

Los Angeles Chargers: 9.5 wins (projected wild card)

Ceiling: 10.2
            Floor: 8.6

The interior of the Chargers' O-line has already shown signs of improvement. Yes, for the umpteenth time, I know preseason football can only tell you so much, but the starting offensive line's push-back measurements were considerably better than last year. That kind of improvement is directly tied to better offensive efficiency. Especially good news for Melvin Gordon in the run game.

Denver Broncos: 8.4 wins

Ceiling: 9.4
            Floor: 7.3

I am not overweighting preseason information, but in the throws I have been able to track, Case Keenum has gotten the ball within a three-foot halo of his receivers at a rate that is almost 30 percent higher than any of the Broncos' QBs in the past two seasons. This should help address Denver's turnover woes from 2017, when the Broncos ranked second-to-last with 34 giveaways. Also, Royce Freeman has shown the potential to be a high-YAC back, breaking more tackles than Devontae Booker over the last month. (Again, I know it was the preseason, but this is something to monitor.)

Oakland Raiders: 5.71 wins

Ceiling: 6.2
            Floor: 4.3

In my model, the departed Khalil Mack was worth 1.1 wins, given his elite edge-rushing ability. One positive note: Amari Cooper's projections indicate a big bounce-back season, due to a more diverse playbook under head coach Jon Gruden.
            Do people realize how bad the Chief's defense is going to be? Cannot wait for Rivers & Co. to hang 40+ on them Sunday

Comment

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              They are going to be a great over team and Team total over for their opponents. They have no pass rush and replaced 5 DBs and berry is not 100%. Hitches is not very quick and Ragland has thus far been a disappointment as a pro. I love that the market is over valuing this unit. Show me the moneyyyyyyy.
          • oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Eric Berry (heel) is not practicing on Wednesday.

Coach Andy Reid reiterated Berry is day to day. The Chiefs turned over their entire secondary, shedding six cornerbacks from last year's team and plan to start Ron Parker at one of the two safety spots after he was just signed over the weekend. Philip Rivers is in a glorious spot at home Sunday.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Spend a little time reading the equivalent thread on ChiefsPlanet and just about all of them think this is a slam dunk win for the Chiefs. Their defense doesn't suck, they have been hiding things. Mahommes is going to demolish our overrated defense. Our best player is gone. I think they actually are talking about Liuget - our best player? WTF? We could absolutely lose this game like any other, but they really have some vastly inflated opinions about their team. I really look forward to cold reality setting in for them late Sunday afternoon.

Comment

• Charged4Life
                Charged4Life commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't blame them. They beat us so often I would expect a W if I was them. That doesn't mean they're going to get it.
            • Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

My advice to the team. Be afraid and prepare like it. Andy Reid OWNS the Bolts.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Comment

• Joy Division
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

If the Chargers score more points than the Chiefs, they will win.

Bank on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X